Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

abortion pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend has just found out she's pregnant. Estimates to be about 5 weeks gone. Has anyone here taken the abortion pill (up to 9 weeks) aka emergency medical abortion?

Comments

• Options
    Is this the same friend as yesterday? I personally haven't taken it but know people who have. If the pregnancy is unwanted, which I'm guessing it is, her best bet is to get to her GP sharpish to see what her options are. It'll be less stressful for all concerned if she sorts things out sooner rather than later. Hope she's ok xXx
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    As Dobbin said she needs to go to GP so they can book her an appointment if an abortion is 100% what she wants.
    I had the pill, it wasnt nice, but it wasnt horrendous. you have it in two stages.
    Firstly you go for one pill, then a few days later you go into the hospital for about 5-6 hours and are given another pill (however, many people - inc me, had to take two, as one didnt work.) I felt like I had awful period pains, and then when I actually passed it, it was the most bizarre feeling, it was also quite distressing.
    Afterwards I felt okish, but it was like I was having a really heavy period.
    I think she would appreciate it if you went with her for her first appointment, or at least be there for her when she returns from the hospital - in fact you should meet her there if you can as they recommend someone coming to pick you up.
  • Options
    it is the same friend yes. We live in NI so i'll be accompanying her over to England, not sure which clinic to go for. Our mutual friend is a medical receptionist so she had a long chat with her today about her options. She's going to see a GP at our friend's surgery (not her own - paranoia about parents finding out)

She doesn't know whether to go through with the pill or have a 12-week abortion. Geesh what a horrible experience. I've told her whatever she decides I'll look after her however I'm thinking the 12 week would be mroe suitable as popping overseas twice a week isn't really faesible.

Thanks everyone :heart:
  • Options
    Do they not offer abortions over there then? Sorry to be ignorant but that sounds crazy.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    my cousin unfortunately had to have both as the medical (9 week) didnt work for her. She said out of the two, she said the surgical was a much more scarier experience.
    I would strongly recommend the medical from her opinion.
    I dont know for sure, but I have a feeling it is quite easy to get to Liverpool from NI, so if so, see if you could give Liverpool Women's hospital a call. That is where I went. If they cant see your friend, at least they may be able to give more information than you would get from us.
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Do they not offer abortions over there then? Sorry to be ignorant but that sounds crazy.

have you not seen the story in the news lately?
    Do you have the option of being fully anethetised if you have the surgical?
  • Options
    I have unfortunately had reason to have both the medical and surgical abortions and while neither are a walk in the park, if I had to state a "preference" it would be for surgical. I hated being sent home in the interim period of the two pills, and I nearly went nuts over the thought of passing the foetus. Jesus it's grim, not that that's what you want to hear! Plus, I was still at school so it was awkward as hell. Oh dear. But yeah, basically the doctor(s) will recommend what they think is best for her, it's good that you're being so supportive and that she's getting advice from other friends. It's an awful time, but the sooner it's sorted the better.

I really feel for her and I'm glad you've got her back. A few years ago my cousin got pregnant and had to come over here from Belfast to have an abortion. This is a true example of the law being an ass. Oh, and if you were to look into coming to Newcastle or anywhere 'round here, then drop me a PM and I'm sure I'd be able to help you (plural) out :)

Oh, and you may have done some web-sleuthing but this link is top-notch.
  • Options
    This worksheet has a good list of the pros and cons of each method, and has women's own experiences.

There's also the very extensive memories section of the abortioninfo livejournal community.