Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Glucosamine with Chondroitin, know anything/your experience?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
22yo Male, 140pds 6ft

I have been having joint pain for some time now, my PCP directed me to a physical therapist who gave me a series of exercises but this provided no relief. I've casually mentioned my problem and with a few people and three times have been asked to try Glucosamine with Chondroitin.

I have a few concerns before I begin trying it myself should anyone here have some experience with taking this. Anything I should know about it? Where should I get it and what should I expect to pay? Any long term issues? How much and how often should I use it?

If you could direct me to some resources or simply offer your own experience.

Your efforts are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Glucosamine is supposed to be really good for your joints. My mum's doctors even recommend it. I've never heard of the other one you mentioned though. If you're going to get it then buy it online from a supplement website because it will be really cheap and you can buy it in much higher doses.
  • Options
    A lot of people with arthritis take it, and some swear by it.

According to my rheumatologist, there's no solid evidence that it works, but it has been proved to be safe to take, even long term, so there's no harm in trying and seeing if it helps you at all.

On another note, chronic joint pain in a young person is not the kind of thing you should just ignore. Have you ever been referred to anyone other than the physio?
  • Options
    you can get it from a pharmacy, probably a health food shop too.
  • Options
    My dad takes these, 1 a day and also cod liver oil capsules. He did a lot of sport when he was younger, especially rugby and squash and as a result gets achey joints, hips, knees and elbows. He seems to find that they work and takes ibuprofen if hes having a particularly bad day. I'm not sure where you live but if its in the UK look out for the holland and barret sales, they cut the price quite a lot. Good luck