Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Death

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't know if this is even the right place but anyway ..

so what do you all think happens when you die ?

i used to think reincarnation but after the other day i just dont know any more. i guess i want to know what everyone else thinks.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm agnostic. I believe no one knows what happens and we only know when we get there. If we go out like a light though, we'l never know!
    I dont really believe in life after death and all that i just think we die and thats it but i suppose we will never find out until its our time to go
    You become worm food. The end.
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I'm agnostic. I believe no one knows what happens and we only know when we get there. If we go out like a light though, we'l never know!

:yes:

maybe i agree with that a bit

but its so depressing im starting to just think, thats that.
    Can I just say, whilst this is all very interesting, why is it in Politics and Debate?

Its got nothing to do with politics, and there is nothing to debate, as far as I can see. All you are doing is asking people what their (arbitrary) belief is.
    carlito wrote: »
    Can I just say, whilst this is all very interesting, why is it in Politics and Debate?

Its got nothing to do with politics, and there is nothing to debate, as far as I can see. All you are doing is asking people what their (arbitrary) belief is.

Surely people can debate on the answers given?
    Fuck knows. Don't really think about those sort of things these days, too young to be getting stressed out over shit like that.
    I'm almost 100% certain it's not re-incarnation.

I'm agnostic, but I'm pretty sure there's something after death. You look at the world, you look into space, and you look at the universe. Everything works too... perfectly. There's way too many "random coincidences" that happen alongside each other, working in unison to make life happen. If you have any understanding of space, of how planets are formed, how atmospheres are formed, how life comes into being, from the start of life on Earth, from microbes, bacteria, single celled organisms... how everything depends on something else. I mean, why does it need to? Why doesn't the stuff that forms planets just clump together then nothing? Why do they work with other elements to produce air? Water? People? Why do people then go on to find a use for pretty much everything? Be it important or not, everything can be used for something. It all fits too perfectly to be just coincidence, or to just end at death.

I have a day off and have been skinning up all morning... is it obvious?

EDIT: HONESTLY, do you have any idea how much of a statistical improbability it is that all the events from the birth of the universe until now allow us to be here?
    carlito wrote: »

I suspect an atheistic biologist could argue very convincingly that there was nothing arbitrary about his views.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Sometimes i go through a passing phase where I believe in reincarnation. However, I constantly believe there is an afterlife or heaven, whatever you prefer to call it. If I didnt believe in that I would go a bit crazy. I dont like the thought of people being gone forever, I like the idea you will eventually meet again one day when you have passed away.

My friend died a few years ago, and his parents went on a programme to attempt to speak to him via a medium. I know he came through, as the answers he was giving could in no way shape or form be made up and co-incidental like many sceptics say. They were little personal bits that only certain people knew.

Don't think of him as gone forever hun, just think of it as though he has had to go to another place. And I know some people may not think that is a healthy way of looking at things, but its the only way I have ever got through dealing with death.
    Surely people can debate on the answers given?

I suppose so...but its not really a debate is it? Its just stating your beliefs again.
    Capt. Coathanger:
    I suspect an atheistic biologist could argue very convincingly that there was nothing arbitrary about his views.

His general views, yes, but not what happens at moment of death, or afterwards. If there was to be any rational discussion the only conclusion to be drawn would be that we don't know.

I suppose its possible to debate what we mean by "death" though. Heart stopping? Brain activity stops? Fingernails and hair stop growing? Impossible to revive the "corpse"? That might be quite interesting. Theres probably accounts from people who have "died" saying what they experienced.
    Well quite, at the moment I believe that the matter and energy used to constitute my being probably came from a star, in the last instant. So in that sense my constituent matter and energy will not return to a greater whole, but will merely change form.

Lots of exciting things could happen; I could be a bit of a star or something.
    I'm going to be conventional and go for the heaven answer. Not so sure about the good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell thing but I like to think that the wisdom and the skills of people don't just go out like a light.

I reckon it's a 'discussion' so probably sits in P&D, not everything in here has to be a political row.

I quite like that idea, even if it remind me of The Lion King.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    EDIT: HONESTLY, do you have any idea how much of a statistical improbability it is that all the events from the birth of the universe until now allow us to be here?
    Going to have to disagree here. Do you really think with the incomprehensible scale of the universe there is such a thing as a statisical improbability.

We got lucky, perfect age of, and distance from a star. Good weather conditions, water, oxygen etc. After death there is nothing, just as before life there was nothing.
    Going to have to disagree here. Do you really think with the incomprehensible scale of the universe there is such a thing as a statisical improbability.

I guess it depends on what your idea of an improbability is, and from which point of view you look at it. 1 in 1,000,000,000? That's pretty improbable. But given that there are estimated to be 3,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Earth like planets in the universe... not so improbable anymore.
    Exactly.
    Just to say, this is obviously the right place for people to discuss and debate their views on what happens after death, if posters don't want to do that then feel free not to post in the thread...
    Jim V wrote: »
    Just to say, this is obviously the right place for people to discuss and debate their views on what happens after death, if posters don't want to do that then feel free not to post in the thread...

Fair enough...I wouldn't say it was obvious though. My point was that there isn't really anything to debate. Its simply stating your opinion. *shrug*
    I like to keep my mind open when it comes to this kinda thing.
    I like the idea of reincarnation, but I'm not sure how much I really believe in it. I think a probable idea is the theory that we are all kept alive by a sort of energy force, and when we die, that force leaves our body, but still lingers, either as some sort of spirit (no I'm not talking about a Casper type Ghost), or as another life form, or maybe, as someone else said, they form stars or planets.
    On the other hand, we could just die, end of, but I don't like thinking about it like that. I guess we'll see when the time comes.
    I believe in reincarnation. I believe when you die you body and soul are no longer I think you come back and live life again. I don't have anything scientific to back up my beliefs, its just what i choose to believe. Guess I will find out when i get to the pearly gates. Dont fancy being a ghost though, too much like hard work all that haunting people. :thumb:
    just as before life there was nothing.

See this is why I'm agnostic, surely you're purely guessing this statement because that's what you think, not that you have proof?
    although I strggle with the concept of nothing, I think there's probably nothing after death. We are but tinsey tiny blips.
    I think theres just nothing. The light goes out. Goodbye.
    It'd be nice to think the soul lives on and comes back in another life, but i just cant see it. The concious mind just switches off like when you are asleep and the body stops functioning, then you're gone.
    You just cease to exist - the only thing left of you is other peoples memories and when they die they take you with them.

Humans just like to believe there is something, makes them feel better.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    No idea. There's no proof either way, so can't say.
    Well quite, at the moment I believe that the matter and energy used to constitute my being probably came from a star, in the last instant. So in that sense my constituent matter and energy will not return to a greater whole, but will merely change form.

I like this one :) I'd be inclined to agree that nothing supernatural happens after death, and if there is... well, I'll find out one day wont I? :p

I very much doubt it though.
    I found it interesting to learn that by the time you die, you will not have a single cell in your body that was there when you were born. In effect, you are a completely different set of atoms, yet you are still the same consciousness with the same memories of things which you technically weren't there for. There was a scientific explination for this, but it was getting to the stage where it was far too complicated for me to understand.

The fact that I can picture a logical evolutionary reason for believing in an afterlife (the idea of sacrificing yourself for your children to survive, for example), it makes me sceptical that it is anything more than just that. Obviously matter never disappears, and will always continue to exist, but I think that since the chemical reactions that make up what we refer to as our consciousness, or mind, or soul, stop happening, this "mind" ceases to exist also.
    I found it interesting to learn that by the time you die, you will not have a single cell in your body that was there when you were born.

unless you're stillborn, eh?