Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Women get in Free

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
There seem to be loads of places women get in free on certain nights .. nightclubs, etc .. just was wondering .. ain't there a law against that sorta thing?

Latest thing I saw was women can go to one place normally £15 for free but if men want to go they either shell out £15 or dress in women's clothes and make-up. :eek2:

Normally I'd say it's good to to pay to get in somewhere (as a guy) and have women come for free rather then there be no women at all ... but a while back I went with a friend to a social, semi-singles thing and men paid £15 to get in and women got in free but .. in a way was a waste of time cos a lot of the women that came only were there for the free food.

I think my friend would rather there was less women there who paid to get in but were serious about meeting someone.

Thoughts and legal opinions please ... :)

Comments

• Options
    I'm pretty sure it's not illegal, but it's blatantly discrimination. But it's only done because it's good for business. Every nightclub owner knows if you get the girls in, the the men follow. Whereas there's nothing worse for both sexes than a club full of blokes.
  • Options
    It's the same for student nights, in Bristol anyway. I've been to many a club where you can't get in without an NUS card, but if your a girl you can get in regardless.
  • Options
    What annoys me is when you go to a Bar or Club in a male only group and turned away at the door.

My friend and 6 of his friends all got turned away from several places on a night out - I wasn't there but seen it happen before - but if it's a group of 7 women I doubt they'd get turned away from the door.

Don't think they were drunk or dressed badly or anything.

If it's a choice between paying £15 to get in somewhere regardless of women getting in free, I'd rather they came in free BUT does lower the quality of women that come .. LOL
  • Options
    What annoys me is when you go to a Bar or Club in a male only group and turned away at the door.

My friend and 6 of his friends all got turned away from several places on a night out - I wasn't there but seen it happen before - but if it's a group of 7 women I doubt they'd get turned away from the door.

Don't think they were drunk or dressed badly or anything.

If it's a choice between paying £15 to get in somewhere regardless of women getting in free, I'd rather they came in free BUT does lower the quality of women that come .. LOL

:eek2: Are you suggesting that women who can afford to pay £15 to get in are 'better quality' than women who get in free?? :shocking: Snob! :p
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    :eek2: Are you suggesting that women who can afford to pay £15 to get in are 'better quality' than women who get in free?? :shocking: Snob! :p

I'm talking more about dating and singles ..

I once saw this TV Programme about dating websites and this expert (a woman who's researched a lot of dating websites) gave one tip - go for a website where you have to pay something to join cos all the time wasters and freaks go for the free ones - even paying £1 and having to hand over your credit card details is enough to put off a lot of time wasters from joining those sites - in the case of the social / dating event I went to with my friend it appeared to be the case ... you could just tell a lot of those women has come for the freebies.

When it's a paid for event you'll almost always find there's more women then men at the event.

My Aunt who's just turned 40 and is single wanted my advice on dating sites and I told her the same - better to pay something and filter out all the time wasters then go for the freebie sites. But first I gave her some free local social groups sites to check out first... because in those you actually meet people and just the fact you have to get off your butt and get out there inthe real world filters out a lot of wacko's (mostly men)
  • Options
    I'm talking more about dating and singles ..

I once saw this TV Programme about dating websites and this expert (a woman who's researched a lot of dating websites) gave one tip - go for a website where you have to pay something to join cos all the time wasters and freaks go for the free ones - even paying £1 and having to hand over your credit card details is enough to put off a lot of time wasters from joining those sites - in the case of the social / dating event I went to with my friend it appeared to be the case ... you could just tell a lot of those women has come for the freebies.

When it's a paid for event you'll almost always find there's more women then men at the event.

My Aunt who's just turned 40 wanted my advice on dating sites and I told her the same - better to pay something and filter out all the time wasters then go for the freebie sites.

Oh....yes..well when it's dating events, can understand that..thought you were just talking about standard club nights and the like!! :blush:
  • Options

That's cos when bouncers see a group of fellas who are mates, they automatically think there'll be more of a chance of fighting. That's why it's better for fellas to go up in two's and three's.
  • Options
    HanHan wrote: »
    Oh....yes..well when it's dating events, can understand that..thought you were just talking about standard club nights and the like!! :blush:

Yep I swear half the women there brought their mothers, aunts and their grannies with them for a free feed :eek2:
  • Options
    Yep bouncers can basically be as racist, sexist or otherwise prejudiced as they like without anyone being able to complain. Like the whole no trainers rule, which I reckon only exists when someone they don't like the look of happens to be wearing trainers, and they have an easy excuse to reject them.
  • Options
    Yep bouncers can basically be as racist, sexist or otherwise prejudiced as they like without anyone being able to complain. Like the whole no trainers rule, which I reckon only exists when someone they don't like the look of happens to be wearing trainers, and they have an easy excuse to reject them.

I do think anyone dumb enough to wear trainers to a club shouldn't be let in anyway cos it's a well known rule and excuse for the bouncers to turn people away .. :)

Not saying it's right or fair but don't know why some guys don't make the effort to wear proper shoes on a night out. And always worst when there's a group of lads and just 1 person wears trainers and prevents everyone else from getting in.
  • Options
    I do think anyone dumb enough to wear trainers to a club shouldn't be let in anyway cos it's a well known rule and excuse for the bouncers to turn people away .. :)

Not saying it's right or fair but don't know why some guys don't make the effort to wear proper shoes on a night out. And always worst when there's a group of lads and just 1 person wears trainers and prevents everyone else from getting in.

