Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Hindu Wedding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
This summer I've been invited to this Hindu do. A couple I know are getting married; she's Christian and they're having a disco thing for that part of the wedding, but the week before is the Hindu party type thing for the groom, and I haven't a clue what to wear. Aparently white is the colour they wear for funerals and the bride wears red and gold; so those colours are out. But seriously, I have no idea what to wear... Any ideas?

And ideas for the disco thing would be good too actually cos I've not been to a wedding reception since I was a kid. :lol:

Help!

P.S. No expensive ideas please... I don't want to waste loads of money on two outfits that I'm only ever going to wear once. :yeees:

Comments

• Options
    Hiya, I found this:

Q: I've been invited to a Hindu wedding. What should I wear?
    A: Wear what you would wear to a non-Indian wedding. The only clothing taboo to be aware of is that you must take your shoes off to enter a temple or the wedding canopy, so be prepared to leave them at the door. Do try to make some allowances for comfort -- it's not uncommon for seating to be on the ground, so a tight suit or dress that doesn't let you sit cross-legged might not be the best choice.

Of course, if you're the adventurous type and want to wear traditional Indian clothes, go for it! Very likely there'll be a friend or cousin your size who'd be delighted to loan you some clothes and show you how to wear them. Women guests may even get the chance for an application of henna or mehndi if they're around the day before the wedding. But don't rely on the bride or groom to help you themselves -- they'll be way too busy on the day of the event.
  • Options
    ooooooooooooooooo i love indian couture :heart:, one idea you could consider is getting one of those sari's that are a cropped embroidered top and full embroidered skirt with a shawl which may be embroidered or plain....and go for ORANGE!!!! (or another vibrant colour)
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Still not sure what I'd wear to a normal wedding do, so I'll have to have a brain wave about that I supose... I'm sure I'll come up with something. More where to buy it really. Maybe Debenhams will have a sale or something I could find something in. :confused:

It's gunna be an amazing experience though... Sort of aprehensive and looking forward to it at the same time. Am a bit worried cos the brides mother seems determind to set me up with a nice young man. :lol: Could be interesting... aparently you can't avoid getting complelty pissed at these things.
  • Options
    It will go on for a looong time, You'll think it's nearly finished, but it won't be, not even close, 5 more hours plz.
  • Options
    Oh gosh, lucky you! It will be something -really- special. You might be worn out afterwards, but its a really great experience. Gosh, you're so fortunate. :] I wish I was you, seriously! Hope it goes well and everything ^^ Enjoy yourself xx
  • Options
    OK... My sister has a friend who can lend us some Sari's...

Will it matter that this girl is Sikh not Hindu... I mean the Sari's aren't going to be different or wrong or something? :confused:
  • Options
    The Sari's will be fine for either religion (if it were a muslim wedding i'd reccomend a punjabi suit though)- but you will need to probably get your sisters friend to put it on you - as they are a bit of a palava to do and not as easy at you would at first imagine.

I think that if you made an effort to wear indian dress it would really be appreciated and i'm sure you will have lots of fun - because lets face it there aren't going to be many other occasions where you can dress up in a sari.

However I really wouldn't count on getting drunk my friend went to an indian wedding recently where there was alcohol and it was only offered to the men. The women had a choice of tea or water. (I also think you will find that even if you are offered a drink most of the women won't be drinking and it might be slightly offensive if you get totally plastered whilst the rest of the female contingent remains staunchly sober and it will look at little disrespectful - i'm sure just all the new experiences of the day will make you a little light headed)
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    The Sari's will be fine for either religion (if it were a muslim wedding i'd reccomend a punjabi suit though)- but you will need to probably get your sisters friend to put it on you - as they are a bit of a palava to do and not as easy at you would at first imagine.

I think that if you made an effort to wear indian dress it would really be appreciated and i'm sure you will have lots of fun - because lets face it there aren't going to be many other occasions where you can dress up in a sari.

However I really wouldn't count on getting drunk my friend went to an indian wedding recently where there was alcohol and it was only offered to the men. The women had a choice of tea or water. (I also think you will find that even if you are offered a drink most of the women won't be drinking and it might be slightly offensive if you get totally plastered whilst the rest of the female contingent remains staunchly sober and it will look at little disrespectful - i'm sure just all the new experiences of the day will make you a little light headed)

Thanks. :)

I won't count on getting drunk either. ;) To be honest I'm not a great drinker anyway... would be a blessed relief if I wasn't force-fed alcohol. :lol:
  • Options
    The blokes were apparently each given a bottle of whisky and the ladies a cup of tea!
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    The blokes were apparently each given a bottle of whisky and the ladies a cup of tea!

That's no good... I stopped drinking tea in January. :lol: