Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Presentation During Interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just found out that I've got an interview in a couple of weeks, but I have to do a presentation as part of it.

I've never had to do a presentation during an interview before, and I'm really nervous about it already.

I was just wondering if anyone has done one before and can give me any advice or tips?

Thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    remember to stay calm and talk slowly. make your slides as visual as possible. what do you have to do it on?
  • Options
    Have you been given a time scale for it? When they say "a ten minute presentation" they mean a TEN minute presentation - no more, barely any less. You have got to answer the question in that time slot, or they may just cut you off before you've got your point across.

We recently set a "10-15 minute presentation" task and one guy rattled on for 50 minutes!! *yawn* (yes, he should have been stopped by the interviewer, but for some stupid reason she let him carry on). It wasn't even his own work either - clearly ripped off the 'net and not even relevant to the question set!
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    what do you have to do it on?

It's a 10 minute presentation on the benefits to an employer of recruiting a graduate. I should be ok on the actual content of the presentation, it's just the 'doing' part I'm scared about! :nervous:
  • Options
    *hellie* wrote: »
    It's a 10 minute presentation on the benefits to an employer of recruiting a graduate. I should be ok on the actual content of the presentation, it's just the 'doing' part I'm scared about! :nervous:

I had to do a lot of presentations at uni (although I haven't done one for interview).

I'd recommend talking slowly, many people speak quickly when they are nervous. Look at politicians, they speak slowly and get their point across, not rush through it.

Make eye contact with the various people and try not to read off from your notes. it's best to use flash cards with prompts on rather than write out everything.

Sum up at the end.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    I would say aim to make the presentation around 9 mins - so that there is a little time for questions and also so they dont' get bored - ask them at the end if they have any questions they would like to ask you!

I would also do hand outs summarising what you have said - not just printed out powerpoint slides but an actual summary of what you are trying to say.

Definately do a powerpoint slide show as well - that way you can have pointers for what you want to say.

But don't make the mistake of putting everything on to the slides - you just need bullet points and key facts and then flesh out everything else in your speach. Steal the logo of the organisation your presenting to and put it on each slide.

Speak slowly and calmly - maintain eye contact with your audience - but don't stare at them - as that makes them feel involved and also means that your taking to the room not mumbling at the table.

Get everything ready the night before and practice your presentation to an audience - ie your family or flat mate - I would do this twice once in the middle of your thinking so they can give you any pointers and again when you've got everything ready.

Wear a suit

If you do a good presentation it will make or break your interview.

For the job i just got (though i've not yet started) I knew at the end of the presentation that I'd got the job, even before the actual interview bit had started - I was realllllly nervos beforehand and when i walked into the room I knew it was going to be OK.
  • Options
    I had to do a presentation during an interview at PWC. I didn't get the job though :grump:
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I'd recommend talking slowly, many people speak quickly when they are nervous. Look at politicians, they speak slowly and get their point across, not rush through it.

:yes: And don't ramble on for ages either - quick & straight to the point.
    I would also do hand outs summarising what you have said - not just printed out powerpoint slides but an actual summary of what you are trying to say.

You mean annontate your slides?
  • Options
    Remember that a pause is infinitely better than "errrm."

Use slides to give a visual illustration of what you're saying, not as a script for you to read.

Personally, I'd say that if you're presenting to a small group, you can afford to be a bit more friendly and informal in your approach, but others might not agree.

And most importantly, know what you're talking about. Employers can smell bullshit a mile off.
  • Options
    It's all about practice and confidence. Practice your presentation over & over and be confident in yourself. Obviously easier said than done on the confidence part, but if you practice you'll be fine.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. :)
  • Options
    Also, check out TheSite's article on Giving a good presentation

Good luck!