Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Holidays

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,

I hav been with my current employer since september and have never taken a days holiday. There is one day in May I really need 2 take off but i hav ben told i am not allowed to because htey "cant ask people to do hours there not contracted to do". But they make me do hours im not supposed to do all the time (for example, my contract says sundays only, since i started i have done all but 3 Fridays). Are they allowed to do this or can i force them to let me take it off, after im entiltled to 4 working weeks holidays.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If your entitled to 4 weeks holiday, let them know this. Make sure you let them know what day you want off. Its their problem to find someone to cover you, it shouldn't prevent you from taking some of your holidays.

:thumb:
    Correct me if i'm wrong but as your only sunday, then your holiday will be pro rata anyway. It sounds iffy though, you should have been given some literature with your contract that explains this kinda stuff. If you didn't, speak to your employer and ask for a copy.
    Lacy wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong but as your only sunday, then your holiday will be pro rata anyway. It sounds iffy though, you should have been given some literature with your contract that explains this kinda stuff. If you didn't, speak to your employer and ask for a copy.

Sounds about right to me. So if you're only contracted to work Sundays then you only have to take Sundays as holidays. On a pro rata basis you can have four weeks worth of Sundays off as holiday, or 4 days (Sundays, of course, since this is all you're 'supposed' to work)

If you wanted a Friday off work you wouldn't need to take it as holiday as it isn't a contracted day.
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    If you wanted a Friday off work you wouldn't need to take it as holiday as it isn't a contracted day.

So would someone be able to refuse to work this day and say they're not contracted to work on a Friday or something like that?