Home Drink & Drugs
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Getting drunk

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
Dont really know if this should go on this board so feel free to move it :)

But i was talking to a good friend last night whose had her drink spiked and its sorta made me a bit more weary of going out and getting drunk now because you never know whats going to happen to you and id rather stay sober now and be safe

with all the stories you hear about people having their drinks spiked and being date raped does it make you more weary about getting drunk?

Also it may be a bit of a touchy question but has any of you ever had you drink spiked? if so do you still go out and get drunk or has it put you off?

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Surely this is a Drugs section question?

    Anyway - as to drinks being spiked, yes it does happen, but in large part it doesnt happen anywhere near as often as the news would suggest. Alcohol is and always has been the most widely used 'date-rape drug'.

    If he/she thinks they have been spiked then it might be worth keeping a piss sample and wandering down to the Police station with it.

    More generally - look after yourself, know how much you are drinking and look after your mates.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    Surely this is a Drugs section question?

    Anyway - as to drinks being spiked, yes it does happen, but in large part it doesnt happen anywhere near as often as the news would suggest.

    You say that but I can thinik of 5 friends who that has happened to.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    lipsy wrote: »
    You say that but I can thinik of 5 friends who that has happened to.

    Thats grim, what happened?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    budda wrote: »
    Thats grim, what happened?

    Well thankfully nothing. I can't remember exactly because this happeend over a period of about 5 or 6 years. I think one of them was found in the toilets passed out, one of them was being sick but they were all taken home by friends when they realised something was wrong. None of them were heavy drinkers you see and it happend after a couple of drinks so its not like they were just wasted on alcohol. It all happened in local pubs too.. but rough ones I might add that I don't go to :p
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Over the years ive only known it happen to one of my mates. Luckily i was there.
    I do agree with Budda as to the fact it doesnt happen half as much as the media portrays it to, but it doesnt make it any less of a tragedy. Its a scary thing to watch, so i cant even imagine what its like to have it happen to you.

    I've seen those "Spikey" things around a number of bars...the small plastic deelys that go in the bottle neck, to stop anyone dropping anything in. I think thats a good idea. But besides that, watchin what you drink, where you leave it or whos buyin it is the best defence.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had a night out once with a mate, where I don't remember anything apart from the first hour or so...
    I have a small memory of waking up in the toilets at one point, then I disappeared, my mate couldn't find me.
    I have no idea how I got home, I just woke up the next morning feeling really ill... and not hung over ill...

    Dunno if my drink was spiked or not, but I never lose memory of big things like how I got home when I'm drinking...
    It just seemed weird.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    one of my friends was spiked a few weeks ago, except someone had spiked the martini BOTTLE so everyone who'd drank it was fucked. luckily some of her friends were fine and just took the couple of them home.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've seen those "Spikey" things around a number of bars...the small plastic deelys that go in the bottle neck, to stop anyone dropping anything in. I think thats a good idea. But besides that, watchin what you drink, where you leave it or whos buyin it is the best defence.

    How do those things work? What stops someone who wants to spike a drink from just lifting the little lid thing??
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had my drink spiked years ago. The people that I was with said that it was just the strangest thing; I went from being happily drunk to completely and utterly hammered in a matter of seconds. I completely passed out later but luckily I was with someone who managed to get me home and in my house. Apparently I wasn't even able to speak and had no idea who I was or where I lived.

    I was really lucky. It could have been so much worse. It turned out that it was someone who actually worked in the club that did it and that they did it to loads of other people that same weekend too. I really have no idea what they would have got out of it to be honest.

    It's scary though. It does make you think carefully about taking drinks from other people but it's hard to keep an eye on bar staff the whole time. If I'm having a drinking sesh, I try to stick to bottled drinks and not put them down anywhere.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    luvmeright wrote: »
    But i was talking to a good friend last night whose had her drink spiked and its sorta made me a bit more weary of going out and getting drunk now because you never know whats going to happen to you and id rather stay sober now and be safe

    If you had a friend who was in a hit and run accident, would you then stop crossing the road? If you knew someone with food poisoning, would you stop eating? The key to everything is, be careful. Don't leave drinks unattended to go to the dancefloor, don't leave drinks on those crazy shelf things with your back to them, etc.

    I find it's always hard to know who actually has had their drink spiked and who are just really fucked. It's a bit strange the amount of would-be rapists who go on drink spiking sprees then get bored and go home without actually following through on it...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know anyone either who has had their drink spiked. I'm aware it happens but haven't known anyone its happened to. Hopefully its is something which has been blown out of proportion by the media and isn't as widespread as the press would have us believe. :thumb:

    JamesZero wrote: »
    Dunno if my drink was spiked or not, but I never lose memory of big things like how I got home when I'm drinking...
    It just seemed weird.

    I always loose my memory, and the older I'm getting the worse my memory is getting. Don't think its my drink being spiked as it seems to happen every time I get shitfaced. :D

    At uni I would go on a night out with my housemate. Next day neither of us would have any idea how we got home or why we would be covered in cuts and bruises. Doesn't really worry me though, because no matter how drunk I get, I always manage to get home (eventually).

