Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Louis Theroux - The Most Hated Family In America

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I will it looks really good.

Ah thank god for americans, who else would we have to laugh at :D
  • Options
    Bet your arse. If only to have something to shout at the TV for..
  • Options
    Bet your arse. If only to have something to shout at the TV for..
    Aye hehe.
  • Options
    It'll definitely be one of those "shout at the TV" programmes.
  • Options
    Just from reading the link; those kids have no chance in life with fucking stupid parents like those.

They give decent americans a bad name :thumb:
  • Options
    It was certainly very interesting although I was dissappointed that there wasn't more on the history of the church and its founder which would have reveled a lot more as Wikipedia and the links on my LJ point to. How many laws broken??
  • Options
    Bloody weird. Entertaining but left more questions than it answered. One of them is training to be a nurse, which doesn't seem to fit with their beliefs (especially as she seemed quiet happy for Louis to go to hell), but she seemed a pleasant (albeit a bit giggly) type of girl and if she wasn't spouting about everyone go to hell would have been the type of girl who I think my Mum would have been quite happy for me to have taken home...

I've also heard previously that the Pastor when a lawyer was one of the most active in the civil rights movement and actually won an award from the NAACP :confused:

It could have done with being a little longer and digging a little deeper...
  • Options
    It could have done with being a little longer and digging a little deeper...

:yes: I agree.

Would like to have known more. I thought it was interesting, even though I thought the subjects were as nutty as a fruit cake. I felt really sorry for those little kids on the road side protest. They were so young they didnt even know what they were protesting about.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I've got it on record :D

I'll watch it tomorrow, i love freakish docus like this.
  • Options
    Flatmate was telling me about it just then, only in America eh?
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I missed it :(
    "Thank God for 9/11".

:lol: That made me chuckle though.

What a bunch of fuckups. Why ain't they in an Assylum... oh wait, we don't have them anymore. Stupid idea. Assylums were good. They could have sent them to the infamous Essex County.
  • Options
    Ohh I really wanted to watch this but I totally forgot it was on. Think it'll be repeated anytime soon?
  • Options
    Teh_Gerbil wrote: »
    I missed it :(

:lol: That made me chuckle though.

What a bunch of fuckups. Why ain't they in an Assylum... oh wait, we don't have them anymore. Stupid idea. Assylums were good. They could have sent them to the infamous Essex County.
    Chuck 'em in Cane Hill :)

The fact that they just can't see how illogical their argument is was worrying. I reckon you could sort of see that that the kids didn't believe it as much as the retarded adults.
  • Options
    Bloody weird. Entertaining but left more questions than it answered. One of them is training to be a nurse, which doesn't seem to fit with their beliefs (especially as she seemed quiet happy for Louis to go to hell), but she seemed a pleasant (albeit a bit giggly) type of girl and if she wasn't spouting about everyone go to hell would have been the type of girl who I think my Mum would have been quite happy for me to have taken home...

She actually seemed alright. In fact, I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say she'll be the one to fuck them all off and gain some normality. It was pretty obvious that she'd kinda just accepted the religion her parents had chosen for her. She was hesitating and struggle to answer the questions without being nervous and laughing (I think) at how ridiculous her answers sounded out loud. I'm no expert on body language, but it seemed to me that she kinda lacked conviction in her "beliefs". Oh, and the close-knit nature of the community is for obvious reason. It's because they know for a fact that the majority of the kids would fuck off if they were allowed to be presented with any logical or religious argument that disagreed with them.

Incidentally, I wonder how many people will be picketing his funeral when he dies, and how the family will feel about it when they do.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It was just such a bizarre programme. I must admit, I did find the girl quite likeable. And human - particularly in the very last interview bit. And yes, I agree with IWS - I reckon she'll become 'normal' at some point too.

It all seemed very cultish, with so much brainwashing going on. Those children should not be picketing, particularly as they have no idea what they are picketing for. And the 'pastor' was just a horrible man. It all stems from pastor 'gramps' and his daughter, Shirley (Shelly?) and I think it is quite scary how they have managed to brainwash their family.

I wonder about the ones who 'left' too.
  • Options
    I felt sorry for that little boy, he didn't really have a clue and he was just like any other kid. I don't know how as a mother she can send her children to school knowing that no one will talk to them and shout things at them because of a religion their mother has forced them to be part of, it's saddening.

Also WTF was that bloke on about in that church .... you will eat your babies :confused:
  • Options
    Yeah those poor kids were brainwashed. Even though they were to young to understand what they were protesting about. What kind of parent would bring their children up like this. :confused:

I do like Louis Theroux, he has such a clever way of subtlely giving them enough rope to hang themselves :D

• Options
    I enjoyed the programme. What a strange family!!
  • Options
    But as a cult they're one of the weirdest cults I've seen. Most keep themselves hidden away

However with the Westbore Baptist Church the younger kids go to school, the older ones work (and as often as lawyers so they're not stupid), there were pictures of them going roller skating, the kids trampolining. They were mainly polite (more so than I'd have been), and I was struck by the family photos (look at the ones in the BBC article Louis looks weirder than the girls)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6507971.stm

If they didn't go to military funerals and yell God hates fags they'd come over as a relatively normal mid-American family (perhaps a bit bigger than most)

All the other Louis Theroux's seem to be finding oddities in celebrity couples. This one seemed to be almost how 'normal' a truely weird family are....
  • Options
    I don't really get it. How can you be a lawyer if you believe that only God can judge people? Surely the very concept of supporting the human law system is flawed? I think I'm applying logic a bit too much here.
  • Options
    It was really, really interesting... they seemed to protest too much about "fags" in my view, though I suppose they did blame all the wrongs of the world on them and their "enablers". Maybe the Gramps had done some dabbling in his past, it's not normal for ANYONE - even staunch anti-gay activists - to fixate on "fags" to that extent. I'm ashamed to say we did quite a lot of laughing. It's not nice to laugh when children get hit in the head by flying objects but... maybe I'm not too nice :razz:

I, too, wondered about the fact that so many of them were lawyers... and obviously practising lawyers if they were all doing "mainstream" jobs.

When the Gramps fella was doing that broadcast thingy for their website, who was this "Graham" who was going die on his 88th birthday or something? I was confused. I was pretty amused by the way he took total exception to the question about how many kids he had, too, very telling.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I watched it from behind a book. I found it a bit upsetting actually, I live in a nice bubble, where people like this don't exist. I could not believe they would picket somebody's funeral, especially a young man's who's grieving family were trying to deal with things in their own way.
    Of course everyone is entitled to their views, but these people wouldn't listen to anybody elses.
    The man seemed to enjoy it, whereas I enjoyed my book! :p
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    It's not nice to laugh when children get hit in the head by flying objects but... maybe I'm not too nice :razz:

I thought he'd been hit by a fucking brick or something. It was a plastic cup with a drink in it. What a pussy. :p But yeah, awful, shame, disgrace and all that. Yes, we were pissing ourselves through quite a lot of it. Just the comments Louis come out with and the exact right time.
  • Options
    I'm ashamed to say we did quite a lot of laughing. It's not nice to laugh when children get hit in the head by flying objects but... maybe I'm not too nice :razz:

You weren't the only one. I couldn't help but laugh :D

Its not that kids fault, poor thing didnt even know why he was there. Gramps was just plain wiered, that guy really did have issues. I would rather let my kids sleepover at Micheal Jacksons than go anywhere near that guy. (not that I have any kids :p )

• Options
    When the Gramps fella was doing that broadcast thingy for their website, who was this "Graham" who was going die on his 88th birthday or something? I was confused. I was pretty amused by the way he took total exception to the question about how many kids he had, too, very telling.

Billie Graham I'm guessing - who he seems to think of as some wishy-washy trendy anglican vicar, rather than a hell and brimstone man that everyone else sees him as. Its all relative I suppose...
  • Options
    I set my video to tape it but it didn't work so I'll watch the repeat on Wednesday night.
  • Options
    Billie Graham I'm guessing - who he seems to think of as some wishy-washy trendy anglican vicar, rather than a hell and brimstone man that everyone else sees him as. Its all relative I suppose...

Aha, it all makes "sense" now :razz:

Cheers :thumb:

Oh yeah, glad to know I'm not the only one who laughed at the kid-and-drinking-cup-incident. I guess since I'm off to burn in hell forever anyway I might as well get a few extra kicks along the way...
  • Options
    Seriously, if they're the only twats that are going to heaven, I'd rather burn in hell.
  • Options
    I'm glad that folks on here have taken the programme for what it is i.e. a nasty cult. My mate came on msn last night after it'd been on with the screen name 'this is why I hate religion', I had to point out that what we saw on telly last night was nothing to do with Biblical Christianity, and that's something I'm sure we could all agree on whether you agree with Biblical Christianity or not. I don't know of any Christians who picket funerals, stand by the roads with pictures of guys doing each up the wrong 'un and a pastor who uses the word 'jackass' in his sermon and is incredibly aggressive and full of hate. That is not Christianity, it's a bunch of evil tossers. Christians are told to spread the good news and 'save' others, not to rejoice in them dying before they've received God and thus gone to hell!!
  • Options
    I'm ashamed to say we did quite a lot of laughing. It's not nice to laugh when children get hit in the head by flying objects but... maybe I'm not too nice :razz:

I had a few thoughts about the programme and this incident angered me.

Firstly because you have to ask what kind of cunt throws something out of a car at a kid? Incidentally doesn't that just make you wonder if they have a point about their fellow citizens.

Secondly, what kind of cunt brainwashes their kids to the point that they would appear on such a "picket" in the first place.

Thirdly, what kind of cunt would watch that happen and think it was funny? Especially when you consider that being there is hardly the kids fault.

In general I thought it was interesting, for me Louis missed out on a major line from the Bible which he should have put to them "judge not...", I also thought that the girl is likely to leave, her whole approach seemed to be less brain dead than others. I thought that the ex-journo came across badly - it's not like he doesn't have experience of outside the clan. But if ever you wondered if it was a "cult", you only had to pay attention to the three minutes of time which Louis had with the "pastor".