Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Motor insurance help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, so I bought a motorbike in 2005, want to insure it now, i've got 1 years no claims but I have to give them the old policy number.

So I phone norwich union, this friendly chap who I can't really understand comes on (T for Tango routine) and says apparently, my licence plate is a car registered to mr. something or other.

wtf.

Also said when he searched for my name, nothing came up. Not sure though. I went through a broker before, so maybe that's it. But I'm pretty sure the bike's ok as I bought it from a reputed dealer. Maybe he misheard me or something.

Do you *need* the old policy number or can you tell them to go get it?

Comments

• Options
    nah they wont make it that easy for you, more often than not they ask for policy numbers or even copies of old insurance certificates.
  • Options
    I would say that if you went through a broker then you need to go through them again to get your policy number - i went through a broker to get mine and when i transferred i just gave them the brokers' reference.

Also, relatedly, have you tried ebikeinsurance.co.uk? They're really good apparently.
  • Options
    Leigh's been with Carole Nash for 6 years now, says they're quite good.
  • Options
    I would say that if you went through a broker then you need to go through them again to get your policy number - i went through a broker to get mine and when i transferred i just gave them the brokers' reference.

Also, relatedly, have you tried ebikeinsurance.co.uk? They're really good apparently.

They're who I'm going to :D. From Norwich Union (through aquote insurance)

£27 a month (third party only) on a pretty new rider is nice. Especially since after 8 months you get +1 year on your NCD. Since I'll only be riding for 2 to 3 months on this bike it makes sense not to tie myself down so that's all good.

The hope is then I can migrate to a bigger bike (yamaha diversion is one I've looked at and like) and use it up at uni etc.
  • Options
    I used to work for a car insurance company, although we always ask for a previous policy number we only checked out 1%. The rest were just took on face value :D
  • Options
    That's where my car's insured as well :) I didn't realise they were underwritten by Norwich Union, i thought it was Southern Rock?
  • Options
    On my policy renewal invitation (basically the only paperwork I have left) it says

Insurer: Easy Rider @ Norwich Union

What's an underwriter? :p as far as I know aquote just go to lots of different insurance companies and get a discount for some reason. They're technically cheaper over 12 months, but I only need the insurance for 2 months. Don't know how refunds work.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    On my policy renewal invitation (basically the only paperwork I have left) it says

Insurer: Easy Rider @ Norwich Union

What's an underwriter? :p as far as I know aquote just go to lots of different insurance companies and get a discount for some reason. They're technically cheaper over 12 months, but I only need the insurance for 2 months. Don't know how refunds work.

An underwriter is the guy who underwrites the actual risk. They take your premium and will pay out if you claim. Other companies act as agents and collect a commission from the underwriter for selling their insurance. (unless its a brand of the underwriter like More Than/ Royal & Sun Alliance)

If they allow you to pay monthly, then go for this option as it will be better for you. If not you will have to take a full 12 month policy. However after 2 months call up and say you no longer need the cover, they will then send you a pro-rata refund.

:thumb: