Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

It's Official: Diets don't work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
But we all knew that already? ;)

Source

"Dieting is unlikely to lead to long-term weight loss and may put a person's health at risk, a study says.

US researchers found people typically lose between 5% and 10% of their weight during the first six months of a diet.

But the review of 31 previous studies, by the University of California, said up to two-thirds put more weight on than they had lost within five years."

Comments

• Options
    go_away wrote: »

"Dieting is unlikely to lead to long-term weight loss and may put a person's health at risk, a study says.

Wahay! :D

Though to be fair... (as bad as this is going to make me sound) I've been going the gym regularly recently. And I've ate ridiculous amounts of rubbish at the same time (a habit which is going to stop SOON I can practically hear the fat clogging my arteries). But I've still noticeably lost weight. Exercise is truly the best way :)
  • Options
    But we all knew that already? ;)

Source

US researchers found people typically lose between 5% and 10% of their weight during the first six months of a diet.

But the review of 31 previous studies, by the University of California, said up to two-thirds put more weight on than they had lost within five years."

Aye - no substitute for getting off your fat arse and doing some exercise :D
  • Options
    Good on ya for getting to the gym Nikki*, not always the easiest thing to do. I think if you get your diet sorted, you'll notice even more of a difference as what you eat is even more important when you're gymming.
    Aye - no substitute for getting off your fat arse and doing some exercise

Saw the ad for the 'lateral thigh trainer' this morning. Sent shivers up my spine.
  • Options
    Saw the ad for the 'lateral thigh trainer' this morning. Sent shivers up my spine.

:lol:
  • Options
    Remove Diet from your vocabularies :)
  • Options
    i thought it was common knowledge!
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    i thought it was common knowledge!

Sadly not. A relative of mine has tried every 'diet' in the book. From the disgusting cabbage soup one, to Atkins. Sure she lost weight, then the fat came back with extra luggage. If you ask her about exercise, she won't do it, as she doesn't want to make the effort.

Deep down I think a lot of people know diets are just fads. But some want quick-fix results with minimal effort, and would rather believe the claptrap from adverts and magic gizmos, as it's 'easier' to do that in the short term rather than make life-long lifestyle changes and getting into the gym.
  • Options
    Exercise and watching what you eat (i.e. lifestyle change) is the only real and safe way of losing weight.
  • Options
    Unless you're a kung fu monk, they can meditate fat away.
  • Options
    well, the gym is expensive, it is if you're me anyway. no excuse to not exercise though. I was doing some speed work in some woodlands yesterday. nowt like the great outdoors init.
  • Options
    If only gyms were cheaper :crying:
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    If only gyms were cheaper :crying:

If you're outside London, gyms are usually quite reasonable. £25-35/month which if you use it 3 times a week works out to be very little. Compare it to what you may spend in a pub in an hour...??

If you start looking at David Lloyd and Virgin Active etc, the prices start to go a bit silly though...