Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

West Ham fined £5.5m

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh dear, the Hammers don't really need that right now.
    Pitty, although not a fan, I've always quite liked West Ham.
  • Options
    Not that I'd like to see it happen, but if they've fielded an ineligable player for the entire season (who was then voted for by fans as the player of the year) then surely they're very lucky to be avoiding a points deduction? Sure the management and owners are different, but it's still been this management and owner that have benefited by using Tevez. How is it fair to all of the other clubs in the relegation battle that West Ham should be allowed to field two Argentine internationals against the rules and not be punished for it, especially when one of them has had such an effect on the pitch? The FA kicked a team out of the FA Cup earlier in the year for fielding an ineligable player in one match without even a chance of a replay without the player. It's one of those things. You feel sorry for the fans, but at the end of the day, if West Ham stay in the Premiership at the cost of another club, it's pretty shitty imo. They've benefitted on the pitch, they need to be penalised on the pitch.

Also, if Tevez is allowed to play another minute of Premiership football this season, it'll be bullshit.
  • Options
    Thats going to hurt a lot if they go down.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    Thats going to hurt a lot if they go down.

Yeah, I'm sure their billionaire owner will be rummaging down the back of his sofa as we speak.
  • Options
    I've been wanting west ham to go down and charlton to stay up ever since they sacked pardew and got curbishley in. Shame they weren't deducted any points...
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm sure their billionaire owner will be rummaging down the back of his sofa as we speak.

Touche...
  • Options
    Not that I'd like to see it happen, but if they've fielded an ineligable player for the entire season (who was then voted for by fans as the player of the year) then surely they're very lucky to be avoiding a points deduction? Sure the management and owners are different, but it's still been this management and owner that have benefited by using Tevez. How is it fair to all of the other clubs in the relegation battle that West Ham should be allowed to field two Argentine internationals against the rules and not be punished for it, especially when one of them has had such an effect on the pitch? The FA kicked a team out of the FA Cup earlier in the year for fielding an ineligable player in one match without even a chance of a replay without the player. It's one of those things. You feel sorry for the fans, but at the end of the day, if West Ham stay in the Premiership at the cost of another club, it's pretty shitty imo. They've benefitted on the pitch, they need to be penalised on the pitch.

Also, if Tevez is allowed to play another minute of Premiership football this season, it'll be bullshit.

Spot on, it brings into question the AFC Wimbledon issue. I said then that I would hold counsel until this decision had been made and I'm not surprised with the outcome here.

£5m. Big fine, but they could still stay up and that is just wrong when they have fielded an ineligable player.
  • Options
    AFC had done a lot less and the case was a genuine mistake rather than the deliberate foul play here so one has to wonder if the decision not to deduct points was a fair one.

If West Ham save their necks I suspects the fans of the team going down in its place might certainly have something to say about it.
  • Options
    there was a good artcile in "When Saturday Comes" a few weeks ago - before the appeal went through - which highighted both of these cases and they suggested that West Ham would get off without any loss of points.

How must Bury feel about this too...

Typicla fucking FA TBH - one rule for the Prem and one for the smaller clubs. Having said that, don't get me started on the Conference and Scarborough...
  • Options
    Something similar happened here two or three years ago, Livingston signed Hassan Kachloul as an "amateur" but they were paying him which broke the rules.

Last game of the season was a loser goes down game against Dundee, and Kachloul crossed the ball right onto their strikers head for the goal that kept them up.

They pussied out of docking them points too.

TBH I think West Ham are doomed anyway, not the point though.
  • Options
    So West Ham have just won 3-0 with Tevez in the team. Anyone think this is fair to the surrounding teams?
  • Options
    So West Ham have just won 3-0 with Tevez in the team. Anyone think this is fair to the surrounding teams?
    No it ain't. If West Ham save their necks it'd be a great injustice for the team that takes its place.
  • Options
    Spot on, it brings into question the AFC Wimbledon issue. I said then that I would hold counsel until this decision had been made and I'm not surprised with the outcome here.

£5m. Big fine, but they could still stay up and that is just wrong when they have fielded an ineligable player.

What happened with AFc Wimbledon?

TBH, I think a points deduction would've hurt more than a fine.
  • Options
    The fielded an ineligible player and were docked all the points they gained with him in the team - 18 in total. It was reduced on appeal but they could still miss promotion.

Irony is that they fell down on an obscure law rather than something quite so blatant.

For the Premier League to use the "West Ham might get relegated" excuse is a cop out. It didn't worry them when Middlesborough had a flu outbreak and cancelled a game. It didn't worry the football league when the punished Rotherham - who are now relegated... this is just another bottled decision.
  • Options
    Interesting...

From the BBC Website:
    West Ham received clearance to pick Carlos Tevez against Wigan on Saturday by tearing up their deal with his owners, a move which could lead to legal action. (Sunday Mirror)

And if the Hammers do manage to stay up, the clubs that are relegated from the Premiership could start legal proceedings as West Ham escaped a points deduction over the Tevez/Javier Mascherano affair. (Sunday Express)
  • Options
    an absolute disgrace, and if wigan go down now i expect that there will be a lot of legal arguments

i think west ham should be docked half the points they got with tevez playing, or 15 points, whichever is greater. and then still have to pay the £5.5m fine.

the premiershit bottled it because west ham = london = good and wigan = northern = shit. west ham may stay up through blatant cheating, and thats just typical of the cocksuckers at the fa. middlesbrough (dirty northerners too) were relegated for something far more trivial.

whelan wont stand for it.
  • Options
    Dude lose the northern chip on your shoulder.

Crawley Town, Farnborough and AFC Wimbledon are not nothern towns are they?