Home› Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

"Proper clothes"

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
K, so, in about a month me and Rich are winging our way off to Kenya to spend 3 weeks with my dad. But in those three weeks, my daddy has booked us into a "posh hotel" in Mombasa (this one, I believe). He says that I need to buy some "proper clothes" with some money that my mummy is gonna give me out of my savings account that I'm not allowed to touch. What I assume he means is nice posh-dinner clothes. But I have no idea where to start looking. I already know what shoes I want (I blame GWST for this): these ones. But other than that, not the foggiest. You can tell I don't go out to nice places very often >.<.

So, any suggestions would be helpful :D.

Comments

• Options
    a couple of dresses, a shawl/wrap, a cardigan. Think charlotte from sex and the city...
  • Options
    You don't do girly stuff do you? If you do, I'd suggest wearing nice mid length skirt or a nice pencil skirt with a nice top. The cardigan idea is good too.
  • Options
    coulottes, or however you spell them, good to dress up or down, not so girly if u don't do dresses.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Top Shop has some really nice smart linen trousers at the moment - both full length and cropped. They also have a really nice high waisted pencil skirt. You can probably also find these kind of things in other shops. There are also lots of nice shirts/blouses about. I agree that cardies are good too.

ETA: lovely shoes btw :)
  • Options
    Miss selfridge have got some really nice things online, and you should check out debenhams as well. If I were you I would buy things that you like enough to wear back here, there is nothing worse than buying some posh forcks and not ever wearing them.
  • Options
    You don't do girly stuff do you? If you do, I'd suggest wearing nice mid length skirt or a nice pencil skirt with a nice top. The cardigan idea is good too.

Bloody do :p.

That's a good idea though, thank yoooooooooou :).
  • Options
    ETA: lovely shoes btw :)

Aren't they just :D.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    Bloody do :p.

Oh, sorry. I'm just going by what I've seen you wear in real life and on photos. Oh, and the hair!!! Not that short hair isn't girly!

But yes, I'm full of ideas :D I think a pencil skirt would look nice on you :yes: Oh and those shoes are gorgeous. I might buy them myself :o
  • Options
    Oh, sorry. I'm just going by what I've seen you wear in real life and on photos. Oh, and the hair!!! Not that short hair isn't girly!

But yes, I'm full of ideas :D I think a pencil skirt would look nice on you :yes: Oh and those shoes are gorgeous. I might buy them myself :o
    Haha. I don't do girly very often, mostly in summer when I need light and flowy things :yes:.

As soon as I saw those shoes, I thought "OMG WANT". They have them in red as well :D.
  • Options
    Ha, glad you haven't taken offence. I re-read what I wrote and thought 'oh dear, she might take that the wrong way'.

I have lots of friends like you though but they go to the extremes of refusing to ever wear skirts, dresses, anything pink or even make-up!

Just found this shrug http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10001_17669_338769_-1(I don't know if you like them so sorry if you don't). The colour would go with those shoes. If you could find a pencil skirt/mid length skirt in a chocolate colour too and find a top that matches the coloured spots on the shoes to go underneath, then I think that would look really nice.

Then you've just gotta sort out your jewellery and handbag :D
  • Options
    Oooooh that's nice...my mum would probably kill me though, as she hates them ;o.

I was looking at the Dotty P's website (I'm far too addicted to that shop :(), and I found these things, and I wanna know if you think they'll go with the shoes (I'm SO bad at these things >.<):

http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=20552&storeId=12552&categoryId=51544&parent_category_rn=51542&productId=328014&langId=-1
    http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=20552&storeId=12552&categoryId=51544&parent_category_rn=51542&productId=327987&langId=-1
    (they have matching trousers which I would get as well - I know it's a hot climate but mosquitos are not my friends, particularly when I'm not taking any malaria tablets).

I'm not offended by you thinking I don't do girly, though. I don't do it often, and even then the best I can do is a floaty skirt. I wear mini-skirts sometimes, but I don't suppose they count :p.

I'm also really bad at handbags, as well (I don't actually own any), so you can help me with that if you want...

I'm so useless ;(.
  • Options
    Hehe, its ok. I like looking for clothes for people because it stops me temporarily looking for things for myself. Although, I've just been on DP's site and theres so many nice things :(

I'm not sure about the colour of the suit tbh. I tend to stick to matching colours and the colour of that suit isn't in the colour of your shoes.

I'll have a gander around and see if I can find anything that will go with them :)
  • Options
    Thank you :).

I'm so crap at this :o.
  • Options
    Franki!!! You dont need to go too OTT and change your style, just make it a little more smart-casual and semi-formal...you'd be fine going to those restaraunts wearing a nicely tailored pair of black trousers and a pretty top. Or a pretty/more formal skirt and nice pretty top...you get the idea. Dont let posh hotels dictate how you dress and act, just be yourself ;)

Oh maybe one really nice outfit with an inter-changeable top but thats all you need!!!

Oh and incase Rich is stuck, black pants and a few nice shirts and maybe a tie or two :p
  • Options
    ^ Agrees with the above.

I don't think you should wear a jacket or a full on suit. I think the shrug is nice tbh :p Its not too dressed up buts its smart. Wear a nice smart blouse underneath (that matches the spots on your shoes) along with some brown/chocolate trousers.

I've been looking around and there is TONNES of stuff to choose from so don't know what to post. Try looking at the online stores for places like Next, Marks and Spencers, Monsoon, Debenhams, etc for trousers and blouses.

Have a look, post links up here and I'll let you know what I think if you like :)
  • Options
    Ooo, I like that top :yes:

Whatever you decide to get, post it all on here! I wanna know what you choose in the end now!
  • Options
    I think I'm gonna get these as well:

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/92191524
    http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/91198456

Need help on the bag, obviously, and need a couple more tops, but otherwise I think I'm sorted :D.
  • Options
    Oooo lovely. Very girly for you Franki :p Hehe.

There are tonnes of brown bags about. I doubt you'll find it hard to find one.
  • Options
    Told you I can do girly :p.
  • Options
    With Amira's help :p

...just joking!
  • Options
    Oi, madam, I picked the last two :grump:.

:p.
  • Options
    Haha, ok!

Glad you found something anyways :)
  • Options
    YAY we've girlie-fied franki :p
  • Options