Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Internationals

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Israel vs England
Scotland vs Georgia
Republic of Ireland vs Wales
Liechtenstein v N Ireland

Thoughts? Hopes? Predictions?

I think England might struggle against Israel but I don't think they'll lose because there's too much riding on it. 1-1.

I hope Scotland beat Georgia and continue their qualification hopes. 2-0.

I think Wales will beat Ireland and that will end Steve Staunton's shite managerial tenure. 1-0.

Norn Iron to beat Liechenstein 2-0. Healy and Lafferty on score sheet.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    According to a friend of mine, England are going to lose. (this is the same person who thinks that Plymouth will be relgated this season :lol: )
    Sofie wrote: »
    According to a friend of mine, England are going to lose. (this is the same person who thinks that Plymouth will be relgated this season :lol: )

If they lost, and McClaren lost his job, it would be a blessing in disguise IMO.
    In one way maybe.

I do hope we win though tomorrow.

Hopefully, Scotland, ROI & Northern Ireland will also win tomorrow.
    I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. We've already beaten France but we we were underdogs then and every cunt and their dog thinks Georgia will be a walk in the park. They're a decent team and I think we'll win 1-0 with a Kris Boyd goal.

Then Italy away on Wednesday, really looking forward to that actually.

England will probably do what England are best at - play shite but scraping a lucky 1-0. Somebody is bound to get sent off too.

Hope the Irish fuck the Taffs over big style.
    Are England bringing any fans over? I reckon it'll be the usual bore draw. Either that or a win despite playing shit, and all the papers spunking their goo over how good we are tomorrow.

Wales have never been great at ruining a party, and I reckon they'll get fucked over big style.

Scotland will win at home. If it was in Georgia, I wouldn't fancy them, but I can't see Georgia being great travellers.

N. Ireland will win. Remember to sing God Save The Queen as loud as you can. ;)

2 for 2 right so far. :) Well, if you apply the term fucked over fairly liberally.
    Ireland have been poor recently, so hopefully we can win it. It'll be tight though. 1-0. England will play shite as usual and perhaps scrape a win, we'll see if the Hargreaves effect gives them a boost though. I reckon Scotland will get a score draw. Northern Ireland should beat Lichenstien. 2-0.

ETA: Fucking hell, I can't listen to Wales v Ireland off the BBC website. Rights restrictions wtf?
    Israel 1-2 England
    Scotland 1-1 Georgia
    Republic of Ireland 2-0 Wales
    Liechtenstein 0-3 N Ireland
    What a dire performance from Ireland but 3 points in the bag is alright.

Now all we need is Norn Iron to win and those English cunts to get beat.
    "1916 HALF-TIME: The half-time whistle goes in Israel. Thank God. It's been turgid stuff, pretty much what we've come to expect from England of late. We were promised blood and guts sort of stuff, but it's just been bloody gutless so far against a pretty average Israel side. "

From BBC website. Never read it before when it's been quite so emotional from the writers perspective...

I mean "bloody gutless"?

He's right though.
    Pathetic.

I look forward to tomorrow's back pages.
    Alan Green is one of the pundits that tells it how it is. I didn't watch the match, but I listened to the first half on 5Live (couldn't take any more, and I had to drive home from work) and it didn't surprise me one bit. I don't know what Graham Taylor's saying about being surprised by how bad we are. I'm never surprised by how bad England are any more. We need to replace the entire first 11 for a competitive match, just so they know that their place isn't guaranteed. I can't stand an England team where none of them give a shit, and I can't stand gutless managers that will play the big players in the big games regardless of how well they do. Do you think if Wayne Rooney consistantly plays shit against Wigan or Watford, then Alex Ferguson will pick him against Chelsea and Liverpool? Would he fuck.
    I'm never surprised by how bad England are any more. We need to replace the entire first 11 for a competitive match, just so they know that their place isn't guaranteed. I can't stand an England team where none of them give a shit, and I can't stand gutless managers that will play the big players in the big games regardless of how well they do.

yep. get some u-21s in....drop lampard, maybe rooney, plus anyone else who expects to play regradless of form.
    Bye bye Stevie M. After yet another pathetic performance, the FA have to get rid of this clueless wanker.

