Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is this racist?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Or just a bit of banter?

paklodemm5.jpg

I have it on good authority that it translates as "welcome to Europe." Lithuanian police are investigating it. The story claims that it is aimed at the black players that make up Frances squad. My inclination is that it is aimed more at a jab at the number of French players born in Africa. If I had to guess, I would say the same people wouldn't create a similar banner targeted at England's black players, for example. But anyway, is there anything wrong with this? Is it any different from saying "your best player's Canadian" to an England fan, as a joke?

Comments

• Options
    are there people under there who are supposed to have a view of something?
  • Options
    Personally i think it is all down to excatly what it means and the context and reason it was used.

If it is highlighting the number of French players that were born in Africa then i don't view that as racist, if (and this is just a wild example) it was referring to peoples opinions of France owning Africa due to its colonial past there, then that would obviously be a different story.

Has the incident caused an outrage in France? or is this more hypothetical?
  • Options
    Mr Orange wrote: »
    Has the incident caused an outrage in France? or is this more hypothetical?
    France coach Raymond Domenech called the banner "scandalous and shameful."
    That's all I can find. Seems to me that the Lithuanian authorities are more keen to appear to have a zero-tolerance approach (and avoid a fine or ban). The only thing that worries me is the assumption that this is somehow an attack on France's black players. I would say that Zidane (if he still played) would've been more of a target than someone born in France like Anelka.
  • Options
    The fans with that banner were probably monkey chanting at the African players as well.

It might just be a dig at the African make-up of the France team, but the eastern Europeans are nortoriously racist, so I find it a bit more sinister.

Maybe I'm just being cynical though.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    It might just be a dig at the African make-up of the France team, but the eastern Europeans are nortoriously racist, so I find it a bit more sinister.

Hehe, d'you not see the irony of that statement? ;)

As for monkey chanting, I can't find any reports of that.
  • Options
    Tough one, I agree with Addict in that my cynical nature suggests that it was intended as racist...
  • Options
    Football is football, though it doesn't matter much all people from former French colonies are French in the eyes of the French government.
  • Options
    poor bastards stuck under that sheet, not being able to see. THEY PAID FOR THEIR TICKETS TOO DAMN IT!:mad: