Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

use by dates

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
how well do you people stick to these?

i know it varies from product to product but do you have general rules concerning expiry dates?

also, how much attention do you pay to things like 'use within 2 days of opening'?

i find that, being a student, i'm often using things even past expiry date because i can't afford to just throw stuff out. i don't do it with dodgy things like chicken but i seem to do it alot. also with the 2 days thing i hardly ever stick to it. i'll eat bacon and stuff that's been open over 2 days so long as it's within expiry date. is that really that bad? it always tastes fine to me and hasn't done me any harm yet!

anyway, what are other people's position on this?

Comments

• Options
    Eh .... confused. Haven't we just had a thread about this or similar to this? Something about cheese sauce?

I'll eat pretty much anything ... except for perishables ... after the use by date. I tend to go on the look and smell of stuff more than anything. If it's got mould, I don't eat it.
  • Options
    If it's a best before date I will use it a day or two after, if it's a use before date then not at all after the date it says.
  • Options
    if it looks and smells ok ill consume it
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    Eh .... confused. Haven't we just had a thread about this or similar to this? Something about cheese sauce?

ooops, sorry i didn't check. :blush:

i actually put 'sell by dates' into the search function but it didn't return anything relevant.
  • Options
    Loopi wrote: »
    Haven't we just had a thread about this or similar to this?

Well that was more about someones sauce granuals :D

Best before - well it means just that, best before. So, depending on what it was, a week or maybe even a month or so and i might still use it.

Use by - Usually chuck it if it's after it's use by date.