Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Woman + woman = baby?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    You're not making any sense.

I'm just saying, in nature there should be an equilibrium. Humans are destroying that.
  • Options
    There's a lot of taboo about it all really though isn't there? It's always been the way with medicine and science, ethics vs. science. But then, is it ethics or just a discomforting feeling? I mean, whats wrong with taking a cell and through a natural process changing it into another cell outside of the body. The only difference is that natural process wouldn't occur inside a woman's body as she doesn't have the necessary equipment.

But still, it's as about as unnatural as putting salt on a slug. (although that kills something, and this doesn't)

Whilst I'm on the fence because it would effectively select the sex of the baby, which is unethical (because babies shouldn't be 'designed' as a fashion accessory, they need to be respected as living beings), this completely respects the creation of life. It's just a taboo in my honest opinion.

I mean, when people saw the first steam engines they cried heresy.

God only knows how they reacted the first time a human being sat on a boat in the middle of water.

On the other side of the argument though, I would say why is there an obsession for everyone to have a baby from their own genes all the time when there are hundreds of children who need a loving home.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I'm just saying, in nature there should be an equilibrium. Humans are destroying that.

Arguing what there "should be" in nature is a fallacious argument. We are fucking up the ecosystem, but that does not mean we are seperate from nature.
  • Options

You're right, but I'm not sure how it applies to this case. I mean we've assimilated the planet to our needs which has upset the balance dramatically,just look at the size of the endangered species list.

I mean, other than the fact that it would produce female only offspring, changing a single stem cell to a single sperm cell can't be that scandalous, surely?

It's merely the idea of a woman bearing a child conceived from two women that causes a problem, and I can't see why. The whole point of sexual reproduction is to take two sets of genes and mix them up; giving rise to dominant traits that make the species better suited to it's environment. The male / female coupling is the most effective way of doing that as you have approx. 50% of one and 50% of the other leading to a large amount of 'pairs' that are matched, rather than giving every creature two sets of sex organs, because it wastes protein and stuff like that. (the sign of good engineering is removing everything that is not needed, less is more etc.)

But biologically, except for the female factor, there is no natural reason why this is wrong......
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    But biologically, except for the female factor, there is no natural reason why this is wrong......

apart from the fact that without human interference it would never happen of its own accord.
  • Options
    Presumably then you're also against any form of "man-made" drugs or medical procedures given to ill people, since their immune system doesn't naturally combat whatever illness they have?
    oh yes, i live drug and operation free...im naturally immune to infections and disease :rolleyes:

I'm not only against this because of the science part...i'm against it because it's not natural. Trying to compare this to procedures where something is removed (or moved)/bleeding is stopped or drugs to make you immune to illness is stupid....this is taking cells and forcing them into their unnatural form. Women make eggs, men make sperm...if they want a kid let them get artificially inseminated with sperm from male sperm donors.
    You're not making any sense. If humans are part of nature, then anything we do is also part of nature.

BTW, how can "science" interfere with anything?

How am i not making sense....natural is a word used to describe things that aren't altered by man, things that happen the way they are meant to...in this case, a woman becomes pregnant when she has intercourse with a man at the right time of the month, when lesbians and gay men have intercourse they dont get pregnant at anytime of the month!
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    I'll just be considered a christian extremist by em then - not that it bothers me, each entitled to their opinion and all that

There's a line between the opportunties science offers and where we should stop messing with the world's natural balance -

Science is a methodlogy and a process. You're reifying it. Scientists can do things, science cannot. However, it is the purpose of science to pursue knowledge.
    we werent created to alter the world to fit our needs to this extreme and its taking our responsiblity too far.

Too far by whose standards?

btw, we weren't created - we evolved.

And the point of that was exactly?

Because I you made me think of yokel peasants with flaming pitchforks. :D
    How far is this gonna go before we end up with designer babies - oh I dont like ginger hair, I'm not going to keep that kid?

there are limits that we should be sticking to, the more control science has there is no saying where the choices are going to stop. We have no right to take life because life is sacred, just as we have no right to mess with nature fiddling birth.

except we weren't placed on earth to dictate how life should be created, we have no right as a race to start messing with human life etc

(but then again its more my moral views here, same why im against IVF etc) and theres enough kids without a loving home or parents which deserve just as much chance of happiness rather than messing with nature creating more selectively bred kids

You sound like a religous nutter tbf.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    oh yes, i live drug and operation free...im naturally immune to infections and disease :rolleyes:

I'm not only against this because of the science part...i'm against it because it's not natural. Trying to compare this to procedures where something is removed (or moved)/bleeding is stopped or drugs to make you immune to illness is stupid....this is taking cells and forcing them into their unnatural form.

