Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Car headlights

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My headlights are really dim. Does this mean the bulbs need changing or something else? Any idea how much it is likely to cost?

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    The bulbs themselves wouldnt cost too much, so it might be worth just changing them to see if that is the problem. Are you sure they are actually dim and not just at the wrong angle? Have you had a look from the outside?
  • Options
    both bulbs probably wouldn't need changing at exactly he same time if you have only just noticed it
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    TAre you sure they are actually dim and not just at the wrong angle?

I didn't know you could change the angle :confused: They've been dim for ages but I drive in the city mostly so didn't really notice it, it wasn't until we were driving along a road in the country and my boyfriend pointed out that there was hardly any light coming off them. We looked at other cars and you could see their headlights quite far along the road, mine don't allow me to see more than about a metre in front of me
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I didn't know you could change the angle :confused:

:yes: thats why you don't drive at night with your headlights on full beam
  • Options
    I didn't know you could change the angle :confused: They've been dim for ages but I drive in the city mostly so didn't really notice it, it wasn't until we were driving along a road in the country and my boyfriend pointed out that there was hardly any light coming off them. We looked at other cars and you could see their headlights quite far along the road, mine don't allow me to see more than about a metre in front of me

what kind of car do you have?
    I have a corsa and there is a swirly knoby thing (great explanation I am sure you will agree) that allows you to fiddle with the angle of the lights.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    :yes: thats why you don't drive at night with your headlights on full beam

Sorry I'm confused now. Putting lights on full beam changes the angle? I thought it was just a brighter light? Ok I should have been more clear. My full beams work fine, my foglights work fine but my dipped headlights are so dim they don't give me enough light to drive
  • Options
    Putting lights on full beam changes the angle?

:yes:
  • Options
    what kind of car do you have?

1995 fiesta. Where is the thing to change the angle? I wouldn't think it was the angle because that would still give off light, mine are pretty much useless
  • Options
    I may be wrong, but if your full beam works fine, there should be nowt wrong with your bulbs.
  • Options
    I may be wrong, but if your full beam works fine, there should be nowt wrong with your bulbs.

Thats what I thought, but then why are they so dim? :confused:
  • Options
    'ya know it is daylight atm so you could out with out them on :p
  • Options
    Do you have a Haynes manual? Or even a manufacturers manual?

I have had a google but I cant find anything that says how to alter your lights, so may just have to have a fiddle and a nosey.
  • Options
    'ya know it is daylight atm so you could out with out them on :p

lol yes but its not so fun when i'm driving on the dual carriageway where there's no lights and I can't see fuck all. I can't pick my boyfriend up at night because its too dark and my headlights are too shit
  • Options
    I can't pick my boyfriend up at night because its too dark and my headlights are too shit

perfect excuse then ;)
  • Options
    Do you have a Haynes manual? Or even a manufacturers manual?

I have had a google but I cant find anything that says how to alter your lights, so may just have to have a fiddle and a nosey.

I have a manual so I'll have a look, but I'm bloody useless with cars and I wouldn't want to change it incase I acidentally turned on full beam permanently or something :lol:
  • Options
    I have a manual so I'll have a look, but I'm bloody useless with cars and I wouldn't want to change it incase I acidentally turned on full beam permanently or something :lol:

I will sound so sexist now....but ask your bf to do it if you are worried. But I dont think you can turn it on permanently, you will have one button for full beam, and if you turned it on, you will know how to turn it off. :p
  • Options
    is your car battery okay? is everything else working okay?
  • Options
    I will sound so sexist now....but ask your bf to do it if you are worried.

Haha yeah right am I letting him touch my car he has less of a clue than me! I guess I'll see if his dad can have a look for me, but he already thinks I'm a moron because I was driving with my fog lights on for ages because my dipped headlights were so shit I thought they were my parking lights! :blush:
  • Options
    Maybe the dipped beam bulbs are buggered. Put the sidelights on, have a look. Then put the (dipped) headlights on, and see if there's a change.

I'm sure that main beam is a different bulb/filament, and doesn't mean that the angle of the lamp changes between dipped/full beam. I thought the angle was to compensate for difference in loads (i.e. a boot full of beer etc.).
  • Options
    is your car battery okay? is everything else working okay?

Pretty much everything, apart from the passenger side electric window doesn't work because they had to rip out the electrics to disconnect the immobiliser when it went mental, and the drivers side electric window is a bit unresponsive - you have to hold it for a while before the window goes up because the electrics are a bit dodgy, oh and as of last week you can't put the full beams on unless the radio is on but once you've done that they work fine. Haven't noticed anything else
  • Options
    Pretty much everything, apart from the passenger side electric window doesn't work because they had to rip out the electrics to disconnect the immobiliser when it went mental, and the drivers side electric window is a bit unresponsive - you have to hold it for a while before the window goes up because the electrics are a bit dodgy, oh and as of last week you can't put the full beams on unless the radio is on but once you've done that they work fine. Haven't noticed anything else

Maybe it's time for a rewire?
  • Options
    Maybe it's time for a rewire?

Yeah but I'm skint and I have no idea how much that will cost! It all works at the moment, just on the cars terms not mine ;)
  • Options
    Yeah but I'm skint and I have no idea how much that will cost! It all works at the moment, just on the cars terms not mine ;)

Oh yeah, it wouldn't be cheap. It's probably (definitely) a good idea it being roadworthy, though.
  • Options
    1995 fiesta.

Probably cheaper to scrap it and get a new one that a rewire/new bulb :p
  • Options
    Oh yeah, it wouldn't be cheap. It's probably (definitely) a good idea it being roadworthy, though.

It is roadworthy! I wouldn't drive it if it wasn't :p The only thing is the dipped headlights, and I'm not driving it in the night until I get it fixed. My boyfriend said dipped headlights are a different bulb but bunnie and otter think differently so I'm confused :confused:
  • Options
    My boyfriend said dipped headlights are a different bulb but bunnie and otter think differently so I'm confused :confused:

I have a feeling bunnie and otter are wrong, and your boyfriend is right.
  • Options
    Probably cheaper to scrap it and get a new one that a rewire/new bulb :p

URGHHHHHH. If I had money do you think I'd be driving a 95 fiesta with half its electrics ripped out! :p Its MOT is up in sepetmber in which it will undoubtedly fail, probably due to it being 50% rust so I'm thinking that will be time for a new car as I'm not likely to be able to afford it until then anyway. Until that happens I want to keep it running using as little money as possible. I just don't want to take it into a garage and have them tell me all it needed was new bulbs and charge me the earth for the privalage of something I could have done myself :)
  • Options
    I have a feeling bunnie and otter are wrong, and your boyfriend is right.

Indeed. The main beam headlights are usually a different bulb, differently positioned.

Your normal headlights could just be shit. Mine aren't that much cop to be honest. But if I were driving through the countryside at night where there are no street lights I'd be using full beam anyway unless someone was coming the other way.
  • Options
    Do foglights use the same bulbs as the full beams then? Yeah in the country I use my full beams but often there's people coming the other way and I have to turn them off, especially on the dual carriageway from Cardiff to Merthyr there's no lights for about a third of the way but its busy so there's always people coming the other way you can't have full beams at all
  • Options
    No the fog lights are a completely different set of lights a lot further down.