Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you all think of this

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Theres a few formatting issues with it as I've been editing out my references details and personal contact details, using my mobile.

So while never really having to do a cv before, due to the informal nature of most interviews I have been in, what do you guys think of this.

Oh and if someone does know of any nice vacancies in the north east ;-)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The golden rule is to try and stick to a maximum of 2 pages. Anymore and 90% of employers wouldn't bother to read it.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Try reading these CV writing tips. They are full of good ideas for writing your CV. I know how hard it is to get a CV right, I must have done 30/40 drafts of mine.

Getting your CV right

Top 10 CV Sins

:thumb:
  • Options
    For a start, get rid of the employment history when it comes to bar work/postroom/mcdonalds. You've tried to make them sound impressive when really they aren't, a prospective employer won't care that you worked in a mail room, unless you're applying to work in a mail room.

Where you worked at Vimmac Mar 05-Nov 06 get rid of the bumph about glass collecting and just rename it to Bar supervisor, only tell them how long you were supervisor for if they ask. If they ring up for a reference then as long as you actually WERE a supervisor you won't have a problem.

Cellar man sounds a bit pleb like, rename it to Stock controller or something similar that actually reflects what your responsibilities were.

In your voluntary bit, saying you're a user/contributor at Thesite.org translates to "I post messages on a website and attend meets from time to time". Get rid.
    The stuff about photography/promotional will go under skills/hobbies, doing something for your mates/buisnesses as a favour does NOT count as voluntary work, stuff like your activity work or helping out at Cadets or Scouts counts as voluntary work.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Whowhere wrote: »
    For a start, get rid of the employment history when it comes to bar work/postroom/mcdonalds. You've tried to make them sound impressive when really they aren't, a prospective employer won't care that you worked in a mail room, unless you're applying to work in a mail room.

Where you worked at Vimmac Mar 05-Nov 06 get rid of the bumph about glass collecting and just rename it to Bar supervisor, only tell them how long you were supervisor for if they ask. If they ring up for a reference then as long as you actually WERE a supervisor you won't have a problem.

Cellar man sounds a bit pleb like, rename it to Stock controller or something similar that actually reflects what your responsibilities were.

In your voluntary bit, saying you're a user/contributor at Thesite.org translates to "I post messages on a website and attend meets from time to time". Get rid.
    The stuff about photography/promotional will go under skills/hobbies, doing something for your mates/buisnesses as a favour does NOT count as voluntary work, stuff like your activity work or helping out at Cadets or Scouts counts as voluntary work.

I both agree and disagree with parts of this. I'd keep in the stuff straight from school as the employer may well wonder: "what did he do straight from A-levels" and it's good to show that you have always had work. However - just keep the earliest two jobs to one line with the job title and dates. In terms of the administrative, I think you can probably tighten the list of responsibilities - it's definitely good experience to have on there as admin is relevant to so many jobs these days but avoid listing mundane tasks.

I also think you can keep TheSite on there - but only mention the LSE event and not contributing to TheSite in general (we're aimed at 16-24s btw ;) ) - I can help you write that bit if you like-there were definitely good skills involved - speaking to a live audience, answering difficult questions from Martyn Lewis and networking - this is all relevant stuff - as to what to put it under - voluntary may well be pushing it a bit - maybe have a think.

I'm not sure about the cellar man job as it was only two months and although it is twisting your experience a bit, it might be better to just keep your Vimmac jobs next each other so there is a clear progression from general staff to supervisor - it shows your comittment to a company and promotion.

Got to go to a meeting in a sec, but can have a look again later. Maybe have another go based on feedback so far? :thumb:
  • Options
    It's too wordy, but at the same time there is too much white space. Tighten it all up and it should fit on two pages.

What kind of job to hope to get with this CV? Get a "Key Skills" section in there at the top - a list of 6-8 bullet points with the key skills (that you have got!) listed which will grab the reviewer attention and give them a good view of you before they find out your "customer service skills" were actually gained in Maccy's! (with the greatest of respect to every past and present worker for Maccy's, sometimes it doesn't go down well with certain recruiters who have a pre-conceived idea of a "typical" Maccy's employee - harsh but true).

If you are going for completely different types of jobs, rearrange the "Key Skills" to list the most appropriate ones for the job it's aimed at. For example, I don't list my admin skills first when going for a waitressing job, or list my customer service skills first when I'm going for a job where they are not going to be relevant when I'm stuck in an office, filing bits of paper, only talking to my two colleagues day in, day out.
  • Options
    I have to say I like the presentation, much better than mine!

Trim the jobs down a bit, the most important are the jobs you've recently done, things before that you still want to have because they want your employment history (some jobs I've been applying for won't take you unless you have a full employment history with evidence for the last 3 years!).

I'd make it a bit more 'in your face' so that things like - what kind of job are you looking for - what kind of skills do you have - what is your situation (full time student looking for summer job?) - are things an employer will be asking themselves. The easier it is for them to find that the better.