Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

workers rights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I work as a barmaid, it all goes through the books but i'm not under any contract. I was just wondering if i had any rights as when i've tryed looking on the net all i can find is the rights for workers who are under a contract.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How long have you been working there?

If you've been there over a certain amount of time (12 weeks I think) then you should have a contract.

If you don't then I believe you can take the status quo to be your agreement with your employer.

Why are you asking?
    i've been there since september, and do 14 hours a week.
    I wanted to know about breaks i was entitled to as on a sunday we are expected to work 6 hours without a break and i've bene told that there is a law that entitles you to a break after 4 hours
    You should have a written statement of your responsibilities if you've been there for longer than (i think) a month. If you've not had one, then you should ask for one, verbally and then in writing.

If you're on your feet for more than 4 hours, i'm fairly sure you're entitled to a 15 minute break, but it's worth looking at the DWP's website.
    Breaks will also depend on how old you are, the entitlement vaires
    with age. I think www.direct.gov.uk may have some answers.
    You are allowed a 15 min break for every 4 hours but it has to to be over and 8 hour period. I worked 6 hours a day at my last job and had to sty later if I wanted a break.