Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

the samaritans

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone ever emailed the samaritans? I have and to an extent they help me, but sometimes i feel like i have to be on the verge of commiting suicide to talk to them...
Anyone else feel that way..?

:crazyeyes

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    they'll talk to you about any problem you feel you need to talk about.
    having said that they do HAVE to ask you if you feel suicidal or not.
  • Options
    Why do they HAVE to ask?
    i know it is the main objective but i would have thought that they wouldn't have asked unless i told them so.
  • Options
    Nutter wrote: »
    Why do they HAVE to ask?
    i know it is the main objective but i would have thought that they wouldn't have asked unless i told them so.

because most people who feel that way feel ashamed to talk about it. if they ask, its an easy way to get someone to talk about their suicidal feelings which without the question they might avoid.
    but if you haven't got any suicidal feelings then tell them that.
  • Options
    ah right. okies. thanks.
    I prefer talking to them, I find seeing a counsellor a bit too much, being sat in a small room..talking to a person in real life...writing it down is better in my opinion.
  • Options
    Nutter wrote: »
    ah right. okies. thanks.
    I prefer talking to them, I find seeing a counsellor a bit too much, being sat in a small room..talking to a person in real life...writing it down is better in my opinion.

no probs. guess they are always available too which a counsellor isn't. do whatever is right for you. :)
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    having said that they do HAVE to ask you if you feel suicidal or not.

i dont think they do. they're there 2 listen not 2 give advice, and how do you define feeling suicidal? im pretty sure your just allowed 2 tlk about wot u want btw...

if they help go 4 it x
  • Options
    they do have to ask. Its their policy, even if they dont think you sound/seem suicidal, they have to at least explore whether you feel like that or have felt like that before, to encourage you to be able to say it if that is the case. If you dont feel suicidal, you can just say youre not and it doesnt mean you cant talk about whatever it is thats troubling you.
    Samaritans are there to provide a listening ear to anyone who is feeling despair or distressed - you dont have to be suicidal.
  • Options
    I once emailed them. They do listen, but I guess I was seeking reassurance that my life would turn out for the best, so I didn't take much from it. I used to feel like 'oh, I don't want to waste their time' - but they're there to help aren't they?
  • Options
    Yeah I know what you mean, I sometimes feel like I am bothering them, thinking that my problems are not serious enough, so I tend to just leave it now unless i'm feeling REALLY low. Like now for instance... :grump:
    :(

meh
  • Options
    We work quite a lot with the Samaritans, and I can tell you for certain that they are very focused on expanding their service away from just suicidal feelings. They are the best listening ear service in the country, and are trying to get across that people can contact them with any problem.

So you really don't need to be suicidal to call them, at all, it isn't just what they are there for, and they are more than willing to discuss any situation.
  • Options
    you can call them when youre feeling just a bit down, or you can call them when youre feeling really really down. Thats what they give up their time to do. They want to help you. If talking or emailing them helps, then thats what they want!
  • Options
    cool guys thanks. It's reassuring to know that. :thumb: