Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The absurdity of the smoking ban.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    HanHan wrote: »
    OK...hmmm...I may have got it a little wrong about smoking in the streets...:blush: makes no mention of it here: http://www.smokefreeislington.nhs.uk/PAGES/go.asp?PageID=676&Path=3&parent=670.0700&instance=715

It's things like you're not allowed smoking shelters on the street outside buildings, etc.....but check out the bit about exemptions!! They HAVE made some (to hotels, psychiatric hospitals, etc...)...if they're willing to make some exemptions (especially to hotels...why hotels??), then why not to other establishments like shisha cafes?? :confused: It's all a bit confusing...

They justify it on the basis of residential areas - as a hotel is essentially a home then you can smoke there - though probably it'll only be allowed in private rooms.
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    They justify it on the basis of residential areas - as a hotel is essentially a home then you can smoke there - though probably it'll only be allowed in private rooms.

Think that's just daft...a hotel might be made up to look like a home, but it's still a commercial venture!! As are shisha cafes, bars, restaurants, pubs, etc....all seems a bit odd to me....:chin:
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    They are bringing it in slowly in psychiatric hospitals, and I guess it will be brought in in prisons at some point too, but I wouldnt want to be a guard when they do.

:crazyeyes :nervous:

Time to wheel in the army for when that day arrives...

There'll be fucking riots!
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Can't see why any rational person would support closing these Shisha Cafes down.

I can't either.

As much as I hate smoking and think it's a disgusting habut, I think there should be somewhere for smokers to go and have a cigarette without non-smokers having to breath their smoke in.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    at the end of the day laws are made to protect people just because they have been doing it before doesnt mean its right for them to carry on doing it,

*coughs*

Speed bumps, speedcameras

*coughs*
  • Options
    *coughs*

Speed bumps, speedcameras

*coughs*

I heard on Radio 2 today, that we have 1% of the world's population and 20% of the world's security cameras. Are we such a dangerous lot that we need to be constantly monitored or do the words 'big', 'brother', 'nanny' and 'state' come to mind?
  • Options
    I heard on Radio 2 today, that we have 1% of the world's population and 20% of the world's security cameras. Are we such a dangerous lot that we need to be constantly monitored or do the words 'big', 'brother', 'nanny' and 'state' come to mind?

I heard that too. While having my teeth drilled in a dentists chair. :sour:
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,283 Skive's The Limit
    I heard on Radio 2 today, that we have 1% of the world's population and 20% of the world's security cameras.

I heard that too.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23390407-details/UK+has+1%+of+world's+population+but+20%+of+its+CCTV+cameras/article.do
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I heard that too. While having my teeth drilled in a dentists chair. :sour:

Fair enough. I wonder what Thunderstruck's excuse for listening to Radio 2 is. :p
  • Options

There really isnt any decent evidence that they help reduce over all crime, especially given most cameras arent anywhere near good enough to identify people in court.
  • Options
    Fair enough. I wonder what Thunderstruck's excuse for listening to Radio 2 is. :p

It was on in the car and I wanted to listen to the news :p

That and Ken Bruce's soothing voice averts road rage - FACT
    budda wrote:
    There really isnt any decent evidence that they help reduce over all crime, especially given most cameras arent anywhere near good enough to identify people in court.

Which begs the question what are they doing there in the first place if not to cut crime?
  • Options
    Which begs the question what are they doing there in the first place if not to cut crime?

It moves crime about a bit, and its supposed to make people feel safer.
  • Options
    It moves crime about a bit, and its supposed to make people feel safer.

And keeps YouTube and You've Been Framed in Business :D
  • Options
    I was in the pub yesterday and all I kept thinking was "I can't wait for the bloody smoking ban".
  • Options
    Here in Scotland we've had the smoking ban for over a year now. Scotland's gone all continental and there are provisions outside cafes, bars, nightclubs etc for smokers- so they have outside seating and heat lamps, that kind of thing. Some businesses have suffered as a result I'm sure but on the other hand maybe some have increased trade too? (also a possibility) I think the Bingo is really feeling the ban and they are really pushing bingo here at the moment :yum:

As a non smoker though, the ban is great. I can go out and my eyes don't hurt, I can eat without a facefull of smoke...and ultimately an incentive to stop people smoking can't be that bad. Being back down in England, was such a "smoke-shock."

Try it and see, it might be more positive than expected.
  • Options
    silverhalo wrote: »
    Try it and see, it might be more positive than expected.

Pubs I can deal with, places where you eat certainly should be smoke free, but clubs?! No, thats just wrong.
  • Options
    Pubs I can deal with, places where you eat certainly should be smoke free, but clubs?! No, thats just wrong.

Although, it is far easier to have smoking and non-smoking areas in pubs and restaurants than it is in clubs.

I'm not looking forward to the ban, although, coincidentally the day it comes in I'm leaving for Berlin where I'll be until September improving my German. (And in Germany non-smoking areas seem to be unheard of, restaurants/cafes/bars/clubs seem to be smoking throughout :p ) Although, I do end up smoking much more in Germany so coming back and starting uni and experiencing the ban will probably do me some good. The ban is still a very bad idea though.
  • Options
    Berlin is fucking cool as fuck.

Even if there is a smoking in Germany I doubt it'd be much observed in some of the buildings and bars I went to in Berlin :D
  • Options
    :yes: Recently did the inter-rail thing around Europe with some friends and Berlin was deffo the highlight. Quality clubs and bars, interesting history, decent beer, better kebabs :p Can't wait to go back.
  • Options
    The price of 'babs in Berlin never failed to astound me. Any cheaper and they'd be paying you to partake... by all accounts a LOT nicer than your average 3am kebab in the UK too :p I actually know a kebab shop owner in Berlin, last time I saw him he asked me to send over proof of my claims that a mixed kebab in Newcastle is going to set you back about a fiver. Tsk. He was utterly incredulous.

Anyway to relate this back to smoking, you can even spark up in most kebab shops in Germany - they have non-smoking sections and non-smokers use them without this grumbling undercurrent of resentment that we have here.

Who'd have thunk anyone would ever be proclaiming the Germans as easy-going and free-thinking compared to Britain eh :chin: ;)
  • Options
    They have a lot more Turkish people in Germany. Maybe that's why they're better at ye olde kebab shop.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    The price of 'babs in Berlin never failed to astound me. Any cheaper and they'd be paying you to partake... by all accounts a LOT nicer than your average 3am kebab in the UK too :p

Don't forget currywurst as well! Sausage, ketchup and curry powder. Awesome stuff.
    briggi wrote: »
    Who'd have thunk anyone would ever be proclaiming the Germans as easy-going and free-thinking compared to Britain eh :chin: ;)

Berlin in particular is very liberal. It's probably the most gay-friendly city in Europe. Germany as a whole seems more relaxed and easy-going than Britain, it's quite sad that humourless Nazi sun-bed stealing stereotypes still exist...really could not be further from the truth. Of course not all of Germany is like Berlin, Bavaria isn't so liberal and the Germans are having some problems with the far-right in some parts of what was East Germany. (But whilst the media constantly reminds us of the problems with the far-right in Germany the far-right is actually bigger in France where Le Pen commands a lot of support. And it's not as if Britain doesn't have its own far-right problem). I really am a total 'Germanophile.'
  • Options
    I hate smoking, as an asthmatic, but shisha doesn't really bother me, in fact I've smoked it myself a couple of times (although generally tink people who go to specal bars for it may be a bit daft, how much does it cost cimpared to doing it at hime?)
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    I hate smoking, as an asthmatic, but shisha doesn't really bother me, in fact I've smoked it myself a couple of times (although generally tink people who go to specal bars for it may be a bit daft, how much does it cost cimpared to doing it at hime?)

Yeah, but it's a social thing to do! Would be completely different atmosphere just sitting at home smoking it with a couple of friends..it's nice to go out and go to one of these cafes when it's jam packed and everyone's having a good time.....I'm going to miss it.....:(
  • Options
    how much does it cost? I've never been to a shisha bar, only ever done it at peoples houses. Find the smoke doesn't bother me in the same way cigarette smoke does.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    how much does it cost? I've never been to a shisha bar, only ever done it at peoples houses. Find the smoke doesn't bother me in the same way cigarette smoke does.

Hmm..not entirely sure, because normally go with a group and just chuck a couple of £ in...but around £10/£12?? Think it depends what tobacco you put in it too...
  • Options
    Petition to exempt shisha bars

Very unlikely to make any difference but worth signing nonetheless if you think banning shisha smoking in a cafe that exists for the purpose of smoking shisha is absurd...

Petition.

Unless there is an exemption shisha bars throughout Britain will go out of business overnight - whilst the smoking ban will badly hurt pubs and restaurants it won't immediately put them out of business.
  • Options
    Signed it.
  • Options
    Signed
  • Options
    :thumb: