Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Oh my fucking word.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I may comit a murder.

So my essay that I done last night.. after spending hours quickly typing it all and trying to find references, I needn't have bothered, apparently.

My printer at Uni doesn't work. So I got up in plenty of time today to make I could print it off and hand it in before the deadline (12.00). At about 10.45 I went to use my flatmates printer. After a couple of failed attempts, we realised it'd run out of black ink, so she told me to change the colour of the text to a dark navy, and she'd use the colour cartridge. So, after spending a while changing the colour of the text to the darkest possible navy colour, I went back to her room and tried to re-print. Waited a little while, and then she tells me that the colour cartridge had run out of ink too. Pain in the arse, but not too much of a problem, it was about 11.20 by this point, so I still had plenty of time to go to the library and print my work off there. So off I toddled. Of course, because I never go to the library (oops!), I didn't realise how bloody busy it'd be. Anyway, printed my work off.. eventually, after alot of waiting in a queue and pulling my hair out, my work printed. This was a good 15-20 minutes later. So by this time it's almost 11.55. Shit. So I ran down to the reception (which is about 10 minutes away), and get there about 1 minute past 12. Just as I walked in, I saw the woman come over the submission box to empty it. I grabbed a front sheet, and she said to me, "Hurry up if you're giving work in now, I'm just about to empty the box." So, my heart beating a thousand times to the second, I breathed a short shy of relief, thinking, "I've just made it!" So I scribbled my information down on the front sheet, (I've never been a fast writer, filling it out in 10 seconds was quite an acomplishment for me) and was just stapling it together as the woman comes back with the box. Just as I went to hand it to her she says, "It's too late now, the box has been emptied. Put it back in the box where it'll go in the late pile." She's lucky she didn't get a black eye.

So, what a waste of bloody effort. My essay that was no more than 2 minutes late, goes into a pile of work which is anything upto 2 weeks late. Obviously I needn't have bothered working on it last night, as now my mark is automatically capped at 40. Jesus Christ, come off it lady, late? She hadn't even emptied the box when I walked in there.

I'm so frustrated I could cry. Hmph. :(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    That... is fucking bullshit.... :mad:
  • Options
    I think a black eye was definetely in order there.
    :banghead: What a miserable bitch she sounds.
  • Options
    OMG I would have cried.
  • Options
    I think you should complain to your tutor or director of studies or whatever.

That's a disgrace.

Also, I can't believe they cap it at 40. In my uni they take 5 marks off for every day late up until 5 days and then you will just get zero.
  • Options
    It would be worth letting whoever know marks it what happened and how close it was, although if it's anything like my dept it won't change anything.
  • Options
    Well, I've just emailed my tutor (who's for Journalism, not English) and he said I can contact the Unit Co-ordinator and explain what's happened, and I may have to fill out an extenuating circumstances form. But he doesn't think I'll get very far with it, as normally those forms are only for illness and death and the like. Pretty stupid if you ask me that computer problems are covered in that. Anyway, he said his instinct would be to let it go.

Ha, let it go?! Is he joking?! I want me bloody marks! And I'll get them, I don't mind who I have to kill.

I'm gonna email the Unit Co-ordinator now.. maybe she'll ask me for a meeting, which would be handy, 'cause then the water works will come on and work a treat!
  • Options
    All the best with it, but don't get your hopes too high.

We just get told that it's our own fault for not leaving ourselves enough leeway.
  • Options
    Thats an absolute bastard. similar thing happened to me handing in my resit coursework last summer. I wrote a letter explaining the situation was beyond my control (the fire alarm went off in the library) and they let me off. Give it a go, good luck :)
  • Options
    Yeh I doubt I'll get anywhere with it to be honest, but it's worth a try at the end of the day.
  • Options
    what a fucking bitch.

Hugs for you
  • Options
    I wouldn't have left before she took my essay, or she ate every fucking page of it.

can't believe it.

I'd make a big fuss, sometimes you just have to have a loud maw to get your approval.

definitely complain.
  • Options
    e-mail the person thats actually marking it and explain the story to them... get 'the bitch' to confirm it's true and you should be fine IMO. Lecturers are human too afterall :)
  • Options
    Aww, thats awful!

I'd probably break down in tears tbh because like you said, I'd want the marks.
  • Options
    Thats complete crap, at my uni they give somewhere around half an hour to an hours grace for essays, as you have to actually hand it in and sign your name off, so there's usually a bit of a queue. They also deduct 3-5 marks for every day it's late which is also not too bad. I'd have decked her to be honest, miserable cow!!
  • Options
    UNLUCKY!

*hug*

You should definately complain to someone. Or find the woman and continuously poke her with a stick until she becomes a mushy pulp. :eek2:
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Make a complaint! Don't let the bitch win! That is seriously harsh! The number of deadlines I've scraped at 5 past the hour and got away with it!
  • Options
    i don't think you would get anywhere admitting you were late because to them, a minute is still over the time. you could say that your watch was a few minutes earlier than their time? though it might be too late now. hope you get it sorted - and yes, that lady deserved a punch! oh and 12 is a bit harsh for a hand-in. we get until 4!
  • Options
    what a complete ho bag. Why oh why are people like that, I mean, what would it have hurt her to wait while you filed in the assignment form? people are so mean!
  • Options
    im not surprised ur pissed off i would have smacked her lol
  • Options
    You should've "accidently" bumped into her making her drop all the papers and then slid yours into the pile ;)
  • Options
    Generally ours will wait if there's someone there filling the form in. That is really harsh. We have till 3.30 in the aft for all deadlines as well and then there's a letter box that we can post things through till it opens day after which will still be stamped with the previous days date.
  • Options
    You'd do well to try to get her to back you up, although she might not want to, cos otherwise i'm sure plenty of other people would "try to use the excuse" of computer problems etc when in reality they'd not used their time wisely, and this would therefore negate the use of this excuse as a proper reason in valid cases.