    :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kiezo wrote: »
    I find it's always hard to know who actually has had their drink spiked and who are just really fucked. It's a bit strange the amount of would-be rapists who go on drink spiking sprees then get bored and go home without actually following through on it...
    It's unfortunate that there are so many people that claim to have had their drink spiked when they've just drank too much. It's up there with people who claim rape when they wake up the next morning and regret what they've done. It does not, however, mean that everyone who thinks that they've had their drink spiked and weren't raped is lying about it. As I stated before, there was a weirdo barman randomly spiking people's drinks in my hometown. I'm pretty sure that he wasn't just trying to get laid. In the same way as 14 years olds get kicks out of sneaking a voddy in their friend's pint, I think that some of these people just like to see people's reactions.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree with Budda. Also it might help if you drink from bottles and put your thumb over the top when standing still talking. If I ever need a piss in a club I just stick the bottle in my pocket or if I left it on the side and there wasn't a lot in it then I'll just get another one, God knows what people will do to it to get their kicks. Might spit in it or wipe their knob on it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i know a few people who have had their drinks spiked

    im really dappy and stupid at times and my dad and his missus were horrified when i told them i accept drinks from complete strangers .. its dangerous really especially when im completely hammered and i probably wouldnt even notice if they slipped anything in the drink so i should probably be more careful

    saying that me and my mates do look out for eachother and if we think a bloke is a bit dodgy we will let each other know
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm quite cynical about all these date rape stories. Everyone has themselves or known someone who has been spiked yet the chances of being spiked are very rare. Meh, maybe I'm just being a twat and every single girl or their friends have been spiked at least once in their lives!

    I've tried GHB knowingly before, quite a nice wee buzz but you have to find the right dosage and not mix it with alcohol or things will become messy.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've had a couple of friends who have had their drink spiked before in clubs/afterclubs, luckily they were with people at the time so go dragged home, fairly sure it was GHB for one mate as she hadn't drank much and she reaction was exactly like all my mates who've overdone it when they've been doing GHB volunterally and get the dosage wrong. Been a lot more careful with their drinks since then.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kiezo wrote: »
    I find it's always hard to know who actually has had their drink spiked and who are just really fucked. It's a bit strange the amount of would-be rapists who go on drink spiking sprees then get bored and go home without actually following through on it...

    The vast majority of people who use date-rape drugs do so to steal from someone rather than rape them. But yeah, I agree. I reckon there are a lot of people who claim that their drink was spiked when in reality, they just drank too much. It's right up there with being sick and blaming it on something you ate rather than the ten shots you downed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Loopi wrote: »
    It does not, however, mean that everyone who thinks that they've had their drink spiked and weren't raped is lying about it.

    By no means was I suggesting it does, it just seems like an all too convenient excuse for people to use when they end up hammered and don't want to face the embarassment of how fucked they got.

    Which is unfortunate, because it seems alot of peoples' opinions of drink spiking are shifting to a boy who cried wolf kinda deal.
    The vast majority of people who use date-rape drugs do so to steal from someone rather than rape them.

    I've heard that one too;

    "Fuck! I think someone spiked my drink and stole my phone last night, I can't find it anywhere!"
    "Uh, dude, you gave me your phone to keep as you were too fucked and kept dropping it..."
    "...Oh."
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I know of several situations where mine or my friends drinks have been spiked in our town. All in the same club actually, so you'd think that would put us off but no. The first time, I had to go and pick my two mates up from hospital because the police had found them passed out in the road. The second time was to me, I bought a drink (my first of the night), and stupidly left it for a second.... then before I'd even finished it I was rather ill, so that's all we can work it out to be. Then last weekend, my boyfriend blatantly saw someone slip something in my mates drink. Him being totally slaughtered and not being able to see her, he downed it instead to protect her. :rolleyes:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Then last weekend, my boyfriend blatantly saw someone slip something in my mates drink. Him being totally slaughtered and not being able to see her, he downed it instead to protect her. :rolleyes:

    I woulda probably jumped off a table and drop kicked the guy, but that's just me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    im gona remember that one in future!

    trust me, your pint has been spiked i ll drink it for you for protection :D
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kiezo wrote: »
    I woulda probably jumped off a table and drop kicked the guy, but that's just me.

    :thumb:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kiezo wrote: »
    By no means was I suggesting it does, it just seems like an all too convenient excuse for people to use when they end up hammered and don't want to face the embarassment of how fucked they got.

    Which is unfortunate, because it seems alot of peoples' opinions of drink spiking are shifting to a boy who cried wolf kinda deal.
    Sorry, I was just being a bit defensive. I hate the fact that there are so many people who claim to have had it happened to them when you know full well that they're just bullshitting liars. It's because of these sort of twats that there are so many people getting away with it. I just find it necessary to remind people that not everybody is lying about it; I'm not for one!


    I've heard that one too;

    "Fuck! I think someone spiked my drink and stole my phone last night, I can't find it anywhere!"
    "Uh, dude, you gave me your phone to keep as you were too fucked and kept dropping it..."
    "...Oh."

    :lol:
Sign In or Register to comment.