Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Research indicates that Cannabis disrupts brain centre

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
From the Beeb

This research appears to give more insight into the relationship between psychosis and Cannabis use.

Comments

• Options
    "...recorded reduced activity in an area of the brain which keeps inappropriate thoughts at bay."

that's somewhat vague isn't it? how on earth did they manage to work out what that bit of the brain did then ?
  • Options
    I think the link between the two has been around for a while although I'm not entirely convinced by it.

I think cannabis could play a part in triggering psychosis in those more susceptible to mental health problems. But I don't buy cannabis directly causes psychosis.

:thumb:
  • Options
    On a different but not unrelated note:

"An Institute of Psychiatry team gave healthy volunteers the active ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).

They then recorded reduced activity in an area of the brain which keeps inappropriate thoughts at bay."

Can you imagine anything more likely to "send you west" than being given a dose of THC then sitting in a scintific laboratory whilst scientists/psychatrists analyze your brain activity and thought patterns? :nervous:

Although I'm not a biologist, I would have thought that this is the kind of experiment where putting people in laboratory conditions (especially people who've never tried cannabis before) might distort the results a little bit...

Nevertheless, interesting article.
  • Options
    "Even at relatively low doses, they found 50% of healthy volunteers began to show symptoms of psychosis."

What does that mean? That they were high? That they were paranoid? Its totally meaningless. Plus of course this is people who have not used cannabis before, virtually everyone feels wierd on their first try, it may be nothing to do with the biochemistry and everything to do with the novelty of the experience. And what is a 'relatively low' dose anyway? Relative to what?

"Professor Murray also warned that the high potency cannabis now widely available was likely to pose a much bigger risk to health than the significantly weaker formulations of previous years.

"It is similar to comparing the effect of drinking a glass of wine at the weekend with drinking a bottle of vodka every day." "

And what is that? Its total rubbish, not only is there scant evidence that cannabis is getting stronger, but even if it is it assumes people consume the same weight regardless of strength, which is total rubbish.
  • Options
    From the Beeb

This research appears to give more insight into the relationship between psychosis and Cannabis use.

They link everything to everything to be fair ..

Yeah maybe cannabis doesn't help the brain and that but you're gonna die any way so you might as well enjoy yourself as much as you can that's what I think any way ..

but then again i only smoke up occasionally so it doesn't affect me
  • Options
    I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with it, and I haven't got round to reading the report yet, I was just flagging this up for discussion.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Don't mean to be picky, but as with any post, its a good idea, not to mention polite, for the OP to offer an opinion on what they are posting....
  • Options
    why? when we are discussing research or new findings its also of use simply to bring it to peoples attention for discussion.
  • Options
    inappropriate thoughts? how does the brain know whats inappropriate in soceity lol? it's all relative. I guess it means inappropriate in that persons mind, but everyone has inappropriate thoughts sometimes, they just have the self control not to take inappropriate actions. That section just feels a little bit like bullshit :x
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    why? when we are discussing research or new findings its also of use simply to bring it to peoples attention for discussion.

How can you have a discussion about it if you haven't read it and formed an opinion about it yourself?
  • Options
    have to say i find the research quite interesting based on personal experience, not sure i want to go into much more detail about the "inappropriate thoughts", lol. definitely part of the reason i cut down though.
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    inappropriate thoughts? how does the brain know whats inappropriate in soceity lol

Well presumably that person lives and/or grew up in that society.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    And what is that? Its total rubbish, not only is there scant evidence that cannabis is getting stronger, but even if it is it assumes people consume the same weight regardless of strength, which is total rubbish.

To be fair - and this may be anecdotal - but a lot of the weed i've been smoking over the last year has definitely been more potent. I'm talking one joint and I'm fucked, which wasn't the case a few years back.

Even if it's true though, all the more reason to legalise and regulate.
  • Options
    Spliffie wrote: »
    To be fair - and this may be anecdotal - but a lot of the weed i've been smoking over the last year has definitely been more potent. I'm talking one joint and I'm fucked, which wasn't the case a few years back.

Even if it's true though, all the more reason to legalise and regulate.

Which is my point exactly, even if it is getting stronger, that relies on people wanting to get more stonned, which if they do then they will regardless.
  • Options
    How can you have a discussion about it if you haven't read it and formed an opinion about it yourself?

If you see something that you think others might have an interest in its entirely legitimate to bring it up for their attention. As it happens I haven't had chance to read it yet but thought that I would bring it to the attention of board members who might be interested. Whats wrong with that?
  • Options
    Whats wrong with that?

Everything.
  • Options
    :rolleyes: i'm convinced
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    stonned

stoned! :mad: :D
  • Options
    Whats wrong with that?

Nothing, as far as I can see.
  • Options
    THC levels are thought to have doubled in street cannabis in recent years - at the expense of other ingredients which may have a beneficial effect.

A separate study has shown that one of these ingredients - cannabidiol (CBD) - has the potential to dampen down psychotic symptoms, and could form the basis of new treatments.

So if this cannabidol ingredient has the potential to dampen down psychotic symptoms we have yet another (potential) reason why the government should legalise cannabis.

Legal strains could be sold which contain more of the benficial things.
  • Options
    Whilst this is a report mentioned on the BBC, which helps, there's always going to be a bit of a problem if posters just bring up links. Especially in deciding on who is spamming or not, and whether new users are just promoting things they are involved in.

We like people to comment themselves so that it makes it easier for debate to take place, and avoids boards descending into what looks like a long list of threads with nothing but links.

So it's just kicking off a bit of a debate rather than leaving it as a flat reference, after all this isn't a blog, or an RSS feed - it is a discussion board.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Well presumably that person lives and/or grew up in that society.

it was to say that, society formed right and wrong, approriate and inappropriate in the first place.

why would there be a section of the brain which just dealt with something society came up with?
  • Options
    Surely the biggest issue here is how someone could have been handing out free "highs" and no-one from this board knew about it. Talk about gutted :thumb:
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    it was to say that, society formed right and wrong, approriate and inappropriate in the first place.

why would there be a section of the brain which just dealt with something society came up with?

What is society made up of?
  • Options
    Weed is calming
  • Options
    It's not calming for everyone.
  • Options
    What is society made up of?

yes, its made of people, but right and wrong are TAUGHT by the way we're brought up, by our experiences and by the media somewhat, it's not like a brain instinct as far as i know :S
  • Options
    If they are taught by people and people can internalise rights and wrongs, then surely it is a function of the brain? What else could it be? Freudians call the part of our selves that internalises morals the "superego".

I agree, its not an "instinct" though. Morality and empathy have to be learnt. A childhood without loving boundaries, a childhood of neglect and abuse often leads to an adulthood of no empathy and morals.
  • Options
    Whilst this is a report mentioned on the BBC, which helps, there's always going to be a bit of a problem if posters just bring up links. Especially in deciding on who is spamming or not, and whether new users are just promoting things they are involved in.

We like people to comment themselves so that it makes it easier for debate to take place, and avoids boards descending into what looks like a long list of threads with nothing but links.

So it's just kicking off a bit of a debate rather than leaving it as a flat reference, after all this isn't a blog, or an RSS feed - it is a discussion board.

I appreciate that, but none of this happened here; its from a reputable source and is (as has been shown to be the case) relevant to users on this board. What I think is a little ridiculous is asking me not to post this until I have an 'opinion' (whatever that might mean) on this.

What if I'm bringing this up because I don't feel able to give a sound opinion; sitting on the fence IS a position, you can't force people to play devils advocate (I would argue that in circumstances this could be irresponsible)
  • Options
    If they are taught by people and people can internalise rights and wrongs, then surely it is a function of the brain? What else could it be? Freudians call the part of our selves that internalises morals the "superego".

I agree, its not an "instinct" though. Morality and empathy have to be learnt. A childhood without loving boundaries, a childhood of neglect and abuse often leads to an adulthood of no empathy and morals.

Well yeah, but they imply that section of the brain just deals with right and wrong. I think it's a selective use of words to make it as efficient as possible at making the drug look worse...