Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

exams and needing a certificate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have my exams coming up which I'm really stressing about. They're being held in an unfamiliar place in a big hall crammed with people. The fact that it's going to be in a hall (tall ceiling) and cramped plus the added stress over it being an exam is going to be shite for me so I told my tutor and asked if I could do it in a room.

She said she'll have a word with some guy who is in charge of exams and everything and came back to tell me that I need a medical certificate before they can let me take my exam in a different room. It kinda bugged me because...Why would I even lie about this?? It makes no sense.

Anyway my question is. I don't think I've been diagnosed or anything..I've seen a psychiatrist type person about it so am assuming it would be on my medical records...How easy is it to obtain a certificate? I'm hoping I could just give the receptionist a ring rather than trodge down there and make an appointment.

Comments

• Options
    Hey Rach

I have the same problem. I proper freaked out last year, ended up having a panic attack and ended up running out of the room crying like a freak :o

Anyways, my doctor knew about my anxiety problems for about a year before this happened and knew I suffered from panic attacks. When I asked to be placed in a separate room, I got my doctor to write me a letter and that was sufficient.

I'd get your psychiatrist to write a letter tbh :thumb:

Hope you get it sorted because I really do know how horrible it can be :heart:
  • Options
    Out of interest, why would being in a hall with a tall ceiling freak you out?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    Out of interest, why would being in a hall with a tall ceiling freak you out?

It sounds really naff but I'm extremely scared heights and it makes me feel like I'm gonna float up or something stupid.

edit: Thanks Stacey. Think I'm gonna have to get hold of my doctor because I havent seen the psychiatrist for years. I'm just wondering if its a thing I can phone in for rather than go and make an appointment and blah.
  • Options
    If it's on your records, I don't see why you won't be able to get a letter for it. I was talking to my tutor and mentioned something how to ask for extra time for exams and she said that a letter on it's own should be fine. I did this and am hoping that I actually get the extra time I need.
  • Options
    It sounds like getting a letter shouldn't be too much of a problem, but you'll probably have to go in and see the doctor, explain the situation and what you want the letter to ask for/recommend.

It's worth asking the receptionist whether you can do it over the phone but chances are you'll need to talk to the doctor, mainly so they are clear on what you want.