Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

British Teacher Murdered In Japan

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I mean't I can't spell, I spelt Grammer instead of Grammar.
  • Options
    I knew what you meant :D
  • Options
    It's always big news in Japan if a white person disappears or is murdered, it's just the way their (and our) media works. Not that it shouldn't be news as such, but there is a lot of resentment that if it was a news story about a native being murdered then the story wouldn't even make it off the island.

It's also kind of unhelpful as we hear these stories and the scaremongering starts up about the Japanese and the supposed "dangers" of living/working/travelling there. I know at least a dozen people who have worked as EFL teachers in Japan without being murdered or even getting a dirty look. I do agree that the murders in Japan/committed by Japanese that we hear of are always really grisly and gruesome but I'm sure they also have as many garden variety kitchen knife murders as we do here in the UK.

It's very sad, and worrying as the amount of young people teaching abroad is ever on the increase, but not really something we can "debate". I'm sure the victim stayed safe, and took all humanly possible precautions against crime. But you just never know, and she was unfortunate enough to trust the wrong person. Was she there for an English lesson, do we know?

Anyway, I hope they catch up with the flat-owner, and soon. He fled barefoot and in a hurry, how long could it take to find him?
  • Options
    I've heard 2 stories.

1 was she was sharing a flat with 2 other teachers, A canadian and an aussie. the killer knocked on the door asking for a drink of water and when he was let in he killed the woman.

another is she was giving him private lessons (something that was banned by her language school)
  • Options
    But wasn't she found in his/some other flat? Rather than her own. Which is why she wasn't found immediately. I read that she was reported missing after not being in contact with her flatmate, and then the language school filed a report. Hmm, could be confused about the details though.

It sounds pre-meditated to me, and the details about the sheet on the balcony are very strange. If you knocked on someone's door to murder them you probably wouldn't arse on with a bath full of sand.

It's true that lots of language schools ban private lessons but in a place like Japan where there are lots of people keen to improve their English and able to reward handsomely for it... well who's going to listen to some bossy head of school? We all think we know better than the rules at times, I suppose.
  • Options
    I think the one I posted is wrong. She came to teach lesson in his house and then he did her in.

As I said earlier, I think he was re enacting a scene from a manga he owns. Of course the mirror always pins these murders on something.