Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Krakow

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Whats it like for going on the piss?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cheap, I'd imagine.
    I mean people, places etc.
    cheap, i'd imagine
    Well if you don't know anything about the place from personal experience then don't bother posting.
    muse- wrote: »
    cheap, i'd imagine
    :lol:
    I've been to Krakow (earlier this year). It's an awesome place, beautiful city - really impressive square and lots of pretty historic buildings. Nightlife is good too, there's lots of decent bars. (Lots around the main square in the centre, although locals told us most of the clubs in the centre are pretty crap and touristy...experience confirmed by our first night. The better places are a bit out in the student district). I'd recommend staying at Mama's Hostel; cheap, clean and right off the main square (which is really cool). Krakow (and Poland) has a lot more going for it than just being 'cheap.'

If you're interested in visiting Auschwitz it's about half an hour from Krakow. There are regular buses from the bus station (which is next to a massive shopping mall that you won't miss).
    Krakow is a fantastic place, it is wasted on a big piss-up (well, there's always time for a piss-up, but a piss-up alone is a waste). I guess that's what you're interested in, but in case you fancy a bit of cul-cha while you're there I am going to bore you ;)

Krawok itself is absolutely beautiful, it's a few years since I've been but I assume it hasn't uglified since. As well as the city itself there are the Zakopane (sp?) mountains which are just fabulous and there is a salt mine which I thought was awesome. Really interesting, too.

Dunno if you want to go to Auschwitz but if you do then definitely give yourself a good day there. I would recommend the tour, we had an English tour which started at 11am and finished at 3pm and our tour guide was great and well worth paying for. The museum itself is (or was, at least) free. The train from Krakow to Oœwiêcim - where the camp is -
    is very reliable and good so I'm told, but we just jumped on the local bone-shaker of a bus which was an experience in itself and cost us something like £2.50 each return! Of course, all of this may've changed since I was there. It is a very harrowing experience and one I'll never forget but it is fascinating, and really puts things into perspective. There is a little courtesy bus that will take you from Auschwitz 1 out to Auschwitz Birkenau and back. I found Birkenau even more distressing, if possible, but I am so glad I saw it.

In the actual city there is an old Jewish Quarter called Kazimierz that is so, so interesting. That's where the Galicia Jewish Museum is, which is basically made up of incredible images, quotes and stories from people who experience - and who were affected by - the Holocaust.

Anyway, back to the city and the stuff you actually want to know!

We stayed in a place called the Pollera which I would highly recommend. I'm sure it has a website, but we just rocked up there. I wouldn't recommend doing that though as friends of mine rolled up at the youth hostel to find it fully booked and ended up dossing down for the night. Whoops.

Wavel Castle in the city is well worth a visit, has beautiful architecture in different architectural styles and lovely views down the river Wisla.

On a lighter note about the Jewish quarter, there is also the most fantastic pub that I have ever been to. It's like going into someone's house. It's all furnished in old wartime furniture and you pass from one room to the next through a wardrobe - Narnia-style! It's called Alchemia. There's also a fabulous restaurant called Cherubino where you eat in carriages (a la horse drawn carriages, but without the horses - though I guess that's more "romantic weekend away" than "piss up with the lads" :lol:) The studenty areas are good for pubbing, and they are indeed cheap. While you're there you must also try a vodka called Zubrowka. They traditionally serve it with apple juice and is seriously lovely. I pine for it, and I'm not even a vodka (or apple juice) fan!

There are loads of other fab bars and restaurants, we didn't go clubbing while we were there but I did get given a little guide called' Krakow in your Pocket'. Totally invaluable. You can pick them up free of charge at most hotel reception desks, but in the meantime, if you want to have a look in more depth at things then here is the website. It's written very honestly and will see you right. In terms of clubbing then I would suggest asking the folk you meet when you're out and about there - best way to find the right type of club in any city. You won't be short of options, anyway :thumb:
    They might need a few plumbers and builders...
    briggi wrote: »
    Of course, all of this may've changed since I was there.

Can confirm it hasn't. :)

Although, I personally would not recommend the tour at Auschwitz/Birkenau. I don't think it needs a commentary. (Tbh, as powerful as Auschwitz is and whilst I'm glad I visited it, and would encourage others to, I have visited another camp in the Czech Republic and found it even more powerful...Auschwitz is full of large group visits and it caters for visitors, some effort has been made to accommodate visitors. By contrast, Terezin in the Czech Rep seems especially haunting because it's in tact, there's no visitor centre and little effort is made to accommodate tourists).
    Wavel Castle in the city is well worth a visit, has beautiful architecture in different architectural styles and lovely views down the river Wisla.

Yep, deffo agree.
    While you're there you must also try a vodka called Zubrowka. They traditionally serve it with apple juice and is seriously lovely. I pine for it, and I'm not even a vodka (or apple juice) fan!

My local in England started selling this a while back thanks to some Polish regulars...good stuff. Weird thing is I never tried it in Poland. Just stuck to the local beer.
    While you're there you must also try a vodka called Zubrowka. They traditionally serve it with apple juice and is seriously lovely. I pine for it, and I'm not even a vodka (or apple juice) fan!

Or you could just nip down to your local Wetherspoons and get a glass. ;)
    Or you could just nip down to your local Wetherspoons and get a glass. ;)

Aha, I wouldn't know. Not being a patron of Wetherspoons an' all. Regardless, you can't beat drinking it for pennies in its country of origin :thumb:

Warsaw is just as good for piss ups as Krawok, though maybe it isn't as easy to fly to. I thought Warsaw was like a different world and time but it has probably changed since then. I will never forget Stalin's penis aka the Palace of Culture and Science, and the part with big red arrows making sure you couldn't miss the entrance. How delightful! :)We avoided that entrance on purpose.
    Good stuff cheers Briggi.