Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Genital Warts, is this possible?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well if you read my post yesterday you understand my situation. My girlfriend with to another doctor today and he told her she has a vaginal infection and genital warts. We are completely shocked by this. My girlfriend and I were both virgins when we started having sex and neighter of us have ahd sex with anyone else. So how in the world could she have genital warts? The doctor told her it was an STD and that is the only way it can be accquired.

She is going to go to another doctor since the one she went to was NOT an gynocologist (spelling?). She is going to see her real doctor later today hopefully. Is it possible she has genital warts. Also how serious is genital warts? I do no know much about it, but should I be seriously concered for her or can it be cleared up?? Should i have myself checked or is this a female only disease?

Comments

• Options
    I think you need to get checked out too as blokes can get them as well, sorry :(

IIRC you dont have to have actual sex to catch them just very close contact so being very intimate with someone might mean you catch them although ithink this is unlikely
  • Options
    Aren't genital warts related in some way to cold sores or something?
  • Options
    No, that's the herpes virus, although afaik there's two different types of virus - one causes genital herpes and the other causes cold-sores.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    wow! well done to your gf finding a gp on a bank holiday! I cant get an appointment on a normal day.
    I dont think it matters whether the dr is a gynaecologist or not, he would still be able to diagnose genital warts.
    You need to be checked yourself.
    If your girlfriend was a virgin and has only slept with you who was also a virgin then she could have only contracted them by you performing oral sex on her whilst sporting a cold sore.
    I do hope she doesnt have them as she will unfortunately carry the virus for life.
  • Options
    genital warts and genital herpes are two different things

genital warts are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV)

genital herpes are caused by herpes simplex virus (HSV) which also causes cold sores

- if the doctor said she has warts i would assume they meant HPV, might be worth getting that confirmed.
  • Options
    She went to her gyno later in the day. Her gyno said she can see why they assumed it might be Genital Herpies but she doesn't think it is. She said there is some stretched or extra skin. She did a PAP scan and we will wait for the results to come in tomorrow. My GF has been in a lot of discomfort though and tomorrow she has a very important exam. I really hope she can make it through the exam. It is one that cannot be made up under ANY circumstances because it is national.

Still though I wonder, what could this be?
  • Options
    Is it just me or is this a very confusing thread?
  • Options
    So if its genital warts then she must have caught it off someone else?
  • Options
    It sounds like you're getting lots of medical advice on this, but for the sake of the thread I thought I'd post a few resources.

As our article about Genital Warts states: "Genital warts are picked up and passed on via skin-to-skin contact, mostly during sex. Genital warts are unlikely to spread to other parts of the body."

As apposed to Genital Herpes. "There are two strands of the virus: Herpes simplex virus type 1 is usually milder and less likely to reoccur than Herpes simplex virus type II. Type 1 commonly causes cold sores around the mouth and can also affect the eyes, genitals and anal areas. Herpes simplex type II infects the skin around the genitals and anus, causing itchy blisters to develop. It may also affect the mouth and the eyes. In general, it is picked up and passed on through intimate sexual activity. Intercourse is the central risk, though there is some risk of transmission via oral sex."

It's always wise to practise safe sex with condoms, even if you are both virgins, as some genital infections like thrush can still be passed between you.

I hope your girlfriend gets some answers soon. Good luck.