Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hitting your head

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I twice fell off my horse today and the first time I hit my head. No immedient aftermath except that at first my head hurt a little where it hit the ground.

Now I'm close to getting a headache (I've never had one before) and my neck is getting stiff. I'm also starting to feel worn out despite not having done much today.

Does anybody know what to be mindful of after hitting your head? I highly doubt that what happened is anything serious but just want to be on the safe side since I'm feeling it. :)

Comments

• Options
    Concussion?
  • Options
    Dizzyness and nausea. A stiff neck could probably be seen by a gp tomorrow morning, but i think you're supposed to get head injuries checked out anyway.
    Im no professional though.
    I was on a fairground ride last yr,(the waltzers) and the car was spun round and my head flung back smacked the back on it, really hard. My neck was sore but i still went on another ride with the kids. I got off and struggled not to throw up. I think them sort of symptoms should definately be checked out but i ignored it and put it down to the fact id just eaten a hotdog! Im still alive but it was dangerous to ignore an injury like that.
  • Options
    Yeah if you get any sickness go straight to A&E, if you have pain in your neck it could be that you jarred it or something when you hit the ground. Just be careful over the next few days and if you feel a bit off then go to your doctor. Another helpful thing is just make sure that your not on your own for the next 24hours just in case,you don't have to do this, but I am a very cautious person and having hit my head before I know that it can be several hours before the full extent of the injury displays itself.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys!

I never got the headache that my head was threatening and I had no problem waking up this morning. However, my neck is very stiff and sore so I've had a great day! ;)

I always have this tendecy to delay seeking medical help but I'm thinking I might pop down to the A&E after school today to have it checked just in case. Bet they'll only tell me to take it easy and charge me 25 quid for it. :p
  • Options
    i came off one of mine last year and didn't remember anything for about 36 hours - apparently i walked around telling people that i couldn't be concused because i could count to ten and remember who the queen was. repeatedly.

i remember coming off (massive buck on landing) then remember my friend trying to take me to hospital instead of school because she'd found me wandering around a churchyard at 8.15am. i bloody hate hospitals so i never did go, and my family is absolutely appalling at that sort of thing so no one made me go either.

moral of long and rambling story: seek medical advice in order to avoid incredibly sore head!!

and remember to buy a new helmet if you fell on your head as well :yes: