Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Delaying my period

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi everyone,

I'm not on the pill at the moment, but a friend (w/benefits) and I have a dirty weekend planned for the end of the month. However, my period's due that weekend, and I don't want it to ruin our plans.

I know youre supposed to start taking the pill on the first day of your period, but will it do anything significantly bad to my body if I were to start taking it a week before I was due, so as to delay my period (and increase safe sex) until after that weekend?

Comments

• Options
    I don't think it does anything bad, but just consider that you need to take the pill for 7 days for it to work if you don't take it on the first day of your period. We're you thinking about going on the pill before? There's also northisterone which you have to take 3x a day to delay a period as an alternative, which you can get from the GP.
  • Options
    I've been on and off the pill for a few years now. It tend to make my periods heavier and hurt more, so I don't take it unless I'm in a steady relationship. I've got a 3 month batch leftover from when I came off the pill the last time, I was just going to use that.
  • Options
    extremely alter your diet
  • Options
    It shouldn't make any difference starting on a different day of the month. When I was first put on the pill the doc told me to just start taking them there and then and not to worry about waiting since I'd only just finished a period.
  • Options
    Change the weekend?
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    If you go to the docs they can give you tablets to specifically delay it until you stop taking them (or different ones to just lighten the flow) which is probably gonna be a better bet for your body than starting the pill purely on that reason. Think it was done for teens who are going on holiday and not wanting the agro - can't find the two drug names as the page has gone but this might be of use

Drug-Norethisterone(as prev mentioned)
    Brand-Utovlan