How is that any different to injecting something into the human body that it doesn't naturally produce to get rid of a virus that does naturally occur? That's using an "unnatural" method and substance too.
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    How am i not making sense....natural is a word used to describe things that aren't altered by man, things that happen the way they are meant to...in this case, a woman becomes pregnant when she has intercourse with a man at the right time of the month, when lesbians and gay men have intercourse they dont get pregnant at anytime of the month!

You're a fucking loon too.
  • Options
    So what if I'm a Christian, makes no difference to the comments I'm making and insults really isnt what the threads for

It means that your opinion is based on your religious beliefs. Fine, argue that you don't believe it's morally right, but don't argue that it isn't natural.
  • Options
    You sound like a religous nutter tbf.

Nice, dude, seriously, thats real nice. What if atheists agree with her? Does that make me a religious nutter too? :chin:
    theres enough kids without a loving home or parents which deserve just as much chance of happiness rather than messing with nature creating more selectively bred kids

:yes: my thoughts exactly. I know people want their own biological kids, but the fact remains that some can't, whether this is due to their sexuality or infertility, which they need to grieve over same as if they'd lost a child. Then if they still want a child bad enough, perhaps they should consider adoption.

I agree that same-sex couples should be allowed to have kids, but I hate the idea of test-tube babies. I'd hate to have been conceived in a science lab :no:

Humans have spent a helluva long time trying to get away from nature & now we're succeeding, even apparently in conceiving kids. If nothing else in our lives is natural, at least make our conception natural.
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    apart from the fact that without human interference it would never happen of its own accord.

Things that have only happened because of human "interference" are "wrong"? If so then that's a big, long list of wrong right there.

Anyway, as Blagsta and IWS and others have said, science itself cannot interfere in anything. Scientists can, but they are part of "nature" are they not? Their discoveries are all part of evolution and you don't get a lot more natural than that in my view.

I don't see a problem. It's a tad Jurassic Park, maybe, but if something can be done to help a committed and loving couple comprising two females to have a biological child of their own then I am all for that. Who is it going to hurt? Not men. The majority of women will still choose to conceive their children with a man, no one is going to be forced to have a same-sex daughter. It's not going to hurt the child. If a child is born through this method then it will only because it has become a recognised way. It will cause a few headaches in a few narrow minds but I'm sure scientists will work on the cure for that affliction next :thumb:

The obvious argument to this is 'why don't those unable to naturally conceive just adopt?' but no one would spout that line to a couple trying to conceive through IVF or similar. Surely if one way is unnatural then so is the other, decades ago when IVF wasn't around then they would've got the "hard luck" line that a same sex couple gets now. Both are equally unable to conceive a natural child, both for biological reasons which - while different - essentially have the same end result: no children. I don't see a difference, those who want children should be helped however possible. For some people there is an overwhelming desire to have and hold a child of their own flesh, blood and... genes if we're getting down to the scientific nitty gritty. I can understand that, myself. Why should women have to throw themselves at the mercy - and rely on the co-operation at every turn - of 'benevolent sperm donor #7' if there can be another way? I see no reason, myself.

This will be opposed at every turn, anyhow, so even if they did at some hazy-point-in-middle-distance-future decide to go for and popularise all-female conception then I can barely imagine it would happen. I mean, I hear the trumpeting villifiers of feminism everywhere tuning up already. Won't somebody think of the men? ;)
  • Options
    There are certain scientific advancements where I can see a social reason for allowing. For example, the ability to choose the sex of the baby might sound good, but might not work out too well if one sex turned out to be a lot more popular than another. But this isn't one of these instances. I see no social reason why same sex couples shouldn't be allowed to do this.
  • Options
    I don't really see how criticism of such a thing can be seen as anti-feminist. It's got nothing to do with feminism.

