Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Do I need to tell the housing benefit people?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was on Income Support but will be going onto JSA. My rent is paid and it is the same amount as it was when I was on JSA a year ago, so the amount won't be effected. I'm just thinking if I tell the housing benefits people (they are a shambles here as very under staffed and they take ages to sort anything - approx 4-6 weeks behind)it might mess my rent up for a bit........What do I do?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i dont think you need to for that. Youre still on social security benefits and the amount hasnt changed.
    To be honest I've always told them when things have changed but luckily the last few times I've had enough money in the bank to tide me over while they pull their fingers out their bums and update the records at their end. I can't see there being any consequences of you not telling them - like you said the money hasn't changed but maybe it's better for you to say now, rather than wait a few weeks until they find out and be caught unawares? I dunno - completely understand where you are coming from. Hope you are starting to feel a bit better x
    Cheers ladies - Yes Jooly I'm really getting there now, medication is working a treat, never been so healthy!
    I'm gona have a little think - just remembered I know someone who works for them, may have a word and see what she says.
    They always make it as difficult as possible to do the right thing it seems.
    I would tell them just to be on the safe side.
    income-based JSA is a passporting benefit for housing and council tax benefit so you would be fine not to tell them.
    they already know and contacted me - everything's been suspended until I tell them the exact same information that I have told them 4 times already.
    Why is JSA such a breeze and HB such a pain in the frigging arse?
    Oh no!! Sorry this has happened - nothing is ever easy or straightforward when it comes to housing benefit :no:

I have this same problem with them every year - I get a payrise each year in June. The unions can never agree it and then it usually comes through around December as a lump sum shown seperately on my payslip. I give them all the proof I have that it is backdated to June, but oh no - they have to contact my pay office for confirmation and then they have to re-assess each month. This can take them up to 8 weeks and in the meantime they suspend my benefit. They quite often get it wrong and I have to appeal their cock up. Thats again, anything up to 8 weeks to sort out. This has happened to me every year for the last 10 years now :(
    Oh no!! Sorry this has happened - nothing is ever easy or straightforward when it comes to housing benefit :no:

I have this same problem with them every year - I get a payrise each year in June. The unions can never agree it and then it usually comes through around December as a lump sum shown seperately on my payslip. I give them all the proof I have that it is backdated to June, but oh no - they have to contact my pay office for confirmation and then they have to re-assess each month. This can take them up to 8 weeks and in the meantime they suspend my benefit. They quite often get it wrong and I have to appeal their cock up. Thats again, anything up to 8 weeks to sort out. This has happened to me every year for the last 10 years now :(
    :( boooo
    I really just don't get the difference in the 2. When you haven't had enough money to tie you over, what has your landlord been like?
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    they already know and contacted me - everything's been suspended until I tell them the exact same information that I have told them 4 times already.
    Why is JSA such a breeze and HB such a pain in the frigging arse?

thats why i suggested not telling them. yes they should pay you back but not everyones landlord appreciates waiting months for rent. HB are arseholes and its just OTT beaurocrasy and red tape. In the end with me i had to go in, cry and tell them that if they didnt hurry up, i weas going to be presenting as homeless and then they could house me as well as pay my rent. They sorted itr out after that, but i waited months.
    When it happened with my first landlord he tried to evict me!! :yeees: Well he gave me notice and I went and ranted at the benefit office that it was all their fault. Was sorted fairly quick after that and I stayed in the bedsit I had. But yeah - landlords don't like DSS tenants for the above reason basically - all's fine and dandy until HB cock up and it's up to the landlord to go without his income until it's sorted.

These days I have enough savings to cover the housing benefit element of my rent (they pay about half of mine) if they stop paying me. It still stings but would rather stay in my landlords good books as he keeps the rent cheap and fixes things properly when they go wrong. He's also my friends uncle and she put a good word in for me when I wanted this place - he didn't want any DSS as such.