Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wheat Intolerance Question

I went to the doctors this morning about my stomach problem. He said that he thinks it's IBS and I need to cut wheat out of my diet. He then gave me some tablets. (Colofac I think) and told me to come back in 4 weeks. He also weighted me because I mentioned that due to having the runs all the time (due to my intolerance) I've probably lost weight.

Anyway, I told my mum about this and she said that she thinks I might be able to get certain foods (bread and some other stuff) on prescription as bread runs out quickly and could be expensive.

My question is, is this actually true?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep, she's talking about gluten free products (which is usually associated with wheat allergy) and they are available on prescription.
  • Options
    Yes, it's true.

You may also find that things like rice cakes and oat cakes, jacket potatoes etc may be more convenient, or at least add some variety because the bread is really bland.
  • Options
    Thanks.

Is it true that I'm going to be like this for life?
  • Options
    That's how it usually works...
  • Options
    Juvela wheat free bread,rolls,pasta,biscuits etc.
    Pharmacies wouldnt usually keep them in stock as they dont have a particularly long shelf life, but would order them for you within a day or so.
    Hope you dont pay prescription charges though!
    You can get these sort of things from a supermarket(they usually have a aisle for 'free from' products.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    Hope you dont pay prescription charges though!

No I don't. But apparantely you can buy certificates so that you don't have to pay every time you need more food or something?:confused:

Do Sainsburys do such things as wheat free ready meals? I'm rubbish at cooking and really don't want to live on jacket potato/rice for the rest of my life...
  • Options
    gluten free products are very expensive in comparison. yes sainsburys have a variety of gluten and other "free from" products.
  • Options
    No, I've not come across wheat free ready meals, but if you've got problems with your gut then ready meals are a bad idea anyway.

You're far better off basically making your own by making lots of something when you can be bothered to cook and then freezing it into portions, way cheaper and better for you.

It depends on what it is as to whether you'll be like it for life, a lot of people are, but then a lot of people aren't and it gets better and worse for no obvious reason.
  • Options
    It depends on what it is as to whether you'll be like it for life, a lot of people are, but then a lot of people aren't and it gets better and worse for no obvious reason.

:yes:

I have wheat-sensitive IBS, and most of the time I'm totally fine eating wheat. Just now again, generally when it's flaring up, I only have to look at a slice of bread and I'm on the toilet for a week. I just cut it out or cut down until I feel better, then start eating it gradually again. All good.

Also, being sensitive to wheat isn't the same as wheat intolerance, so don't scare yourself into thinking it's a life sentence.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    gluten free products are very expensive in comparison. yes sainsburys have a variety of gluten and other "free from" products.

Got some of them today and my parents said they were really expensive. (apart from the rice cakes because they weren't free from anything)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Got some of them today and my parents said they were really expensive. (apart from the rice cakes because they weren't free from anything)

:yes: they don't taste as good either...
  • Options
    The crackerbread was really bland but the biscuits (berry I think they were) weren't too bad.
  • Options
    The crackerbread was really bland but the biscuits (berry I think they were) weren't too bad.

guess you'll get use to them ;)
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    guess you'll get use to them ;)

:p Don't really have that much of a choice do I?
  • Options
    :p Don't really have that much of a choice do I?

:lol:
  • Options
    im intolerant to vegetable matter. meat is so expensive can i get it on prescription?
  • Options
    Sorry sofie, but it looks like you will probably have to cook. One thing i like to make is chapati. You can make them with chickpea flour instead of normal, just add water to the flour, knead the dough, roll out and put in a pan. If you add a little bit of salt, and cumin they taste really good! Especially with chana masala (another gluten free dish). Hope that helps!

If you want anymore yummy gluten free recipes just pm me, and I will look some out for you.

Also, I used to haaate cooking, but once I learned the basics, it is actually sooo much fun. Especially the satisfaction you get from making something really yummy. With a little bit of imagination, I bet you could have a really good diet.
  • Options
    Thanks Talia. My mum did tell me last week that she has ordered a wheat free recipes book off eBay.