Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Maternity and paternity leave/pay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hiya
Just a quick one to let you know that the Maternity Leave laws have recently changed so this (and the Paternity Leave factsheet) have been updated to include the new changes.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    How exciting - but can anyone tell me who exactly a 'Share Fisherwoman' is?
    It's anyone who works on a fishing boat who is paid in a share of the catch. Nearly all employment law doesn't apply to them (man or woman) as they get product rather than money for their work.

I have no idea how I know that :)
    Ahhh - I've been reading a history of women in the 17th Centuary and there were special laws which related to the fishwifes (or women who sold fish). So I wondered if it was a throw back to that.

Thats bloody crap though re the fisherwomen - I mean its not like they can eat all that fish they still have to sell it- i guess that makes them self employed though and they shoudl be able to apply for that othe type of maternity pay thingy no?
    Yeah, just a wierd exception - for some reason share fisherwomen and men seem to fall through the gaps in a lot of laws. I guess it might be because of the difficulty in taxing / verifying work? Does seem crap though.
    There are different rules for National Insurance for sharefishermen too fact
    fans!!

The changes to maternity leave are really confusing - I don't know why the first 6 months are called ordinary maternity leave (OML) and the remaining 6 months are called additional maternity leave (AML) when you are allowed to claim SMP/MA for 9 months! Surely the OML period and the SMP payment period should match up (in my mind anyhow!!)

I'm just glad this time I qualify for company maternity pay :)