Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

6th Form College

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just out of interest what is 6th form college like? Here in Scotland you stay at high school for either 5 or 6 years and do the "get-into-uni" exams in those years. A Scottish undergrad degree is 4 years as compared to the English 3 years so 1st year of uni in Scotland is supposed to be like 6th form in England.

Do you think 6th form college is like uni? Can you choose quite a wide range of subjects? :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think it's closer to high school than university (not that I've been to university yet, but it's just my expereince of sixth form), because university usually has the life experiences of moving away from home, living on your own etc.

At my college there was a huge range of subjects to chose from, and most people chose to do four in their first year to AS level, then drop one and do three in their second year to A level. I did five, then dropped two; so there are lots of choices.

Also, at sixth form there are often people doing GCSE's because they didn't get them first time at school.
    6th form is far more like your last years of school than it is uni.

At 6th form you have a fairly wide choice of subjects, and you take several subjects whereas at uni you focus on one. You usually have to turn up to regestration, tutor sessions etc, as well as your classes and if you're doing it the standard way you have at least 16 taught hours a week (less than some uni courses).
    silverhalo wrote: »
    Do you think 6th form college is like uni?

absolutly not
    Not in the slightest. My 6th form was a building in my secondary school, so I didn't go anywhere to study my A Levels and was taught by the same teachers that I'd know for the past 4 years in school.

The list of options was very brief and very academic. Absolutely no vocational options whatsoever.

So, no. My 6th form was nothing like university - we still called our teachers 'miss' and 'sir' in 6th form, which you certainly don't do in uni.

Basically, it was just 2 more years of school, but with our own 'common room' and cook.
    Not in the slightest. My 6th form was a building in my secondary school, so I didn't go anywhere to study my A Levels and was taught by the same teachers that I'd know for the past 4 years in school.

Ditto.
    So, no. My 6th form was nothing like university - we still called our teachers 'miss' and 'sir' in 6th form, which you certainly don't do in uni.

Really? We were allowed to call our teachers by their real names, but everyone still called them 'miss' or 'sir'.
    Yeah, there's no way we would get away with calling any teach by their first name. Sometimes we'd slip up and say their surname instead like Mr Price was Pricey, which they didn't mind too much, but definitely no first names allowed.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    6th form is far more like your last years of school than it is uni.

At 6th form you have a fairly wide choice of subjects, and you take several subjects whereas at uni you focus on one. You usually have to turn up to regestration, tutor sessions etc, as well as your classes and if you're doing it the standard way you have at least 16 taught hours a week (less than some uni courses).

:yes: I did call my tutors by their first names at sixth-form, but ultimately it felt more like school.
    **Helen** wrote: »
    :yes: I did call my tutors by their first names at sixth-form, but ultimately it felt more like school.

I found this as well.
    silverhalo wrote: »
    so 1st year of uni in Scotland is supposed to be like 6th form in England.

:)

I dont think that is true, in my opinion. Loads of people go from from English A levels to a 4 year Scottish uni, and find the first year much harder work.

People from Scotland sometimes start university at 17, dont they. I cant understand how people make that work, social life would be pretty shit for start, not being legally aloud to drink
    olaola wrote: »
    People from Scotland sometimes start university at 17, dont they. I cant understand how people make that work, social life would be pretty shit for start, not being legally aloud to drink

We can actually start uni at 16 ...my sister didn't turn 17 until February in her first year :) I didn't turn 18 until the start of second year. It does make a bit of a difference but if you are in the student union they don't usually say anything at the bar- only tell you not to drink when you go in- it's only really a problem getting into clubs and bars in the city. hehe. The old days...:shocking: