Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Going Paperless

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've having a massive clear out at home and most of the space and junk is paper, i.e. Bills, Bank Statements, most of it coming through the mail.

Putting everything I can into the recycling bin but - half of it I didn't want in the first place.

Now we got all this email and loads of storage online I'm thinking how much easier it would be to have all my stuff in electronic format.

But anyone had unforeseen problems going all electronic?

Comments

• Options
    Well the obvious problem with storing everything on a computer is the risk of hacking. But then I would imagine the chance of some cheeky bugger going through your rubbish to find old bills etc and stealing your identity that way is probably higher.
  • Options
    Computer breaks and you need some data to hand for some reason? Security issues? I assume you'd back it up, otherwise your hard drive breaking costs about a grand to get the data recovered so I hear. I can't see the benefit really.

Incidentally, am I the only person who doesn't keep every bank statement? I've started doing it, but I figured there's no point when you can just go into the bank and look at it if you ask them anyway.
  • Options
    Computer breaks and you need some data to hand for some reason? Security issues? I assume you'd back it up, otherwise your hard drive breaking costs about a grand to get the data recovered so I hear. I can't see the benefit really.

Incidentally, am I the only person who doesn't keep every bank statement? I've started doing it, but I figured there's no point when you can just go into the bank and look at it if you ask them anyway.

Well I use Gmail - and Portable Thunderbird - use thunderbird to download a local copy to my Hard Drive but leave a copy on Gmail as well .. so I think that's pretty good, having a local and off site copy.

Worst problem is if Google mistakes it for SPAM and you don't notice it's in the SPAM folder , I ordered some supplements online last week and was waiting hours for the confirmation email and then thought wonder if it went to SPAM and it did.
  • Options
    We dont have any bills through the post anymore, everything is managed online.

The only time the postman comes to me is when he's laden down with eBay goodies :o
  • Options
    Make sure you shred all those bills/statements though dude...
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    Well the obvious problem with storing everything on a computer is the risk of hacking. But then I would imagine the chance of some cheeky bugger going through your rubbish to find old bills etc and stealing your identity that way is probably higher.

Which is why you put the stuff with personal details on in a separate bin/bag then at a later date use a paper shredder to 'get rid of' any personal details.
    Incidentally, am I the only person who doesn't keep every bank statement?

I don't do that either. Actually, because I use internet baking, the only time I've received a statement is because I've needed it for something.
  • Options
    Computer records can be altered, always pays to have a paper backup, especially when it's to do with money.
  • Options
    Make sure you shred all those bills/statements though dude...

We don't have a shredder - but always rip apart things like those preapproved credit card application forms that come in the post - worst ones are the credit card cheques they keep sending
  • Options
    Just for your information there are some paper things you SHOULD keep at least for some period of time :
    • Utility Bills - two years (six if self employed)
    • Bank Statements - two years (six if self employed)
    • Insurance - policy documents and revisions of policies for as long as the policies are valid. Renewal certificates - two years (six if self-employed)
    Personally most stuff I need/use is now paperless, BUT I do keep two years worth of utility bills, six years of bank statements along with all the tax paperwork as the Inland Revenue can go back up to six years to query stuff. Recently we had our "Tax Payment Calculation" for 2002-03 which is 5 years ago and they're only just dealing with it. Each May 1st I go through our paperwork and get rid of anything we no longer need to keep, except for tax related stuff. :thumb:

Anything with your address or any sort of personal information (like receipts even if they're PIN verified) should be shredded!
  • Options
    does it really matter if someone gets all your persoanl info though, and why?
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    does it really matter if someone gets all your persoanl info though, and why?

You mean apart from ID theft? Access to your bank accounts?
  • Options
    no, I meam, what the fuck is ID theft. and how coiuld someone get access to my bank accounts from the stuff on my letters/receipts/statements?
  • Options
    Put all those things together and you have enough to get loans etc, you will probably have enough to be able to get someone's bank details even if they aren;t quite stupid enough to put their bank statements in the bin.

ID theft is exactly what it says on the tin. Theft of your identity. Using your name to obtain things by deception - can even include getting a passport in your name.
  • Options
    I was never too worried about ID theft until a couple of weeks ago when it happened to two of my customers. I'm not allowed to say what happened but I'm never putting a bank statement in the bin again. It's shocking what can happen.