Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The chef's among you....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Id like some suggestions of recipe's that you reccomend.

Im trying to eat as healthy as possible lately, and because of this i want to ditch buying things in jars, or buying anything ready made (like bolognese, curry and other sauces) and try to make everything myself.

Also, i've been eating alot of snacky things lately (as i like to eat little and often). Im normally on the go so i'd like to maybe make my own healthy cereal bars, or fruity bread or something. I like the sound of banana bread!

I could just search for recipes on the internet, but id rather have something tested and tasted by you lot :yum:

Basically i want the recipes to be as healthy and low in calories.

Please help!

Comments

• Options
    So nobody has anything they cook which they can reccomend?

I am sad :(
  • Options
    I tried a really nice recipe from Jamie Olivers' bit on the Sainsburys' website - frying some mushies on some garlic ciabatta bread with mixed herbs.

Tastyyyyyy.

His snacky bit is really good, but the garlic ciabatta bread and fried mushies is a sexy party in your mouth, mate.
  • Options
    Do you count tinned tomatoes as ready made? I make lots of pasta sauces out of them ad lots of vegetables and herbs.
  • Options
    my fav thing too cook, mushroom risotto :yum:

this'll serve one, it takes a while to cook but it's so worth it. as for healty... it's probably fairly healthy :p

ingredients
    1 pack of oyster or shitake (or mixed interesting) mushrooms
    1 red onion
    1 big garlic clove
    1/3 pack of dried mushrooms (Merchant Goumet Mixed Dried Mushroom* or similar)
    1 vege stock cube, for 1 pint of stock
    1 small glass of white wine (I tend to use half one of those tiny small bottles you can get)
    enough proper risotto Rice rice for 1 (like sainsbury's Arborio Risotto Rice). I just use a small cup full.
    plenty of olive oil (& optionally a teaspoon of chilli oil)
    optional - some parmasan cheese

recipe
    prep
    1] soak dried mushrooms in warm water for half an hour (as per instructions).
    2] while they're soaking, slice the onion, and finely chop / grate the garlic. prepare your fresh mushrooms, (just cut the hard bits off, & cut in half. dont make them too small)
    3] remove dried mushrooms from the water, press the water out of them with a siv and put the nice brown liquid to one side.

cooking
    4] heat oil in a pan (preferably non stick)
    5] sauté onions & garlic for a few mins till onions begin to soften
    6] add all mushrooms, cook for further couple of mins
    7] add the rice, stir round for a min or so till nice and covered in oil
    8] turn down the heat, add glass of wine, simmer gently untill half the liquid's gone
    9] add brown liquid from mushrooms, simmer till it starts to reduce a little
    10] add all the vege stock, bring to the boil, and simmer on a medium heat till the rice is done, and the risotto is the consistency you like. (nice and gloopy!). this may take a while, probably at least half an hour, if not more.

if you find the rice is cooked before all the liquid's gone, just up the heat and keep stiring, so it doesnt stick to the pan.

11] right before the end, add in the parmasan cheese (about a table spoon 's worth probably) to make it stick together even better

12] EAT :thumb:

5018095115894_ALEA002_2_Spec2_253ce9.jpg
  • Options
    I would highly recommend this forum : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=33

If you have a look in the indexed collections (link in the box just above the "new thread" button it) there are loads of recipes there. They're all tried and tested and I cook alot of them...also some are amazingly cheap :thumb: The baking recipes are to die for :yum: Although do watch yourself, otherwise your waistline will start to expand (I speak from experience! :yes:)
  • Options
    I would highly recommend this forum : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=33

If you have a look in the indexed collections (link in the box just above the "new thread" button it) there are loads of recipes there. They're all tried and tested and I cook alot of them...also some are amazingly cheap :thumb: The baking recipes are to die for :yum: Although do watch yourself, otherwise your waistline will start to expand (I speak from experience! :yes:)

good find! found the indexed list of which you speak: link
  • Options
    Its only a good find cause I live on that site and that forum in particular :lol:
  • Options
    Ratatouille. Can have it with cheese, potatoes, blend it as a veggie spread, add beans to make it mexican, have it with cous cous, rice, whatever.

Fry up some onions in oil, add courgette, red peppers and stir for 3 minutes. Then add aubergine, garlic, ginger, cumin, (a little) basil and coriander. Stir for 3 minutes. Add some finely chopped tomatoes, stir, add some bay, and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.
  • Options
    i have lots of recipes....none of which are particularily healthy.

But tomato soup is pretty good and easy to make.....peel and boil tomatoes and add some pepper and cream. :p
  • Options
    Get some diced lamb from Morrisons, chuck it in a frying pan with mushrooms and peppers, put in some red wine and stick a baked tattie in the microwave.

That's my speciality :yes:
  • Options
    oh i got one!

Chicken and barley soup....i cook it with onions, carrots, celery and if i want it as a meal i stick in some potatoes. I dont use measurements so i am useless but i will try

NB: this will make a huge pot of soup!

2litres water (you can add more as and when you think you need it)
    one medium white or brown onion
    400g chicken breast (or as much as you want)
    2 cubes of chicken stock (i tend to use 3)
    about 2 girl sized handfulls of pearl barley

Stick that in the pot and put it on a high heat

Chop about a cup (or so) of baby carrots
    3 stalks of celery (chopped...less if you want)
    one huge potato chopped into 1inch pieces

now stick that in and cook....let it cook for a while, add salt and pepper (and if you want chilli flakes) to taste and then simmer uncovered for a while....

Add water if it starts to look too thick.
  • Options
    I've been larking about with my stuffed pepper recipe and seem to of perfected it.

For 2 people.

2 Large Peppers
    20g Porcini mushrooms
    1 Clove of garlic, crushed/finely chopped
    100g Cous cous
    25g Butter
    75g Grated cheese (cheddar and gruyere work the best)
    25g Grated Parmesan
    Boiling water

Preheat the oven to 200c/Gas Mark 6.

Put the mushrooms in a bowl and add 100ml boiling water and leave for about 20 minutes.

Cut the peppers in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and any white, pithy insides and trim the stalk down. Don't remove it completely as it helps the pepper keep it's shape. Place the pepper halves in an oven proof dish and put in the oven for 10 minutes.

Remove the mushrooms from the water and squeeze out any excess and keep the licquor to one side. Finely chop the mushrooms.

Gently fry the garlic in the butter for about 2 minutes until soft but not browned. Add the cous cous and stir throughly for about a minute so all the grains are coated. Top up the mushroom licquor with water to 120ml and add to the pan with the chopped mushrooms. Heat until boiling, put a lid on the pan and turn the heat off. Leave for 5 minutes.

Fork the cous cous to seprate the grains, take the peppers out of the oven and fill with the cous cous mixture. Top with grated cheese then the parmesan and bake for 20 minutes.

For a vegetarian option - use vegetarian cheddar and buy vegetarian parmesan. Veggie parmesan can be hard to get but you can leave it out as it's only added to give an extra crispy topping :)

For a vegan option - replace the butter with a vegetable/nut oil and replace the cheese with a sprinkling of nuts/seeds put on the peppers for the last 6 minutes of cooking. I've tried the vegan option with pine nuts and sesame seeds :yum: