Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Extended UTI?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello everyone! Long time no see! I would just like to say that everything between my girlfriend and I hase been going wonderfully. If you remember I used to be the paranoid person afraid his GF was pregnant. Now that I have moved past that I have another question for you all!

About a week and a half ago my girlfriend was in a lot of pain because she got a UTI. When she gets them it always seems to be very painful. She already had anti-biotics from her doctor in case she got another one. She took her medicine (it is a two times a day for 3 days pill) and felt mostly better. But still ever since she had it every day usually at some time she says it hurts again. Not nearly as bad as it normally does but she feels pain. She is always paranoid about getting a UTI, do you think this pain could be in her head, or do you think we should take her to a doctor and get her looked over? The timing on this UTI was horrible because she got her period a day later and has had to wear a pad. Since you can get a UTI from wearing a pad alone (or so I hear) i'm sure this didn't help her situation.

Also, is there any special thing we can do to help avoid her getting a UTI. Sexually is there anything specific that can be done that will reduce the chance of her getting a UTI?

Comments

• Options
    as far as i'm aware you can't get a UTI from a pad...

Drinking cranberry juice is said to help some...this is simple and not really something you want to talk to your girlfriend about, but keeping clean and wiping the right way is very important, and not using scented feminine products and maybe shower gel will really help... and drinking more water can help, but if it makes her pee more and thats painful, then maybe not.

hope thats some help...
  • Options
    she should have a wee after sex - this should flush out any bacteria that have gotten into the bladder.

She will need to go back to the doctors if she has proper symptoms as it may not have been the right antibiotic or she might just need another course of them to clear it up properly - but it could be in her mind, especially if it was a horrible experience, she'll be worrying aboutit coming back.

Hope she feels better soon :)
  • Options
    If its not clearing up then definitely go back to the doctor.

Cranberry juice helps make things more comfortable, like wise pads aren't and cotton pants are but none of these will actually solve it, you need to go back to the doctor to do that.
  • Options
    If it hasn't cleared properly she should definitely go back to the doctor, as the bacteria might be resistant to they type of antibiotic she was given.

Going for a wee after sex (even if it's only a teeny dribble) makes a huge amount of difference when it comes to getting UTIs - i used to get them all the time, but after i started doing that i barely get them at all.
  • Options
    I'm quite shocked that her doctor did not schedule an appt one week after the end of the antibiotic treatment to make sure it has cleared up fully. I'd find a new doctor next time :p Some people are just more susceptable to uti's. I got them quite frequently for a while and when I asked what I could change, I was told the pee after sex, make sure you wipe front to back (like I didn't know that :p), avoid scented feminine products and don't hold your bladder, but often times uti's just kinda happen. There are those obvious already stated things that you can do to prevent, but they can still come.

And make sure to go back to the doctors after the treatment is done! If it is not completly cleared up, even if you don't have symptoms, leaving an untreated uti can cause kidney infections, and if left long enough, permanat damage.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/urinary-tract-infection/DS00286/DSECTION=1
  • Options
    Mike_17 wrote: »
    Since you can get a UTI from wearing a pad alone (or so I hear) i'm sure this didn't help her situation.

:eek2:

Prehaps the antibiotics haven't worked and she needs different ones.
  • Options
    she went to the doctor today and she was tested and they said she didn't have a UTI. She went home tonight and was getting ready for bed and all the sudden was in horrible pain again. This time it was like when she first got her UTI, she is in tears.

Tomorrow she is going to go back and see what another doctor says (i'm wondering why the first doctor didn't try to find out why she was in pain he just told her she didn't have a UTI). Her mother thinks it may be a yeast infection. I have no knowledge on yeast infections, what are they? and are they painful?
  • Options
    Yeast infections are often known as Thrush.

If she's still in pain definitel go back, in the mean time as much as the idea is unpleasant encourage her to drink plenty of fluid.