Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The absurdity of the smoking ban.

124»

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I agree that it's absurd, but I thought of something...
    If shisha bars are excempt, what's to stop all other bars from turning into one of them to escape the ban?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I agree that it's absurd, but I thought of something...
    If shisha bars are excempt, what's to stop all other bars from turning into one of them to escape the ban?

Well because you still wouldn't be able to smoke tobacco. But anyway, I think the idea of making shisha cafes exempt is bullshit. It should be everyone or no-one. You can't make a case based on health grounds, then make a few places exempt because their business might suffer. Either second hand smoke causes health problems, or it doesn't. But if it does, it does everywhere.
  • Options
    I think the idea of making shisha cafes exempt is bullshit. It should be everyone or no-one.

:yes:

Thats my opinion. All though I feel for the Shisha business, I don't see why they should be exempt.

A [SIZE=-1]voluntary[/SIZE] ban would have been a better idea.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The difference is that you (supposedly) can go to a normal cafe and have an opportunity to smoke, but you go to a shisha one in order to smoke.
  • Options
    Well because you still wouldn't be able to smoke tobacco. But anyway, I think the idea of making shisha cafes exempt is bullshit. It should be everyone or no-one. You can't make a case based on health grounds, then make a few places exempt because their business might suffer. Either second hand smoke causes health problems, or it doesn't. But if it does, it does everywhere.

God bless blanket laws; they take all the thinking out of policy making.

I propose banning drinking - i mean, either it causes problems or it doesn't - it's just that straight forward.
  • Options
  • Options
    highlander wrote: »

Its hardly persecusion. :yeees:

A friend of mine who lives in Cardiff says the ban there is great, seemingly no effects on busyness of places either. Only change is that smokers hang around outside.

I also went to a non smoking pub yesterday then went into a smoking one. The difference is amazing.
  • Options
    You can't make a case based on health grounds, then make a few places exempt because their business might suffer. Either second hand smoke causes health problems, or it doesn't. But if it does, it does everywhere.

You're completely missing the point. People who enter Shisha bars pretty much accept their health might be at risk, in the same way smokers accept theirs are by smoking. Put simply, if you're worried about your health, don't go there. It's not hard.

What next, metal gigs banning mosh pits for fear of people not knowing they may get injured/hurt upon entering one? Hardhouse clubs agreeing to stay below a certain volume because of people not realising the possible long term damage to their hearing? Give me a break.
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    A friend of mine who lives in Cardiff says the ban there is great, seemingly no effects on busyness of places either.

:rolleyes: Surely the ban hasn't been in place long enough to judge the business impact in Wales...

In Scotland though where the ban has been in long enough to observe the effects it's clear that the smoking ban is bad for business.

Entirely unsurprising really. People who regularly go to pubs are a lot more likely to smoke than those who don't.
    Renzo wrote: »
    I also went to a non smoking pub yesterday then went into a smoking one. The difference is amazing.

Good for you. Any tolerant society would allow people to exercise such freedom of choice. Some pubs don't cater for smokers and others do. It works fine. The problem is with those intolerant non-smokers (who are less likely to go to pubs anyway) thinking they have a 'right' to enter a private business and for the landlord to be forced to ban smoking just to make them happy.

The smoking ban is illiberal and totalitarian. And scarily, for the anti-smoking fanatics that pushed so hard for a ban this is just the beginning.

Expect calls for smoking bans in outside dining areas, parks and cars next...(The anti-smoking lobby in some places has already done this, in some parts of California and Australia this is already happening). Even freedom of expression is under attack - some of the anti-smokers want to ban directors from depicting smoking. These people won't stop until cigarettes are a Class A drug.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    What next, metal gigs banning mosh pits for fear of people not knowing they may get injured/hurt upon entering one? Hardhouse clubs agreeing to stay below a certain volume because of people not realising the possible long term damage to their hearing? Give me a break.

at this rate we're not far off......ban every form of pleasure and scare everyone into submission until we're all mindless drones. but hey, at least we'll be safe drones.
  • Options
    These people won't stop until cigarettes are a Class A drug.

Punishable by death, excommunication and posthumous castration.

All hail (or should that be 'heil') the smoking ban.

It's only a matter of time before other things that are mildly bad for you start being banned too.
  • Options
    Freedom is correct.

Try reading this. This is what happens when smoking bans go "beyond the legislation"

In California, the dark state of insanity, there are proposals to ban smoking in private homes as well.
    The scottish ban is a total disaster but all you hear in the media is how great it has been. There was no need whatsoever for the legislation.
  • Options
    highlander wrote: »
    In California, the dark state of insanity, there are proposals to ban smoking in private homes as well.

WHAT THE FUCK?

Why don't they just issue everyone in the state with a blue uniform and assign them a number instead of a name. That has to be about the most fascist thing I have ever heard. Land of the free indeed...

Last time I checked, politicians were elected to serve, not to rule.
  • Options
    First I've heard about the Cali thing. Although I'm wondering, who exactly is going to enforce it, and how is it going to be enforced?

"Gangland shooting and multiple-homicide in downtown LA... Wait, scratch that - an anonymous caller confirms seeing one caucasian male, mid forties smoking in his own home! ALL UNITS RESPOND!"
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    First I've heard about the Cali thing. Although I'm wondering, who exactly is going to enforce it, and how is it going to be enforced?

I don't think the issue is how it'll be enforced because to be perfectly honest, it's virtually impossible to enforce something as stupid as a ban on smoking in private residences. The issue is the principle that they think they can impose themselves and their own personal beliefs that far into people's lives that to all intents and purposes, smoking becomes illegal since you're not even allowed to do it in the privacy of your own home.
  • Options
    I don't think the issue is how it'll be enforced because to be perfectly honest, it's virtually impossible to enforce something as stupid as a ban on smoking in private residences. The issue is the principle that they think they can impose themselves and their own personal beliefs that far into people's lives that to all intents and purposes, smoking becomes illegal since you're not even allowed to do it in the privacy of your own home.

My point was more along the lines of, if it cannot possibly be enforced, what's the point passing the law? As Albert Einstein said (about US alcohol prohibition):

"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this."