Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

National Insurance card

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just got accepted for a summer job. I have my National Insurance number but they want to see the actual card, which I have misplaced! Can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know how to get another one sent to you or anything? Can you do anything about it online?

Comments

• Options
    Addict wrote: »
    Just got accepted for a summer job. I have my National Insurance number but they want to see the actual card, which I have misplaced! Can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone know how to get another one sent to you or anything? Can you do anything about it online?

I lost mine not long ago. You cant order one online (i dont think) you have to call them up ad request a new one, but do it now as i was told it can take upto 10 weeks. I think mine took about 6 weeks to arrive.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I lost mine not long ago. You cant order one online (i dont think) you have to call them up ad request a new one, but do it now as i was told it can take upto 10 weeks. I think mine took about 6 weeks to arrive.

fuck sake, that's no good to me!

hmmm, how do i get a P60 or P45 then?
  • Options
    This is where you need to start the ball rolling for you NI card

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/ynino.htm#c

The NI peeps do send you confirmation of your NI number on paper while the card is being made. My employer was happy to accept this as it had all the info they needed. Might be worth thinking about.

EDIT: A Revenue form P60 is issued to employees by their employer at the end of each tax year, which runs from April 6 one year to April 5 the next

A p45 should be given with your final wage packet.
  • Options

It says pop into your local HMRC office, but to be honest all we do is direct you to the National Insurance helpine for employees - which I can't find the number for!!

I have no idea why employers are getting so het up about seeing the cards. They can start you off with a temporary national insurance number and that will trigger HMRC into obtaining your correct one and notifying your employer of it.

Your P60 would have been given to you by your employer at 5th April 2007. If you left an employer before the 5th April they would have provided you with a P45 instead. Those documents aren't proof of your national insurance number at all as they are forms produced by a payroll department, not the national insurance office.
  • Options

It says pop into your local HMRC office, but to be honest all we do is direct you to the National Insurance helpine for employees - which I can't find the number for!!

I have no idea why employers are getting so het up about seeing the cards. They can start you off with a temporary national insurance number and that will trigger HMRC into obtaining your correct one and notifying your employer of it.

Your P60 would have been given to you by your employer at 5th April 2007. If you left an employer before the 5th April they would have provided you with a P45 instead. Those documents aren't proof of your national insurance number at all as they are forms produced by a payroll department, not the national insurance office.

cheers for the info - if you get hold of that number let me know!

i'm a student and didn't have an employer to give me these annual documents. i don't have a P45 either. my last taxed work was 2 summers ago (last summer i worked on a youth project in the usa).

what should be my plan of action to sort this?
  • Options
    If you have no P45 to pass on from your last job then all you can do is complete a P46 when you start your summer job. You need to stick statement A which now says "This is my first job since 6th April" and you can also complete a form P38(s) as you are a student and this is only a summer job - that will stop you from being taxed but you will still pay national insurance if you earn in excess of £100 a week.

I've had another look around this morning and I think this is the phone number you need, however it isn't the same one we use at work.

National Insurance Registration Helpline 0845 915 7006

That number deals with replacement cards and the inital allocation of National Insurance numbers, so it's probably exactly the one you need.

Here is the link for the form P38(s) - not all employers have supplies of these. You need to complete the form, give it to your employer and they complete their bit and submit them to HMRC at the end of the financial year. Your new employer will have a supply of P46 forms.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p38s.pdf
  • Options
    Thanks Joolyknockers, I rang that helpline and asked them about a replacement card. They told me it could take up to 10 weeks though (like Calvin said) but the guy said they could send me out a proof of National Insurance letter. Hopefully that will suffice for the new job because I haven't a clue how I'd get a P60 or P45. If I rang the employers from my last taxed job (2 summers ago) would they be able to help me? All I ever got from them was payslips, but apparently payslips don't suffice for this new job.
  • Options
    I didn't realise they were demanding a P45/P60 off you as well! Is it to proove your identity or something? The documents will be no use to them for payroll purposes at this point in the year.

Basically if you haven't got one, you haven't got one. They should be able to see from your CV that you haven't been in employment for 2 years. If you weren't employed at 5th April then there is no employer to give you a P60. Fair enough, maybe you should have your form P45 from two years ago but it's of no use to the payroll department as they cannot use a P45 more than 10 weeks old. I think you should explain this to them and ask what they suggest.

Out of noseyness is it a small business or a well known company?
  • Options

Out of noseyness is it a small business or a well known company?

It's a very big well known company.

They don't want a P45 and P60 as well as a National Insurance card, just when I told them I didn't have my card they mentioned those.

I'm hoping the letter will suffice. I really don't know why they need all this stuff. No other job I've ever went for has required me to have any of these - usually just having my national insurance number sufficed.
  • Options
    Oh I see :)

The letter from the Contributions Agency will be enough I imagine. I know some places ask to see your passport too. I think the problem stems from migrant workers / asylum seekers trying to work in this country without going through the interview process for their National Insurance numbers and just making them up instead.

I know what you mean though - I work for HMRC and all I was ever asked for when I started was my name, address, date of birth and whether I was bankrupt or not LOL. No proof required!!
  • Options
    I've been asked for proof of ID and uk working status at interview stage for jobs recently so I think the companies are getting hotter on it. Can't remember if it does but perhaps your letter from Student Loans Company with your loan info has your NI number on it? And surely that would be the same sort of evidence as a P60/P45?