It's the making sperm out of bone marrow that makes me queezy.
  • Options
    Ye of course, but religously or not, taking gametes from a body, messing about and changing them into something theyre not and placing them back in the body certainly wouldnt happen normally without human assistance or interferance. So I dont think anyone could argue that it is natural - you don't see many morphing gametes in the wild

Anything that uses scientific method is natural. Nuclear energy is natural, electricity is natural, medicine is natural, it's just that they have an understanding of how to harness nature. In order for it not to be natural, we'd have to get a witchdoctor in, and I don't see many of them around. In my experience, people only accuse something of being "unnatural" when nature is being harnessed in a way that they disagree with for some reason. It's not unnatural at all, but it might be undesirable - personally though, I don't see why.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    The obvious argument to this is 'why don't those unable to naturally conceive just adopt?' but no one would spout that line to a couple trying to conceive through IVF or similar. Surely if one way is unnatural then so is the other, decades ago when IVF wasn't around then they would've got the "hard luck" line that a same sex couple gets now. Both are equally unable to conceive a natural child, both for biological reasons which - while different - essentially have the same end result: no children. I don't see a difference, those who want children should be helped however possible. For some people there is an overwhelming desire to have and hold a child of their own flesh, blood and... genes if we're getting down to the scientific nitty gritty. I can understand that, myself. Why should women have to throw themselves at the mercy - and rely on the co-operation at every turn - of 'benevolent sperm donor #7' if there can be another way? I see no reason, myself.

I agree that this is basically the same as IVF & I do agree that some people really really want their own biological child, but I still struggle with agreeing to IVF & this procedure, simply because I believe that conception should be natural. Might change my mind if I turn out to be infertile though :lol:

I think what I'm trying to say here is I believe conception should be natural, but I guess its good that IVF etc are there to help in cases where natural conception can't happen. But I think too many people turn to IVF etc first, rather than adoption, & see adopting as 2nd best, which is sad.
  • Options
    I don't really see how criticism of such a thing can be seen as anti-feminist. It's got nothing to do with feminism.

It makes you queasy? I think it's fascinating! Lots of scientific advances have come out of far more dubious and unpleasant-seeming techniques and practices.

It's not anti-feminism to oppose this, but it will seen as a feminist agenda being pushed without a shadow of a doubt. It's definitely not strictly a feminist issue but it hasn't got "nothing" to do with feminism. It's an issue affecting women, it's in the interests of women and affording them biological equality. It's got serious roots in many feminist causes. If you're saying it won't be lambasted by a certain type of person/media outlet as being at the behest of a crazed, man-hating, lesbian feminist agenda then I think that's not true. But that's just my view.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    It makes you queasy? I think it's fascinating! Lots of scientific advances have come out of far more dubious and unpleasant-seeming techniques and practices.

It's not anti-feminism to oppose this, but it will seen as a feminist agenda being pushed without a shadow of a doubt. It's definitely not strictly a feminist issue but it hasn't got "nothing" to do with feminism. It's an issue affecting women, it's in the interests of women and affording them biological equality. It's got serious roots in many feminist causes. If you're saying it won't be lambasted by a certain type of person/media outlet as being at the behest of a crazed, man-hating, lesbian feminist agenda then I think that's not true. But that's just my view.

The biology/science behind it has nothing to do with feminism, that's what I'm talking about.

Of course the social rammifications of such a procedure have potential feminist issues.
  • Options
    Pringle wrote: »
    I think what I'm trying to say here is I believe conception should be natural, but I guess its good that IVF etc are there to help in cases where natural conception can't happen. But I think too many people turn to IVF etc first, rather than adoption, & see adopting as 2nd best, which is sad.

I see what you mean, adoption is good and rightly promoted, a fantastic alternative for those who can't conceive children of their own naturally. But as I said before, it's so easy for those of us in heterosexual, fertile relationships to say to those in other sets of circumstances that they should put aside their pipe dreams of a baby of their own flesh and blood and move on to adoption. Put yourself in the shoes of a woman in a hetero relationship but unable to conceive naturally, or a woman in a same-sex relationship who yearned to have her own child. Who is anyone to tell her that she should suck it up and adopt, that adopting is as good as having your own child... if she doesn't see it like that?

