Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

st.john's wort...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
...Not sure about the name...
however, the actually stuff does help me a little bit.

Anyone else taken it to help with anxiety etc? What did you think?

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i was going to make a post about this and other stuff to relieve anxiety and calm you down and what ever.

    I've not tried it but i'm considering it because of my anxiety i can't get rid of.

    what effect does it have on you?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    be careful if you take it with any other drugs
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well, when I first took them, it took a few days to kick in, once it did I felt like my thoughts were changing, it was wierd, I suddenly felt like I had a positive side to myself again. Then I stopped taking it and felt really low and started thinking of suicide, so I went back on them again, and then SLOWLY came off them. That was more to do with the depression though, this time I'm taking them to help with my anxiety and getting back into social situations, sometimes even just walking down the high street can be a challenge...

    I guess it just has different effects for different people, you can always come off them, but do it gradually.

    Also, just asking another question, but has anyone ever had sudden feelings of intense fear for no reason, and had to just go hide somewhere like the toilets? Because that occasionally happens to me, and I don't know if it is anxiety, or I am just wierd...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nutter wrote: »
    Also, just asking another question, but has anyone ever had sudden feelings of intense fear for no reason, and had to just go hide somewhere like the toilets? Because that occasionally happens to me, and I don't know if it is anxiety, or I am just wierd...

    might be a panic attack. does your chest get tight / is your breathing erratic?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    maybe a little. but not so much that i am breathing into a paper bag...

    It's just so intense, like that moment when someone makes you jump, but more prolonged. Lasts for a minute or so. I don't know, maybe it is nothing. :nervous:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nutter wrote: »
    maybe a little. but not so much that i am breathing into a paper bag...

    It's just so intense, like that moment when someone makes you jump, but more prolonged. Lasts for a minute or so. I don't know, maybe it is nothing. :nervous:

    is there something specific that triggers it?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ah sorry i don't really remember. Maybe just awkward situations, crowded places etc...

    One thing i know for sure is that sometimes my hands shake, ah yeah my breathing does get irregular, sometimes get dizzy, start pacing around a lot. that kinda thing
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just a quick one - you really shouldn't take St John's Wort if you're on the contraceptive pill as it can affect how effective it is. :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    probably is a panic attack. - may be you should see a doctor and get something better than st johns wort to help?!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just a quick one - you really shouldn't take St John's Wort if you're on the contraceptive pill as it can affect how effective it is. :)

    it can fuck with lots of different medications / drugs
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote: »
    it can fuck with lots of different medications / drugs
    What just st johns wort or others like quiet life etc?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I went to my doctor about these things aaaages ago, she didn't want to give me anything because i was under 18, then i became 18 and still nothing was done.
    So.. i don't really have much choice but to help myself. PLus when i go see the doc, i feel really uncomfortable and end up not saying what i wanted to, it's quite a predicament... :impissed: :crying:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote: »
    it can fuck with lots of different medications / drugs

    Yes, but the result of those being messed with isn't usually a baby. I saw that you'd already said that, but i thought it was worth mentioning that in particular it is known for affecting the contraceptive pill :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nutter wrote: »
    So.. i don't really have much choice but to help myself.

    always the best way, without exception. - YOU are the best person to help yourself. but... your doctor is the only person who can prescribe drugs. and although most doctors are shit when it comes to dealing with patients with mental health problems they do have an obligation to try and help. if you canot talk to your doctor - write it down before you go in. and if your doctor is a complete arse, go to a different doctor.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    haha right o

    only problem is actually getting there... but I'll see how things go. If it gets unbearable then I will fight my case a lot harder...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nutter wrote: »
    only problem is actually getting there...
    problem?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my parents like to know everything, last time i went to the doc by myself they threw a wobbly, i guess it would be ok to just catch a bus tho...

    :(

    *listens to the smiths*
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well. what you say to your dr is confidential. so there is no reason for your folks to know anything. - you could be popping down to the shops or something for all they know...
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote: »
    be careful if you take it with any other drugs
    Yeah, i would like to try it but im on other medication so I can't.
Sign In or Register to comment.