Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Am I entitled to a tax rebate?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm kind of confused as to whether I'm entitled to claim for a rebate? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks. :)

As the situation was...

I was in an ICT training center called T2 Skills when I joined an agency. Through them I got my first job as an Audio Typist working for a Liability Adjusters. For two weeks I worked through the agency on a "trial" period before being taken-on on a permanent basis as a Junior Audio Typist by the company. As this was my first and only job I’ve had I wasn’t aware of the procedures involved (P45’s? 46’s?) and was told that I wouldn’t be taxed before I earned a certain amount of money because I was under 18 (I was 16). I didn't think any different as neither the agency nor company said any different but for the two weeks I worked through the agency and the two months for the actual company I was emergency taxed. The one month being emergency taxed £250! :eek:

Only recently when I went on work experience for the new training provider I'm with did I discover that I could be entitled to a rebate when the subject of payroll and tax come up (the woman I was working with does all the accounts, payroll, etc.) and she told me to get in contact as soon as possible with the tax office before the end of the tax year.

My question is, am I? Or would that be considered my fault for not bothering to sort it out? :crying:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you are entitled to a tax rebate, then you should get it around April, which is the next tax year.

It is true that you can't be taxed if you're earning under a certain amoun. (ust over £5000 per year I think)
    Tax Free Allowance £5035

Your best of asking Jolly Knockers :D She works for the tax office so will know best.

Im sure she will give you some advice if you ask her nicely.

:thumb:
    The tax rebate form is actually very easy to fill in (a novelty for tax forms) all you do is fill in your details, your NI number, what you earnt and what you were taxed. You can then even add bank account details so they can transfer the rebate straight to you. Then just send it off, wait a while and it comes right back to you (as long as you are entitled to it that is).
    budda wrote: »
    The tax rebate form is actually very easy to fill in (a novelty for tax forms)
    :lol: I hate tax forms with a passion, I have a huge pile of P14/60's to do manually this year.

Was the tax deducted in this finacially year or a previous one? If it was this year you might have to wait until you get your P60 in May before you can apply for the rebate, but if its for a period before this tax year you can apply now. (I think, my knowledge on claiming tax rebates is a bit patchy)
    Sounds like you may well be due a repayment. If you are due a repayment you will get it back so don't worry. It's best to write in though. We review peoples records on an "as and when" basis using lists and it might take years for your name to pop up.

At this point in the financial year you are best off sending in all your P45's and the P60 you will get by the end of May. Attach a covering letter detailing all employments and any periods of claiming JSA or no income in the 2006/2007 financial year (6th April 2006 til 5th April 2007). Make sure your National Insurance Number and address is included in the letter.

The form P50 that Budda refers to is better for in year repayments where you have been out of work and not claiming benefits for a period of four weeks or more.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for all the advice guys! :)

Joolyknockers, the only problem I have now is that I don't have the P45 from Garwyn, the company I worked for. I rang up last week and requested they sent it to me along with my last pay slip (I left before I was given it) and they said that I should have already recieved it by now and that they couldn't legally issue a second one but they'd send me a 'Statement of Earnings' (or something like that...), is that okay instead?

As well, I haven't worked since and there was a time when I wasn't doing anything after leaving but since October I've been in an education program recieving £50 a week, so... its the P60 I have to wait for?

Thanks again.

If I do get a rebate I should get a nice £450 (or something like it) back. :D
    A statement of earnings is usually fine if the original P45 has gone missing.

I'm not sure whether the £50 a week training allowance counts as taxable income to be honest. I don't think it does count but without all the manuals I have at work I wouldn't like to swear on it!!

Does the education programme give you payslips when they pay you? It might be worth contacting their payroll office to check whether it is or not. If it is taxable, then yeah - all you need is your P60 from them and you are good to go. If it isn't taxable then just write "From October - present day - In full time education" in your employment history and just send your paperwork in now.