Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

140 brown people are killed...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...let's see how many papers put it as their main story. Because when they were going through the papers on News 24 before, only the Independent had it as their main story, and only two others (including the Financial Times, for fucks sake) had it on their front page.

Comments

• Options
    Financial times :eek: why on earth would that staunch supporter of global capitalism give a fuck :eek:

:lol:
  • Options
    I actually think it's quite sad, cause that amount of lives being lost in a day should really be a major, major story. The fact that isn't just goes to show how much deep shit we're in in Iraq, cause the loss of human life on the scale we're seeing on a daily basis is horrific and it's seen as an everyday occurence now.

Hits home when you've got friends fighting over there, and they didn't need to be there at all. I know the shootings in America were horrible too and there's issues surrounding guns etc, but I think in 20 years time, the balls up and loss of life in this whole war will be one of the big tragedies of my lifetime :(
  • Options
    Oh, because apparently they've also discovered that Iraq has about twice as much oil as first though, making it the second biggest oil reserves in the world. And I suppose they can't mention that, without mentioning the fact that some people dies there yesterday.

I thought that the Iraq killings would make the news more prominently though, because it is the biggest number of deaths from a single incidenct.
  • Options
    It made headlines for some time in one of the biggest online news source in Iceland today, however it's been bumped down to report from what is possibly the biggest fire in the town center, scalding hot water leaking down the main shopping street and... wait for this... two headline news on how Eidur Smari Gudjohnsen scored a goal in a winning match and the other reporting that some basketball dude I've never heard of signs up for a Spanish team I've not heard of either.

Just proves how twisted the list of priorities has become. It's awful that people can just not know or care and would prefer to catch up on who Brintey Spears is currently dating.

I think one factor in it is the fact that people feel powerless. It's really quite awful to think about all these deaths that get passed almost in silence in the news, how all these lives are being lost for nothing. Sometimes it's easier to bury my head in the sand because it seems that nothing can be done about it. I think that in some sense the society encourages it. It's far easier to sit at home and watch the news than voice your opinion and try to be heard.

I'll never forgive those two persons in Iceland who on their own decided to connect MY country and MY nation and thus MY name to this disgusting war in Iraq. I think it's fucking vile that it's even possible.
  • Options
    Most people who read newspapers can do anything about Iraq. 2million ranting and raving in london couldnt so i suppose people settle with being quietly horrified about whats happening in Iraq while thier £s are more able to influece newspapers reporting more interesting things that happen closer to home.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2006/07/the_statistics_of_war.html
    And 1200 black people, but I guess that no-one notices them...

Some stories are more newsworthy than others - even in the US gun massacres remain rare and this is the most bloody there has ever been. Unfortunately murderous fanatics killing there fellow country men in Iraq is more common....
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    Most people who read newspapers can do anything about Iraq. 2million ranting and raving in london couldnt so i suppose people settle with being quietly horrified about whats happening in Iraq while thier £s are more able to influece newspapers reporting more interesting things that happen closer to home.
    Like Virginia? ;)
  • Options
    News is about sharing cultural values, the UK has a lot of links with the US.

A college gunman killing 33 people is more newsworthy than something that seems to happen in Iraq almost every day. I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

Also, it's far more difficult for journalists to report in Iraq. It's more dangerous, there is language barriers etc.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    News is about sharing cultural values, the UK has a lot of links with the US.

A college gunman killing 33 people is more newsworthy than something that seems to happen in Iraq almost every day. I'm not saying it's right, it's just the way it is.

Also, it's far more difficult for journalists to report in Iraq. It's more dangerous, there is language barriers etc.

Tis true, we do share a lot of moral and cultural similarities. And with the amount of teenage gun crime in the UK right now, that college shooting could very easily have happened here. It's just made easier in the US with a more relaxed attitude to firearms possesion.
  • Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2006/07/the_statistics_of_war.html
    And 1200 black people, but I guess that no-one notices them...

Some stories are more newsworthy than others - even in the US gun massacres remain rare and this is the most bloody there has ever been. Unfortunately murderous fanatics killing there fellow country men in Iraq is more common....

The complete glossing over of the whole Congo war is a disgrace of journalism. I'm not saying it hasn't been reported, but if a war with such a high number of people dying (3.8m last I heard) involved any western country, it would be WW3. Guess it doesn't count if it's Africans though.
  • Options
    The complete glossing over of the whole Congo war is a disgrace of journalism. I'm not saying it hasn't been reported, but if a war with such a high number of people dying (3.8m last I heard) involved any western country, it would be WW3. Guess it doesn't count if it's Africans though.

You have to think of the target audience. The west frankly doesn't care much about anything bad as long as it's not happening on their doorstep. The media controls this outlook, they tell us what we want, not the other way round.