Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Car headlights

2»

Comments

• SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    You can buy higher watt bulbs at any Motor World style place.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had this problem on my Fiesta, turned out I was actually turning the light stalk all the way around and only had my sidelights on......
    Either that or your bulbs are burnt out.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Whowhere wrote: »
    I had this problem on my Fiesta, turned out I was actually turning the light stalk all the way around and only had my sidelights on......

:lol: that really made me laugh, sorry!
  • Porky_StalkerPorky_Stalker Posts: 108 The Mix Convert
    kangoo wrote: »
    1995 fiesta.

If it was made in 1995 then the bulbs you need should be H4
    These bulbs provide both the dipped beam and the main beam.

You can pick these bulbs up from most auto shops, Halfords, Motor World.. etc.. or online: http://www.powerbulbs.co.uk - (cheap and quck delivery)

I think they are fairly easy to fit to that type of Fiesta but if you dont think you can manage, some shops will fit them for a couple of £.
    This whole thread underlines why the driving test is shite.

This is basic road safety FFS.
    erm are you sure you have the lights fully turned on, you should turn it once to get the dim side lights and again for full lights and then push it forward for full beam.
    I have a 1997 Fiesta and the thing that can adjust the angle of your lights, well the height of where they point to on the road, is next to the steering wheel at the left hand side, it has numbers on, and if you turn it up or down depending, it changes the position of your lights on the road. Maybe trying that might help, again, this should be in your user manual, if your make of car has this.
    This whole thread underlines why the driving test is shite.

This is basic road safety FFS.

Why?

She knows they aren't working properly, and she's not going to drive when they are needed until that is sorted. Do you really have to know which bulb provides which bit of light to drive safely?
    I had a 96 fiesta (until the other day :( ) and had exactly the same problem.

The side lights are indeed different bulbs than the headlights, and had both blown. In those kind of fiestas, when you have your dipped beams or full beams on, the side lights stay on too, so when the headlight bulbs go, you think they are dim, but it's because you effectively only have side lights on. Also, apparently the bulbs often go within a very short time of each other - the guy explained why, but I didn't really know what what going on cause I know shit all about cars.

2 new bulbs plus fitting was about £25. And they checked the state of all the others while they were at it. Happy times :)
    Why?

She knows they aren't working properly, and she's not going to drive when they are needed until that is sorted. Do you really have to know which bulb provides which bit of light to drive safely?

I'm not having a go at the OP.

It's more at a system which allows people on the road without them being able to answer a simple question like "My headlights are really dim. Does this mean the bulbs need changing or something else?"

We're not talking A Level mechanics here, are we. Shouldn't everyone know the answer to something like that? Basic maintenence etc should be part of the test IMHO
    Being as there could actually be many causes, no I don't think everyone should know. But that's just my opinion, as long as you know that something is wrong and either a) what to do or b) know to seek advice then that's fine as far as I'm concerned.

On further thought, I'd rather have it that way than have that level of maintenance covered in the driving test because that would encourage even more plonkers to believe that they are capable of doing maintenance when really thay are not.
    99/100 it's going to be a blown bulb.

Everyone should be able to change that, just as everyone should know how to change a wheel, refill their washer bottle, know how to check tyre pressure, brake fluid and water levels.

None of those are major and TBH should be checked regularly (although I'll bet no-one does - inc. me, unless it's a long journey). Each is important to safety and I really don't think that the lessons/test take that into consideration...

It's an opinion...
    All of that except changing bulbs and changing wheels is already on the test......

Nothings perfect, but you either need to know how to do it properly (and what bulb you need) or leave it to someone else, it's not the kind of thing you want to piss about with.
    Damn, on the test now, I stand corrected (but then I did mine about 20 years ago ;) )...

NB The bulb you need is the one like that which you just removed ;)
    But you are a genius..... You have to remember there are mere mortals out there too, who will just buy a bulb.

Well, when I say it's on the test, you have to be able to point and explain, you don't actually do anything other than open the bonnet because the engine might be hot and you might get hurt. :rolleyes:
    Well, when I say it's on the test, you have to be able to point and explain, you don't actually do anything other than open the bonnet because the engine might be hot and you might get hurt. :rolleyes:

And you get to demonstrate use of the horn, plus how you would tell if your brake lights were working (answer: park in front of a shiny building or ask a passer by! Love it :D).

I check my tyre pressure etc. But not as regularly as i think i should, so perhaps you're right MOK.
    To be fair MOK, changing the bulbs on a MK2 fiesta is a real pain in the arse ;)
    Why do I need to know how to change a bulb? I know they're not working but I thought it was weird that they'd both blown at the same time so I was asking if it could be anyone else. As it happens I have 3 people willing to change the bulb for me, and Halfords will do it for you for a small charge. I hardly think its the end of the world not knowing how to change a bulb

Although I do think the driving test should cover more though ;)
    Why do I need to know how to change a bulb? I know they're not working but I thought it was weird that they'd both blown at the same time so I was asking if it could be anyone else. As it happens I have 3 people willing to change the bulb for me, and Halfords will do it for you for a small charge. I hardly think its the end of the world not knowing how to change a bulb

Although I do think the driving test should cover more though ;)

If you're out driving at night and your bulb goes and you get pulled over, replying "I don't know how to change it" will probably get you a ticket. Law says you have to keep your vehicle in working order. Of course the cop that stops you has to be a real dick for that ;)
    My headlights are really dim. Does this mean the bulbs need changing or something else? Any idea how much it is likely to cost?

I bought a pair off eBay a while back for about £1.49p

Ultra white ones too and about 30% brighter then standard bulbs
    Since we're talking about headlights, few things annoy me more than those dickheads who drive around all the while without their beams dipped.

Not talking about on full beam here, but with the general beam set as high as it allows which points directly in the drivers eyes of on coming vehicles.

They are either oblivious to the fact of the effect it is having, in which case get off the f*kin road until you become aware of the affect of your actions. Or are too selfish to reduce the lit vision from 3 streets away to a much reduced but adaquate level. What possible excuse for this could you have in a built up well lit area?

Admittedly it's more noticeable on a really dark road, but you can at least appreciate why they have it set like so, even if it's not strictly necessary!

I'm fairly sure it's an offence to be have your headlights in a position where it risks dazzling on coming drivers... There should be a crack down! :thumb:
  • Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
    Someone's already said this I think. It's highly likely that one of the filaments in your H4 bulbs has blown. This would mean that the highbeam portion of the bulb is still ok and working but when you switch on your dipped headlights only the sidelight bulbs come on. Change the H4 bulbs and your problem should be sorted. (They're really cheap from Morrison's petrol stations if you have one close by).
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Since we're talking about headlights, few things annoy me more than those dickheads who drive around all the while without their beams dipped.

Not talking about on full beam here, but with the general beam set as high as it allows which points directly in the drivers eyes of on coming vehicles.

This really annoys me too. If you're carrying a heavy load at the back of the car, then the headlights will be pointing higher. Use the adjusting knob, that's what it's there for!!!
    Thanks everyone :) The manual tells me which bulbs to get and I have someone to change them so I'll do that :)
    A lot of people do not even know their headlights go up and down depending on how much weight is at the back and even less how to compensate for it.
    Well i hope i'm not alone in thinking that they should get the fuck off the roads then, if they are that oblivious to the ways their cars work, and the result their actions have then i don't want my life in a position where it can be took away by the gormless fools.

With many people it's not even the fact that they have loaded up the boot, they just set it to the highest level and drive around under the impressiong it allows them to see more. Again if they are having that much difficulty seeing where they are going, should they be on the road?!