Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

CV cover letters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys! hoping that writing this out will help me sort it out anyway, but any input and tips would be appreciated. I've got thesite's info sheet on Covering letters open and a few other university ones, but still hoping for some input.

I'm planning on applying to the BBC for some sort of job working with the olympics out in beijing in 2008. my CV and cover letter will be sent to a contact of a cousin. my sister helped me write a good cv, so now i just gotta do the cover letter for it! however, im slightly stuck on what exactly to write, so i thought if i tried to get it out to you guys it might give me a kick start :)

So i will have the degree in Chinese and spanish, and was thinking of making good of some of the modules in that, ie advanced communication etc and some interpreting experience (i think i'll have that). The other major factor is that I spent a year living in beijing, know the city quite well and how to get round it, ways of culture etc.

also guessing that i'll need to say why i'd like to work for the bbc etc.
about to have a shower and then sit down and brainstorm this, so if anybody has any good ideas i'm willing to listen!!

also, i'm sending the cover letter by email so won't be able to sign it, any ideas on what to do there?

Thanks muchly :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    write your name maybe?
    I posted something on covering letters yesterday erm not sure what the title was though lol but i got some quite good tips :D also as for signing it looks like your just going to have to type your name
    thanks, i think i've just seen what you are referring to so will pop over and have a nosey :)
    One tip I'd give is to talk about why this particular role appeals to you. There's nothing more annoying when you're sifting through applications than a generic letter that someone has printed off and sent out to loads of different jobs. Make it personal to this particular role - it takes longer but it will get you more noticed and it will also make you think more about why you want the job, making it easier to prepare at interview stage.

Good luck!
    For some reason whenever i read anything due to my form tutor hammering it into my head when i did my uni application she seemed to hate the repetition of words.

I noticed you mentioned new challenges and then new experiences. Is there an alternative word you can use or am i just talking bullshit and it isn't too much of an issue?
    i cant give much advice for writing a covering letter, but with regard to the signature bit i once photocopied my signature and pasted it into a document, or you could do it in Paint and then paste it in? good luck hun! sounds like a great opportunity!xxxxx
    Hi, Of course you need to motivate why you want to apply for a job at BBC. Ok, a cover letter should contain these: introduction formula ("Dear Hiring Manager"), intention paragraph ("I am applying for the X position in your company..."), motivating your intention paragraph (because I have the skills you need), argumentation and persuasion paragraph (your company needs me because of this and that) and closing formula ("Sincerely, XY). Here are some cover letter samples as well. Hope those helped.
    Have fun at the Olympics ;)