Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Rescue my finger nails

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have grown my own finger nails, for the first time ever! Where's my medal? Anyway, they're all just past the tips of my fingers, problem is they've got tiny slits starting about halfway down the white on a few of them- you know what I mean? Like the start of a tear! I don't want to pull it or file them down, because then I'd have to file them all down that short and start again. Do you have any rescue remedies so that I can repair the tears and keep them long?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have nail stickers which you can stick on to stop them tearing off completely (a cover of clear nail polish, and they're pretty permanent!) I got them from The Nail Bar, but you could ask a local nail salon or go to your local beauty trade shop (we have a Sally's here, where they probably sell them).
    ah ok! I'll look for them. Too late now- my poor nails! One caught and ripped so I've had to file them all downa bit, but ot as short as the rip ones.
    Moisturise. Apparently.
    yep, get a decent hand and nail cream and massage it in to the cuticles, as well as the rest of the hands everyday.
    oo and what files are you using? metal files can damage and split nails, emery boards (sp?) are better
    yup yup, using emery board. have been using cocoa and shea butter cream on my hands. I heard that eating a cube of jelly a day makes them grow stronger and faster- any truth?
    not sure about that, but having a balanced diet will help your nails. you can also get multi vitamins that are specifically for strengthening nails and hair, might be worth a go
    fabric conditioner can be good, but I have no practical experiece of this stuff, just sometimes listen to woman's hour.
    that's odd! What do you do with the fabric conditioner, just rub it into your nails?
    I like http://www.nutranail.com/drythinproducts.shtml#1229 (not a polish) and http://www.sallyhansen.com/nail_treatment/nat_miracle.cfm (yes polish) is like my own little god. OH I love it. And here, from the first one is a tidbit on splitting nails http://www.nutranail.com/nail-tips.shtml#splitting