If we're going to get into adoption then there are myriad other issues. If heterosexual couples were a bit more discerning and precious about their "natural" "god-given" abilities to procreate then we wouldn't have all these children (speaking only domestically, of children given up for adoption in the UK) needing to be adopted. It's not fair that when a heterosexual couple decides to give a child up for adoption we are assuming it automatically falls on a same-sex or infertile couple to clean up the mess. There is nothing right about that situation. Lots of gay and infertile couples do adopt, but they shouldn't be made to feel bad about wanting to have their own children when every other bugger is doing it... when it is a natural instinct for many (most?) to want children - even if the process that allows it isn't seen by all as being "natural" in itself.
  • Options
    The biology/science behind it has nothing to do with feminism, that's what I'm talking about.

Of course the social rammifications of such a procedure have potential feminist issues.

Right :thumb: That's all I meant by it, it was just a sideline to what I really wanted to say, anyway.

Science is definitely strange and gruesome and fascinating all at once, I guess I don't think or worry too much about the slightly strange sounding methods... if the outcome is something I'd like to see happen.
  • Options
    I always find these debates interesting, particularly with the assumption that natural = good, unnatural = bad.

We mess around with the reproductive system in so many ways e.g. contraception, abortion, ultrasound scans, embryo screening, foetal monitoring, IVF, c-sections, yet conception suddenly becomes a problem especially when that conception involves same-sex couples.

Would people have the same attitude if sperm could be created from a man's bone marrow if he was sub-fertile or infertile?
  • Options
    I'm anti-IVF as well, that's still messing with the natural balance, and I'm sure many others are, I don't see why children should be brought up in orphanages when there are so many infertile couples etc who want kids and would make excellent parents couldnt addopt one of those rather than "playing God" with nature. Scientists are taking their powers to the extreme with fertility now, there should certainly be a line between pleasing couples and designing and changing how conception begins

Okay I see your point. So who decides where this imaginary "line" is? You, with your [assumed] natural fertility and ability to continue your lineage?

I'm saddened that anyone is anti-IVF, but I don't doubt that many people are. I don't see it as playing God since I don't believe in God, so that's a non-issue for me. They're playing "mad scientist" if they're playing any over-egged role.

I've already stated my point on the [in my opinion, reprehensible] attitude that adopting children should be the role in familial society of those unable to conceive without help. While adoption is a perfectly apt substitute for many, many people... some people's desire to have their own biological children is overwhelming, strong and true. If it can be done, let it be done - is my take on it.
  • Options
    :heart: you briggi. I find it quite insulting that adoption is always passed off as a panacea and some sort of moral obligation to those who can't naturally conceive.
  • Options

The same thing happens in men though. All this is doing is exposing womens cells to the chemical that is naturally produced in a man's body. In an environment where the sperm can survive (one of those purple petri dishes).

Briggi, congrats btw :) but what are your thoughts on the fact that this process will produce female only offspring?
    I mean, I hear the trumpeting villifiers of feminism everywhere tuning up already. Won't somebody think of the men? ;)

I suspect maybe this might be reactionary... and the 'somebody think of the men' comment I'm not sure why it's appropriate. :) I mean this thread isn't about men vs. women, that was the other thread :p

Though I would say I can see on both sides of the fence there will be feminists who will argue for this as a woman's right (or those who argue women shouldn't have this right), and then it becomes a political rather than ethical issue. Which is what we should try to avoid.

But it is largely accepted that gender selection is unethical because there is an improper respect for the new life being created. :chin:
  • Options
    :no:
    :yes: I am anti- abortion, embryo screening and IVF
    :confused: to contraception - because although its stopping even more unwanted children coming into the world it's still preventing the life of a child being made which is natural (God's gift should be sacred etc)
    :no: I'm fine with ultrasounds (theyre not changing anything), foetal monitoring (unless it causes the child to be aborted because they dont want a child whos disabled or something then im against it), C-sections (its not changing genetic makeup and saves lives)
    When you say you are against these things, do you mean that you personally wouldn't choose to have/do them, or do you mean that nobody should be allowed to? Because the former is fair enough, but surely the latter would be you attempting to enforce your religious beliefs on others?
  • Options
    If God is the master of our destinies and this thing happens, then God obviously intended it to happen.
  • Options
    :confused: to contraception - because although its stopping even more unwanted children coming into the world it's still preventing the life of a child being made which is natural (God's gift should be sacred etc)

