Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Off the drink!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right I'm going off the drink for a while now.

Realising that I'm drinking too much, spending too much money and it's getting in the way of my study life and other aspects too. Mate also OD on coke at the weekend there, heart stopped 3 times...he's lucky to be alive. Just coming to the realisation that all this fucking about is a bit pointless and I'm going to try and sort my head out.

I know a lot of people are thinking, oh it's only drink you're a pussy or whatever but if you were in my shoes you'd know all about it. Thought I'd just share that with you guys.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    good luck with that, im attempting to head in the same direction (few reasons/realisations) but trying to cut down rather than completely stop cuz ive several other things mixed in along with the drink so im being realistic to myself..

good luck all the same and the worst influence is the sun .. as soon as that fucker starts shining you start thirsting for a freezing cold beer and a big fat spliff!

:thumb:
    Good for ya :) I went off the drink last year after I'd been relying on it to keep me happy and was drinking heavily a lot of nights. I cut it out for a while and then started drinking again sensibly and occasionally and learnt to enjoy it again. I thought I'd need it but I really didn't. I've hardly drank for ages because of dissertation and now exams but I had a couple the other night and I was hammered hehe ;)
    Due to drink and drugs I ended up in a really bad situation on sunday and I'm lucky to have escaped without being too hurt.:( I don't want to go into detail because I'm still pretty shaken up and don't wana think about it.. but yeah I'm off it all for a while too..
    z- wrote: »
    good luck all the same and the worst influence is the sun .. as soon as that fucker starts shining you start thirsting for a freezing cold beer and a big fat spliff!

:thumb:

I know it's a cunt.

I've spent over £600 since april 23rd on drink ffs lol! It's not good and it is having a toll on me, physically and mentally. I could say that I'm gonna cut down on the amount I drink but it's not realistic, I'm the type of person that once I have a few in me then I need a lot. Ah it's a cunt, won't be drinking till some time mid-summerish. That's my aim.
    Good luck mate. Hope it goes well.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Right I'm going off the drink for a while now.

Realising that I'm drinking too much, spending too much money and it's getting in the way of my study life and other aspects too. Mate also OD on coke at the weekend there, heart stopped 3 times...he's lucky to be alive. Just coming to the realisation that all this fucking about is a bit pointless and I'm going to try and sort my head out.

I know a lot of people are thinking, oh it's only drink you're a pussy or whatever but if you were in my shoes you'd know all about it. Thought I'd just share that with you guys.

fair play .. i did consider a month ban off the drink because i drink far too much but i dont think i could do it to be honest weekends wouldnt be the same bit bad really

good luck with it though

Mate also OD on coke at the weekend there, heart stopped 3 times...he's lucky to be alive.

Fucking hell, how much had he done, if you don't mind me asking.
    Good luck to ya yerascrote. I discovered that I much prefer the taste of chocolate milkshake to alcohol and so rarely drink when I stay in the house these days. I think it helps if you really like the taste of something cos then you'd rather have that than alcohol anyway.
    I know it's a cunt.

I've spent over £600 since april 23rd on drink ffs lol! It's not good and it is having a toll on me, physically and mentally. I could say that I'm gonna cut down on the amount I drink but it's not realistic, I'm the type of person that once I have a few in me then I need a lot. Ah it's a cunt, won't be drinking till some time mid-summerish. That's my aim.

im sticking with tryin to only drink 2 nights a week.. one weeknight and one weekend night, to split the week up a bit .. seems ok so far, it doesn't help when you have all your mates ringing you tryin to get you out for a carryout either!
    Good luck mate, its probably for the best.

After being attacked for no good reason on Saturday night I'm not going to rough pubs again for a while (not that it was even that rough).
    im sticking with tryin to only drink 2 nights a week.. one weeknight and one weekend night, to split the week up a bit .. seems ok so far, it doesn't help when you have all your mates ringing you tryin to get you out for a carryout either!
    Don't you stay in for a carryout??? You could still do it but limit the amount that you actually buy. Instead of drinking eight cans, you could try drinking four or sommat. Alternatively, take a bottle of voddie (that you've actually filled with water) and just pretend to drink. Ridiculous suggestion methinks but you never know.
    Loopi wrote: »
    Don't you stay in for a carryout??? You could still do it but limit the amount that you actually buy. Instead of drinking eight cans, you could try drinking four or sommat. Alternatively, take a bottle of voddie (that you've actually filled with water) and just pretend to drink. Ridiculous suggestion methinks but you never know.

rather stand outside somewhere if its nice and sunny ;)

and i find it impossible to not drink to get drunk, the only reason i drink is to get hammered, and after a few drinks you end up goin out of your way to try and get more .. if i done that id end up going home and gettin wired into my ma's wine! (its happened one time too many :o )
    Good luck - i've been saying for years that i'm going to not drink - without much success - but have cut down to a glass or so of wine every other night kind of thing.

However I did realise a few years ago that I do love drinking alchol but that I have to cut down so that I can continue to do it in the long run - if that makes sense - I didn't want to become so much of an alcholic that i couldn't ever drink again.

The mad thing is that its not event that i drink that much (normally a couple of glasses of wine with tea) its just that its every night - I've lots more friends who wont' drink at all during the week but then drink stupid ammounts in one night - every weekend.

Anyway i have nothing constructive to offer other than my solidarity!
    budda wrote: »
    Good luck mate, its probably for the best.

After being attacked for no good reason on Saturday night I'm not going to rough pubs again for a while (not that it was even that rough).

where did you go? - just so I know to avoid it like!
    I could say that I'm gonna cut down on the amount I drink but it's not realistic, I'm the type of person that once I have a few in me then I need a lot.

Or, you could go out with a certain amount of cash, leave your card in the house, and you have to stick to your limit.
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Or, you could go out with a certain amount of cash, leave your card in the house, and you have to stick to your limit.

then you end up goin around lifting half empty pints :no:

I think that would all be very well in theory but then after a couple of drinks you'll only want more and just end up annoying all your friends whist you badger them to buy you drinks!
    then you end up goin around lifting half empty pints :no:

Only if you're a complete scumbag hobo at the best of times :razz:
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I think that would all be very well in theory but then after a couple of drinks you'll only want more and just end up annoying all your friends whist you badger them to buy you drinks!

Works for me whenever I do it. Then again, I'm the kind of person who hates mooching from people, nevermind asking.
    Only if you're a complete scumbag hobo at the best of times :razz:

sounds about right ;)
    good luck mate, i've been trying to cut down a bit as i don't drink that regularly but tend to get a bit carried away on the weekends, plus it's £3 a pint near enough these days so it must be costing me a packet...
    Respect to you for making the decision to sort your head out and get back on track. It's not an easy thing to decide even when it is taking its toll on your health, good luck with it mate :thumb:
    Good luck lad.
    good louck boy!
    Not the same but I'm wising up big style.

Had a bad fucking buzz on acid at weekend. Thought I was going die and was convinced there was a conspiracy against me with every one I know.

End up out on street acting like a fucking lunatic. Got arrested and ended up in intensive care in hospital and toxicology.

Could end up in some bother but the police were actually sound when they took me down to the station yesterday after getting out of hospital.

Definitely not more acid, no more hallucinogenics, no more ketamine.
    Sounds a bad one addict..cant put myself in ur shoes but i know how it feels when its just a bad bad buzz on psycheledics.. oxygen magic mushrooms..never forget it to this day..total freak out..ah.

All a part of the life learning experience.
    Yerascrote - I'm really glad to hear that and I really hope it goes well. Feel free to keep us updated if you want to, it would be good to hear how you are getting on with it. Good luck:yes:
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Good luck man! Stronger man than me.

It'll all willpower. When you want a drink or something, just do something else to distract you, whatever it is.
    I thought I was the only one toning it down after next weekend for Death Disco.

But Jesus, all the regular nutters are toning it down.

Fair play, chaps.
    1983 wrote: »
    But Jesus, all the regular nutters are toning it down.

Fair play, chaps.

haha noticed that myself, madness

wonder who can heck it and who cant :D
    haha noticed that myself, madness

wonder who can heck it and who cant :D

I'm still really upset about what happened and keep getting flashbacks :crying: So at the moment I don't feel like I ever want to go out again but I really don't want to become withdrawn. I have a 2manydjs thing in a couple of weeks and i'd like to be feeling up for going to that...but I'm not gona get wasted, just take it easy.