Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going Vegan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm transitioning to veganism... Any advice? Any vegans here? Any ingredients to look out for?

Ta

Comments

  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm no veggie or vegan in the slightest but (sorry if this is obvious) I'd build up a spice and herb rack with many different flavours as I can imagine a lot of your food will be quite bland.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    A bit obvious, but have you had a look a the Vegan Society website? There are links to lots of resources and ideas too... and their book 'Animal Free Shopper' is only a fiver but really comprehensive.

    Mainly, it is a bit of work at the beginning to work out whether you are gitting all the nutrients you need, but once you establish good habits you should be alright.

    Personally, I like tempeh.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I'm no veggie or vegan in the slightest but (sorry if this is obvious) I'd build up a spice and herb rack with many different flavours as I can imagine a lot of your food will be quite bland.

    Got me plenty of spices. :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    LadyJade wrote: »
    A bit obvious, but have you had a look a the Vegan Society website? There are links to lots of resources and ideas too... and their book 'Animal Free Shopper' is only a fiver but really comprehensive.

    Mainly, it is a bit of work at the beginning to work out whether you are gitting all the nutrients you need, but once you establish good habits you should be alright.

    Personally, I like tempeh.

    Yeah, looked through the Vegan Society site, it's really good (though the veg soc one is better imo).

    Guess I'll just have to go and learn.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not a vegan but I love this website! She's got loads of great ideas. I'm guessing you won't be eating out as much being vegan because it might get quite difficult so lunchbox ideas might be quite useful

    http://veganlunchbox.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is it true that there is one nutrient that the body needs that only comes from animal sources that vegans have to take in a pill, or did i just make that up?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Your body has difficulty absorbing vitamins and minerals in certain forms, mostly due to what they are soluble in (and therefore absorbable in) - fats water etc. Some of the B vitamins are like this, especially B12 I think. So it is more difficult, but not impossible.

    You can do things like food combining, like eating iron rich foods with vitamin C rich foods to help the iron absorb. Iron is more fat soluble, so more easily ablsobed when eating the animal variety.

    That?s why vegans and veggies have to be more conscious of what they eat if they want to have a balanced diet.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    I'm transitioning to veganism... Any advice? Any vegans here? Any ingredients to look out for?

    used to be. an excellent book is 'vegan cooking for one' by leneman.
    you have to like cooking a lot to be a healthy vegan! :)
  • Options
    KimonoKimono Posts: 201 Trailblazer
    Hobnobs are vegan :)
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kimono wrote: »
    Hobnobs are vegan :)

    Haha yeah, I have found some vegan ginger biscuits which are low fat too!

    I am going to the Health Food shop today to ask if I need any supplements so I don't die or anything.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    otter wrote: »
    used to be. an excellent book is 'vegan cooking for one' by leneman.
    you have to like cooking a lot to be a healthy vegan! :)

    I LOVE cooking (my flatmates love me cooking too lol)... It's one of my hobbies, but yeah, I'll check the book.

    I've ordered a couple from Amazon too, just so I know what I'm putting in to myself.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Good look going vegan, I've been looking into transitioning to the raw food diet myself. Its a very drastic diet change, but I'm kinda extra like that :D
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    beans on toast for the amino acids!
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I ate vegsn cream cheese the other day. It was very yummy.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    rice milk is better than soya milk, apparently oat milk is good too and heat stable so it can be used in cooking too. Im going dairy free for a week to see if it stops Felix being so windy.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    bonbons wrote: »
    Good look going vegan, I've been looking into transitioning to the raw food diet myself. Its a very drastic diet change, but I'm kinda extra like that :D

    Wow... That's pretty hard core, nice one. :)

    You'll have to tell us all how it goes.
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    rice milk is better than soya milk, apparently oat milk is good too and heat stable so it can be used in cooking too. Im going dairy free for a week to see if it stops Felix being so windy.

    Ohh how is it going?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    rice milk tastes much nicer too, especially on cereal :yum:

    I was a vegan, only for a year though.. I guess I'm weak..
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Namaste wrote: »
    Ohh how is it going?

    didnt make the blindest bit of difference tbh. :(
Sign In or Register to comment.