Well, I don't believe in God so that doesn't really apply to me. What about charting cycles and avoiding intercourse around 'fertile days'? Doesn't that also interfere with nature (monitoring one's temperature) and then using that technology that would prevent something otherwise natural from happening?
    foetal monitoring (unless it causes the child to be aborted because they dont want a child whos disabled or something then im against it

Sorry, I didn't explain enough. I meant electrode monitoring during childbirth where an electrode is placed into the foetal scalp. Very unnatural and can interfere with the process.
    C-sections (its not changing genetic makeup and saves lives)

But it still goes against nature. It's unnatural to stick a needle into a woman's spine and anaesthetise her. It's unnatural to use a scalpel to cut into layers of tissue, through the uterus, and pulling the foetus out into the unnatural environment of a theatre where it's nose will be unnaturally suctioned and placed under an unnatural warmer to be checked over by a paediatrician.

If an event, which is totally natural like meconium aspiration, or cord prolapse occurs, then shouldn't nature just take it's course and result in a stillbirth rather than interfering with science and playing God?

;)
    I'm completely against the whole idea of messing with nature fullstop. We have no right to play god and interfer with nature as human beings, all life is sacred and should be highly regarded

But then if you're against messing with nature, shouldn't you as an individual be striving to aim for a more natural kind of living (and perhaps not use your computer? :p )

If you say we have no right to interfere with what nature intended, then it goes beyond the sphere of reproduction, and you'd better start enjoying a life free of any kind of medical intervention, or technological input.
  • Options
    Personally, I wouldnt ever force my opinion on others and I wouldnt look down on someone or treat them differently if they did for example have an abortion because at the end of the day it's their life and theyve got to live it how they see fit. I'll always give both sides of the arguement and let people make their own decisions from that.

Okay. It's just hard to tell sometimes when someone is arguing against something, whether they just don't agree with it, or they believe that it shouldn't be allowed, which is quite different. Like for example, I don't do drugs, but I still support them being legal because I think everyone should have the choice.
  • Options
    What about the argument that God gave us brilliant minds to learn how to treat things to improve people's lives like this? :p
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Briggi, congrats btw :) but what are your thoughts on the fact that this process will produce female only offspring?

What do you mean by 'what are my thoughts'? Do you mean does that change how I feel about how natural it is? I think it's a disadvantage that it will only produce baby girls but if that is all that can be done then so be it.
    I suspect maybe this might be reactionary... and the 'somebody think of the men' comment I'm not sure why it's appropriate. :) I mean this thread isn't about men vs. women, that was the other thread :p

I don't even want to get into a feminist discussion as my heart's not in it at the moment and that ain't right ;) But you must take heed that feminism isn't about men vs. women anyway, there are just as many women who pour hatred and scorn on feminists out of central casting with imagined hairy-armpits and anti-male agendas. That's by the by. From the very tiny bit of research I did into views on this [by the way of a very high-tech google search] it is being viewed very much as a feminist issue and as an attack on men. I'm not saying that is the view of academia and science and the broad-mind, but average Joe on the street or roaming the internet is already getting carried away with ideas of women wanting to recreate Amazonia and do away with all menfolk. The last comment was supposed to be tongue in cheek... a joke... obviously this isn't the right audience :razz:
    Though I would say I can see on both sides of the fence there will be feminists who will argue for this as a woman's right (or those who argue women shouldn't have this right), and then it becomes a political rather than ethical issue. Which is what we should try to avoid.

Everything is a political issue. Not the way it should be perhaps, but that's the way it is, it can't be avoided. A foundation stone of feminist thought being "the personal is political", that says it all.

On a different note, the idea that "if things are meant to happen, they will" probably inspires infinite hope and assurance in many people. I'm sure it is a lifeline to many of the religious people among us. It leaves me cold, personally.

"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things."

As for the Catholic Church, if we refrained from everything that bastion of righteousness told us was morally wrong then I dread to think what society would be like. The strangely motivated and sinister mutant that is Catholic Church hasn't got an ethical leg to stand on, anyway :)