Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

do you ever wonder... (warning, rant)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
do you ever wonder if anything is real?

there is no way to interpret the outside world beyond what our senses tell us, the epistemological dualism suggests that everything our brain "sees" is merely a representation of the outside world, rather than a direct observation of the world itself. (not that this is the only theory of the mind of course)

it's also not possible to prove that everything we experience is anything but a dream.

and what of the point of existence? isnt it depressing that the sole purpose of religion boils down to give people a feeling of self worth? unknowingly perhaps, believers embrace the comfort of religion as an alternative to the cold fact that we humans are of no importance beyond what we make for ourselves.

I cant be the only one who gets frustrated with the stupidity of humanity sometimes. people believing in something with such absolute certainty that they kill their fellow man, is not a good thing. other people manipulating those with belief in some absolute certainty also disgusts me.

considering myself to be technically an agnostic, I'm shocked to see so called "rational" atheists attacking religion with what can only be described as religious zeal.

the rational thought process seems lost on those of faith, and those of complete non faith. whilst there is no proof for a god, and the existence of such a being I deem highly unlikely, there is no proof of non existence either. I believe in rational thought process, theory, experimentation, and evidence. I'd like to call myself a rationalist, but the zealot atheists seem to have stolen that one. I tend to agree with them most of the time, but they really need to accept the fact that you can never be absolutely certain.

"well, what caused the big bang, dummy?"

comes the cries of the religious in badly spelt comments to atheist's videos... for one thing, it's only the most accepted theory at the current time. for another thing, there are many astrophysicists who hold theories counter to that.

science not holding all the answers does not mean your religious beliefs are correct. science is proven wrong every day, but THAT'S THE POINT. theorise, test, prove it wrong, come up with new theory... dont blindly believe something for the sole reason that you have all your life.

I think I'm going slightly mad. :banghead:

Comments

• Options
    Mate i didn't understand any of that.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »

there is no way to interpret the outside world beyond what our senses tell us, the epistemological dualism suggests that everything our brain "sees" is merely a representation of the outside world, rather than a direct observation of the world itself. (not that this is the only theory of the mind of course)

it's also not possible to prove that everything we experience is anything but a dream.

and what of the point of existence? isnt it depressing that the sole purpose of religion boils down to give people a feeling of self worth? unknowingly perhaps, believers embrace the comfort of religion as an alternative to the cold fact that we humans are of no importance beyond what we make for ourselves.

I cant be the only one who gets frustrated with the stupidity of humanity sometimes. people believing in something with such absolute certainty that they kill their fellow man, is not a good thing. other people manipulating those with belief in some absolute certainty also disgusts me.

considering myself to be technically an agnostic, I'm shocked to see so called "rational" atheists attacking religion with what can only be described as religious zeal.

the rational thought process seems lost on those of faith, and those of complete non faith. whilst there is no proof for a god, and the existence of such a being I deem highly unlikely, there is no proof of non existence either. I believe in rational thought process, theory, experimentation, and evidence. I'd like to call myself a rationalist, but the zealot atheists seem to have stolen that one. I tend to agree with them most of the time, but they really need to accept the fact that you can never be absolutely certain.

comes the cries of the religious in badly spelt comments to atheist's videos... for one thing, it's only the most accepted theory at the current time. for another thing, there are many astrophysicists who hold theories counter to that.

science not holding all the answers does not mean your religious beliefs are correct. science is proven wrong every day, but THAT'S THE POINT. theorise, test, prove it wrong, come up with new theory... dont blindly believe something for the sole reason that you have all your life.

Maybe you should spend a bit less time thinking :p
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Maybe you should spend a bit less time thinking :p

I know :(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Don't listen to her, I think you're doing good to think of all that. :thumb:
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »

Ah, the meaning of life, huh? ;)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    Ah, the meaning of life, huh? ;)

well perhaps somewhat of an existential crisis, but I really am not too fussed by the insignificance of my existance beyond what I make for it myself.

It's more frustration at the petty squabbles of those who's particular brand of absolute certainty is different to someone else's.

am I pissed off that some/many people are uneducated and seem to lack the ability of rational thought? I have no idea. probably.

never mind the philosophical concerns on the theories of conciousness, representations and other wonderfully mind boggling things that I really have not read enough about.
  • Options
    I don't think it should sueprise anyone (re: a supposed meaning of life) that if there is an ultimate, and therefore infinite form of understanding; that humans as finite beings do not have access to it.
  • Options
    I don't think it should sueprise anyone (re: a supposed meaning of life) that if there is an ultimate, and therefore infinite form of understanding; that humans as finite beings do not have access to it.

I would agree with that. I dont know what I'm so pissed off with, seriously starting to get to me that people are still not beyond squabbling over different zealous irrational beliefs
  • Options
    an interesting guy to look at on this in a more applied sense is;

Jean Baudrillard

in particular a little book called 'Simulacra and Simulation'; its not the easiest stuff in the world to read but he makes some good points.
  • Options
    I'll have to look into that when I get some more time, thanks for the link :)
  • Options
    Sometimes I'd rather be a Joe Bloggs who never has these worries. Actually, most of the time.

Just calm down and go with the flow, no one knows the answers.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Sometimes I'd rather be a Joe Bloggs who never has these worries. Actually, most of the time.

I know what you mean, ignorance is bliss after all :yes:
  • Options
    While I am relatively certain there is no "higher power", I cede there may be. However, I am convinced that any (unlikely) "prime mover" is not deserving of worship, so I'm happy to say there is no god.

Atheist, humanist, or agnostic? who cares. The invisible pink unicorn loves you anyway.
  • Options
    I don't like this argument that the only logical position is to be an agnostic. And I also think that a lot of people don't get what the difference between an athiest and an agnostic is in this respect. But firstly, it can never be considered logical to ignore everything your senses are telling you. Are they right? You can never 100% know, but that doesn't make that a logical position to take, because the logical position would be to go with where all of the evidence is pointing towards (and personally, it's that I'm a living, breathing, real thing and the world we live in is equally real). People seem to think that being an athiest means that you claim to be 100% certain that there is no god, which simply isn't true. Like everything else, it is simply saying that based on all the evidence available to me (through my senses and through scientific tools), the probability of their being no god vastly outweigh the chances of their being a god (to the same degree that the probability of me existing vastly outweight the chances of all of this just being a dream or whatever). And so it's entirely logical position not to believe that a god exists.

But not only do I not see how anyone can argue that this isn't the case, I can't see why they would want to. One is based on logic and scientific method, and the other is based on faith (as we are constantly reminded by "the laws of physics don't apply to God, so he can never be proved or disproved"). The only reason I can think of, is that people want to portray religious ideas as having equal scientific merit, and are willing to do so by trying to rubbish scientific claims, rather than demonstrate any scientific evidence to their own claims (case in point, the creationism in science lessons debacle).
  • Options
    how can you not think of the existence of humanity?!...but i would perfer not to let my mind ponder about it to much and just enjoy life....sure if there is nothing after this we might as well make the best of it!
  • Options
    You need to unplug mate, we don't really live in The Matrix.:thumb:
  • Options
    I do, I do wonder, then I get a headache and go and lie down.