I've never been rejected from a club for wearing trainers. ;) And I only ever wear shoes if I go out straight from work.
  • Options
    It's all marketing in it.

Lots of women in a venue= lots of lads on the pull will come in.

Not very fair, admittedly. Then again you wouldn't usually want to be seen dead inside any establishment that operates such scheme. It's bound to be a dive.

I'm personally outraged at the 'kids go free' offers you see in holiday and hotel brochures. Talk about ageism! :mad:

;)
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I'm personally outraged at the 'kids go free' offers you see in holiday and hotel brochures. Talk about ageism! :mad:
    ;)

thats what really f**cks me off, i mean they arnt free, they just up the adult price so every one ends up paying for the kids, even those of us that without kids.
  • Options

;)

I hate this as well. However, I think when it comes to trains, buses, etc. it's to do with the fact that most children under 3 won't require a seat and sit on their parents laps, so their parents would be paying for a seat they won't use.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    I hate this as well. However, I think when it comes to trains, buses, etc. it's to do with the fact that most children under 3 won't require a seat and sit on their parents laps, so their parents would be paying for a seat they won't use.

Oh no, I've seen plenty of people reserve a seat for their kids and refuse to put them on their knee and let an older person sit down.
  • Options
    It's all marketing in it.

Lots of women in a venue= lots of lads on the pull will come in.

Not very fair, admittedly. Then again you wouldn't usually want to be seen dead inside any establishment that operates such scheme. It's bound to be a dive.

;)

No comment about the discrimination then? I don;t really want to get back into an old argument again but would you say the same if it was White free, Black £15?
  • Options
    I've never been rejected from a club for wearing trainers. ;) And I only ever wear shoes if I go out straight from work.

Me neither, i've often wondered if it's a northern / southern thing, or just the sort of clubs i frequent...
  • Options
    down where i live, southeast kent, everyone has to wear shoes when they go to a club,
  • Options

I rarely, if EVER, go into a club where you *have* to wear shoes. They are usually cheesy shite, full of complete cocks.

Give me a decent 'proper' club, where people are there to dance, not eye-ball each other/pull, anyday.
  • Options
    No comment about the discrimination then? I don;t really want to get back into an old argument again but would you say the same if it was White free, Black £15?

Exactly. The argument goes that if they're private premises then they should be allowed to let whoever they want in. You don't have the RIGHT to get into that club. However, the smoking ban shows that such places aren't private premises and thus they can't make decisions for themselves.

The principle of it is basic club psychology. If you (a girl) save a shit load on getting in cos it's free if you've got a minge between your legs then you're more likely to go there cos you've got more money to spend on drinks. Blokes will go there because with the ladies-get-in-free policy, chances are, there'll be loads of girls there so more chance of pulling. Simple enough.
  • Options
    I think I've only been to a place where women get in free once. It was in New York, and we went there because everywhere else seemed to charge about £20 to get in. It was dire.

I don't think I've ever seen that kind of thing here...I don't often go to places you have to pay to get into anyway, or if you do, it's only a few quid. I don't like this new thing where you have to pay just to go in a bar, it never happened when I first started going out. Stops you going on proper bar crawls!
  • Options
    I find that offers like "women get in free" or loads of men being turned away only happens at shitty clubs. :p
  • Options
    Yes I would and I guess deep down there might be no difference between the two scenarios but I still see the fundamental differences amongst them. The latter is not fuelled by hatred or prejudiced, and in practically all cases the 'ladies go free' initiative is limited to one or two days a week only.

It'd be best if the practice was abandoned and I wouldn't mind if a law was passed to ban them but I wouldn't even call it discrimination- not any more than the 'kids go free' offers any way.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    I rarely, if EVER, go into a club where you *have* to wear shoes. They are usually cheesy shite, full of complete cocks.

Agreed. The only people I see kicking about town going to clubs in shiny black shoes, black trousers and shirts are dressed up chavs and middle agers.

Anyway, back to the original topic. Never ever seen a club do this, but it is bullshit. Although it's common practise for pretty much everywhere to give girls priority getting in at the door. Hell, some places even have seperate queues for girls/guys, or the bouncers shout for the girls to come to the front of the queue.
  • Options
    Its just price discrimination - the exploitation of market power by a firm to offer different prices to different groups.

Nothing to get too worked up about I wouldn't think.......
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    I find that offers like "women get in free" or loads of men being turned away only happens at shitty clubs. :p
    Oh god no! I know a fair few bouncers and most of them will openly admit if there's too many guys in a club they'll stop 'em coming in and only let the ladies in 'til the ratio's more even!
  • Options
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    Oh god no! I know a fair few bouncers and most of them will openly admit if there's too many guys in a club they'll stop 'em coming in and only let the ladies in 'til the ratio's more even!
    Does that translate as, "til there's more ass for me to perve on?"

I agree that it's usually the shitholes that offer this though. The one place that used to do this in my town was the type of place where you'd have to check your chair for a used syringe before you sit down, it was such a dive. Ime, girls don't like this rule anyway, because all it means is clubs full of blokes on the pull hoping that there'll be loads of girls that are up for it.
  • Options
    Oh no, I've seen plenty of people reserve a seat for their kids and refuse to put them on their knee and let an older person sit down.

Talk about being selfish...

I've never experienced this 'women get in for less' or anything similar to that.
  • Options
    The one near me was a bloke that pays can bring a girl in for free. Presumably so that the 14 year old girls they let in feels obliged to suck the guy off in the toilets afterwards for getting them in.
  • Options
    I only go to dance venues. Never been rejected, nor has door policy ever favoured one gender :-)