England, in keeping with the fact that they've only scored one goal in their last five matches, were boring, completely lacking ideas, their attacks were so schoolboy the Israeli defence must have thought Hannukah had come early.

It's quite clear that Fat Frank and Gerrard can't play on the same team together and personally I rekon Lampard should be dropped personally. Gerrard at least played ok tonight and consistently better than Frank for England.

Absolutely soulless, dispassionate and boring. I wouldn't be at all suprised if we don't qualify for 2008.
    What a boring game.
    I didnt see the Wales game but we're out the running now.

The England game was the most boring football match I've ever seen. That passing around the back four made such attractive football to watch. :yeees:
    I had more fun taking a dump then watching England....
    I'm never surprised by how bad England are any more..

For me this is the key point.

I cannot remember the last time I was excited about an England game because they might impress me. I should never be made to feel like that.

Lampard may be quality for Chelsea but he's shite for England. I heard Mark bright on 5Live and he said that Gerrard practically won the FA Cup and Champions League for Liverpool singlehandedly and he's right - what he failed to say was that in both cases he was played through the middle and not on the right wing. FFS.

I go back to something I have said here before - you should pick the formations and then the players to fit. Sadly we have seen the past two managers picking players by name and reputation and not based on what they will offer the formation.

When I look at N. Ireland I see a team. I don't see world class (or even Prem Class) players but I see a formation and the best players to fit that formation and it seems to be working for them.

Like Thunder said previously in this thread, McLaren has been given a chance and he's been found wanting. I've backed him in the past because he deserved that, but he simply isn;t good enough and say what you like about Keegan's tactical ineptitude, at least he knew when to go. McLaren should see it for himself. Having said that, after his comments tonight about "the only thing missing was a goal" - therefore missing the lack of creativity, passion and tactics - I don't think that he can see how poor we really are. As for his subs, when your tactics aren;t working you don't change like-for-like, you change the approach...

Albert Einstein once said that the definition of madness was doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results and who am I to argue with him. Shame the FA and McLaren aren't so intelligent.
    tod you it wouldnt be eassjt

WHEN YKPI HRAR THE NOISE OF THE TARRNT ARMMMY BOYS WELLL BE COMINNG ROUND TI
    haha my flatmates from englaerand and you loy were PISG0+H
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    tod you it wouldnt be eassjt

WHEN YKPI HRAR THE NOISE OF THE TARRNT ARMMMY BOYS WELLL BE COMINNG ROUND TI
    haha my flatmates from englaerand and you loy were PISG0+H

Did you have a couple of pints to celebrate last night Bri? :thumb:
    McClaren is an absolute fool. Fat Frank needs dropped. It's clear to me now that at Chelsea he's made to look good because of Makelele and Essien minding him and doing all his work. Without his minders he's useless. Joey Barton would be better.

I don't know why Rooney can't transfer his club form to international, but I wouldn't blame a lack of heart or cite complacency as a factor. Rooney's not that type of player, but it's just not working out for him. Maybe he needs to be put on the bench and used as a sub.

The boot lies with the manager though. England missed out by not signing Scolari. He gets the best out of players at international level and his Portugal side are twice as good as England footballing wise, with arguably a less talented 11.

So who's fault is it? The media! They scared Scolari off with their interference, and they forced the FA into appointing an underqualified smiling English numpty.

Also, Northern Ireland have the best striker in international football!

Away in a manger,
    No crib for a bed,
    The little Lord Jesus,
    Laid down his sweet head,
    The stars in the bright sky,
    Looked down where HEALY HEALY HEALY HEALY!

:D
    In form players never get picked - that's the problem. And when someone new does come in, they get 10 minutes out of position. They've got a settled squad of superstars who don't consider an away fixture at Israel or Croatia to be one of their big games of the season. Why was Joey Barton not in the squad? Why was Danny Murphy not picked a couple of years ago when he was doing so well with Charlton? Why was Scott Parker never picked (I don't think) when he was at Charlton? Why did Reo Coker not get picked last year? You may say where are they now, but the point is that you should be playing the best players at the time of the game, and you should actually be playing them, not picking them to sit on their arses. None of this "understanding" bullshit, because we've had the same team for the past 4 or 5 years, and they still don't have a clue how to play together. And what really gets me is friendlies. I can understand why you might not want to throw in a player at the deep end in a competitive match, but why do we still start with the regular lineup in friendlies, then bring all the others on as substitutes?
    And when someone new does come in, they get 10 minutes out of position.

Last night we had

Left Back - Carragher (Central Defender)
    Right Back - Neville (Centre Mide/Left Defence)
    Right Wing - Gerrard (Centre Mid)
    Left Wing - Lennon (Right Wing)

... and we wonder why we struggle. When you play the best midfielder in the country out of position and so *only* play the second best in the middle then you are on a hiding to nothing at the outset.
    And what does that say to other players that play in those positions, like Paul Konchesky, Luke Young, David Bentley? It seems to me that unless you play for a top team, you don't have a chance in competitive matches, and if you play for a top team, your place is guarenteed. And players like Micah Richards, Luke Young, Shaun Wright-Phillips while he was still at Man City, have proved that if you give them a decent crack of it, you'll get the odd gem in the lower teams. Even Joey Barton was the best player on the pitch (not hard) for the 10 minutes he played.
    Just listening again to last nights 606. What a twat McLaren is. In his interview, apparently the "only thing" wrong with our performance was a goal. He seems to think we actually played well. The guy's fucking deluded. Oh, and let's make Gerrard captain. His post-match analysis was spot on. John Terry's just a parrot like Beckham was.
    An absolutely awful display from what I saw but was that bored with it that I turned over for the cricket instead half way through. A 0-0 draw is not good enough Steve McClown. We've had our worst run in many a year and despite having a group that we should comfortably qualify from, chances are we won't.

Can you see us beating Russia? I can't. Looks like the summer of 2008 will be a boring one for England supporters.

The general public knew what England would be like under McClown and many, myself included were right to doubt the appointment. The only fans pleased with it would have been Middlesbrough fans but the FA didn't have the guts to appoint anyone else.

Resign now Steve, we are going nowhere with you in charge.
    Renzo wrote: »
    Did you have a couple of pints to celebrate last night Bri? :thumb:

Oh yes, I had to get a flight to London bright and breezy this morning which I was very ill on :thumb:

We weren't great, but we got the job done.

I'd pay to see Wrighty's face if us or Norn Iron qualified and they didn't :lol:
    All I can say is, please, please, please Dean Ashton get well soon.

Rooney is not an out-and-out striker. We all know that. So why is McClaren playing him as one? Rooney works best when he has at least one, preferrably two strikers ahead of him so he can sit behind and do what he does best. Johnson is also the kind of striker who likes to play off people. He worked hard yesterday but as usual got fuck all service and thus all his running was to no avail.

My England team, given current shiteness of injury situation would be the following

Robinson

Richards Ferdinand Terry Neville

Lennon Hargreaves Gerrard Downing

Rooney

Defoe / Johnson

Ideally, I'd give David Nugent, Theo Walcott or some of the other young-uns get a run around. Let's face it - things can't get much worse that they currently are and I imagine they'd put a lot more effort in than Fat Frank and co.

Lampard needs to be dropped. Might give the wanker a reality check and force him to actually put some effort into his England performances. Secondly, players need to be played in the positions they're best at. Pick the formation, then the players to suit it, not the other way round. Just as you wouldn't have Michael Vaughan opening the bowling, you wouldn't have Aaron Lennon playing on the left wing and Stevie Gerrard playing on the right wing just so Lampard can play centre-mid.

Something needs to be done very soon.
    So, any predictions for tomorrow night?

My heart says we can get something in Italy, but my head says we're playing the World Champions and we're gonna get beat 3-0.

I'd love to see the Northern Irish get something too, you confident Addict?
    Hopefully we can beat a bunch of part-timers. if not then...well!
    If Wales don't beat San Marino I'm actually going to cry.