Best university for a marketing related course?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey,
I'm a GCSE student and I want to go into marketing so just wondering if there's anyone else on the forums who can give me feedback about how the courses are and which uni's are best for the course.

Just looking for any views and suggestions you guys have about doing a course in marketing.
Any useful feedback appreciated!
Thanks.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Word of advice, marketing is really not as interesting as it first sounds! You may already know this but the bulk of marketing work is research as opposed to just coming up with campaign ideas and implimenting them as i once thought.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    icey wrote: »
    Word of advice, marketing is really not as interesting as it first sounds! You may already know this but the bulk of marketing work is research as opposed to just coming up with campaign ideas and implimenting them as i once thought.


    The above comment of course depends entirely upon what you find interesting :p

    You choosing A level subjects at the mo? I did business studies, which really helped give me a broad understanding of the business environment. So if you feel that you'd like to study marketing perhaps a business a level will be a reasonable starting point?

    I do marketing at uni, and enjoy most of the topics we cover. PM me if you want to know anything specific.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya iNcognito,

    Good that you are looking ahead already- its good to get a head start on looking around :) Where you go to uni will depends on a few other things other than the course- how far away from home do you plan to be? Strathclyde University here in Scotland has a highly respected Business school. I don't know all that much about many English Universities but I've heard that London Business School and Cranfield are well respected.

    I suggest that you have a look at this website where you will find lots of Business/Marketing students who are at uni already and can give more detailed advice. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would also say to anyone going to university that 9/10 its probably better for you to do a course that you enjoy and get a good grade in (and from a good university) and thus get a better job - rather than a more business focused degree from a so so university.

    You would be in much better stead if you had a 2:1 or a first in say history from Kings and then a post graduate marketing diploma than if you and a 2:1 or a 2:2 from ugghh I dunno the university of Aston (no offence to anyone who goes there) in marketing.

    Plus your also limiting yourself at quite an early age to ONLY work in marketing - what happens if after a few years you decide that actually marketing isn't the job for you and you want to move into something else?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't like this question, whats the best university I can go to?

    The choice is going to vary for everybody. Are you wanting to move away, if so do you want to be reasonably close or far? Do you want to study in a specific area, are you looking at 'the times' top 100 guide, are you just looking for the more academic red brick universities?

    The best I can say is look at what elements of marketing really interest you, then look in detail at the courses available. You may find there is a limitation of say 10 universities that offer you what you really want. Then you might choose a more academic place, somewhere closer or even somewhere with a good social reputation.

    I would like to give advice and tell you where your going to have the best education. But its a choice you have to make dependent on what you want, not what I want.

    HTH
    Steve
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    mrbox99 wrote: »
    The best I can say is look at what elements of marketing really interest you, then look in detail at the courses available. You may find there is a limitation of say 10 universities that offer you what you really want. Then you might choose a more academic place, somewhere closer or even somewhere with a good social reputation.

    :yes:
    there are a lot of independent variables which make up what is best for you.
    nothing wrong with gathering information early on and asking advice, but in the end its going to be a personal choice. :)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I would also say to anyone going to university that 9/10 its probably better for you to do a course that you enjoy and get a good grade in (and from a good university) and thus get a better job - rather than a more business focused degree from a so so university.

    You would be in much better stead if you had a 2:1 or a first in say history from Kings and then a post graduate marketing diploma than if you and a 2:1 or a 2:2 from ugghh I dunno the university of Aston (no offence to anyone who goes there) in marketing.

    Plus your also limiting yourself at quite an early age to ONLY work in marketing - what happens if after a few years you decide that actually marketing isn't the job for you and you want to move into something else?

    hehe - I know you meant to quote a middling type uni when you mentioned Aston, but that happens to be one of the best unis for business courses, and has been ranked a top 10 uni in a few of those "top university" league tables recently. It's a pretty respected university by all accounts.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I would also say to anyone going to university that 9/10 its probably better for you to do a course that you enjoy and get a good grade in (and from a good university) and thus get a better job - rather than a more business focused degree from a so so university.

    You would be in much better stead if you had a 2:1 or a first in say history from Kings and then a post graduate marketing diploma than if you and a 2:1 or a 2:2 from ugghh I dunno the university of Aston (no offence to anyone who goes there) in marketing.

    Plus your also limiting yourself at quite an early age to ONLY work in marketing - what happens if after a few years you decide that actually marketing isn't the job for you and you want to move into something else?

    I do agree with what you are saying though. There is no harm in doing a more general course, and then specialising through a post-grad diploma/MA.

    I studied English and Drama at uni, and then did the CIM Marketing diploma's afterwards as a way of getting professional qualifications in the subject. This worked for me because I enjoyed my degree and was good at it and therefore got a 2:1.

    My tutors for the diploma (who are university lecturers, as I take the course at a university) have also hinted that business degrees are very general and do not make a student stand out from the crowd, whereas a more academic subject at a high grade, supported by plenty of work experience adds a lot more weight to a grad CV.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,329 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Wow, thanks for the responses guys!
    I'll check out the student room website, look in a bit more to the matter (the UCAS website is so unhelpful!) and then will get back and post here.

    Thanks again for the replies, really appreciate it! Have read through them but will go through them properly within the next few days :)
Sign In or Register to comment.