Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Problems with putting on weight & keeping it

Is there any way of me actually being able to put on weight and keep it without eating all the time? I noticed this morning (and last weekend) that I've lost weight - which I really don't need/want to do right now.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm finding it really hard to put weight on. It took me a year to put a stone on, and then I've had a real struggle staying at that weight. I still need to put on about a stone as well. :(

Just eat lots of carbs, and try and up your portions a little bit at a time. I was having pasta for lunch every day which seemed to help a bit. Snack on pancakes, have extra potatoes etc...

Just keep at it.

I'm sure it's much harder putting on weight when you're trying to than people who're trying to lose. :rolleyes:

Anyone for a fat transplant? :p
    LOL

I will try to do what you say and see what happens, thank you.

Was talking to my dad about something earlier and he did say that being skinny (as well as being short) does run in the family.
    Lu_C wrote: »

Anyone for a fat transplant? :p

Id gladly give you some of mine. i have plenty to pass around;)
    Eat smaller portions but more often.
    Basically to gain weight you need to eat more than you are burning off.
    Dont go down the route of eating a load of crap though, it may make you put on weight but not the good kind, you need to eat more carbs and protein than you are currently eating.
    Try adding an extra chicken breast to a meal or add an extra handful of pasta etc..your body will soon get used to eating more
    I think I remember reading here, Kaffrin, maybe, suggested adding a slimfast or some other thing like that to your meals to add on some calories. Seemed like a good idea.
    you can have the stone i put on when i went on the pill!
    my_name wrote: »
    I think I remember reading here, Kaffrin, maybe, suggested adding a slimfast or some other thing like that to your meals to add on some calories. Seemed like a good idea.

I think I know what you're talking about. Wasn't it something along the lines of drinking Slimfast milkshakes (which I can't have anyway) and then have a meal as well?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    you can have the stone i put on when i went on the pill!

You can have the stone I've had from the pill as well! Just bulk up slowly and add more protien/carbs to your meals.
    Cheers. I will try that.
    Sods law, I put no weight on when I went on the pill. Tut. :rolleyes:
    Lu_C wrote: »
    Sods law, I put no weight on when I went on the pill. Tut. :rolleyes:
    Neither did I :(
    I'm going through the same thing at the moment, put on about half a stone took me about a year, n lost it within the last 6 months or so :crying: Does my head in too

Been told to get shakes for actual weight gain, not like the protien ones, apparently theyre different, cos protien ones put muscle on the areas you work on rather than actually body mass kinda thing, dunno if thats right like

Sucks not actually bein able to keep weight on :impissed:
    Thanks. I have just found some stuff on Boots.co.uk but they're all for sports people and are potein shakes or something.
    Sofie wrote: »
    I think I know what you're talking about. Wasn't it something along the lines of drinking Slimfast milkshakes (which I can't have anyway) and then have a meal as well?

:yes:

It's just extra calories. As long as you don't drink them instead of meals, it can help. Why can't you have them? If it's a lactose thing, try getting the powder instead of the actual shakes (most supermarkets do a cheaper version) and putting it in soya milk or lactofree.

I just managed to put the stone I needed on quite recently, and have been maintaining it quite nicely since the end of January. There's no big secret to it, you just have to get the calories in. I got my appetite back quite spectacularly just after Christmas, and it paid off.

If you can't face eating absolutely shitloads, try snacking on high calorie things that are actually good for you, like nuts and seeds. I used to chuck a whole load of pine nuts in almost everything I ate.

Lastly, if you haven't changed your eating habits or started exercising more and have suddenly dropped weight, you should consider seeing a doctor.
    kaffrin wrote: »
    It's just extra calories. As long as you don't drink them instead of meals, it can help. Why can't you have them? If it's a lactose thing, try getting the powder instead of the actual shakes (most supermarkets do a cheaper version) and putting it in soya milk or lactofree.

It is because of the milk. I think we do have some of this somewhere.
    Lastly, if you haven't changed your eating habits or started exercising more and have suddenly dropped weight, you should consider seeing a doctor.

Will do. I think what's makes this harder for me is that because of the buses and where I'm based a few days a week, I have to walk anything up to about 2.5 miles in one day.

The lady speaks the troof :yes:
    Is there any difference between the slimfast that's made with hot water and the one made with milk?
    This may sound a little gross, but it worked for me, although I never got around to trying it again.

Eat chicken, and lots of it. Chicken for lunch, chicken for dinner. I had a meal with chicken in it (chicken fingers, fried chicken, buffalo wings, chicken filets, whatever) at least once day for around 2 weeks last year and I put on 10 pounds in that time, haven't lost any of it either. I have a really high metabolism so it's nearly impossible for me to put on weight, but for some reason this worked. Also, make sure you eat some kind of fried chicken as much as possible in this diet (you may want to cut this part out if you don't get regular exercise).

I would suggest trying some of the more proven techniques everyone else described first, but if they don't work, give this a shot.
    ibanezdude wrote: »
    This may sound a little gross, but it worked for me, although I never got around to trying it again.

Eat chicken, and lots of it. Chicken for lunch, chicken for dinner. I had a meal with chicken in it (chicken fingers, fried chicken, buffalo wings, chicken filets, whatever) at least once day for around 2 weeks last year and I put on 10 pounds in that time, haven't lost any of it either. I have a really high metabolism so it's nearly impossible for me to put on weight, but for some reason this worked. Also, make sure you eat some kind of fried chicken as much as possible in this diet (you may want to cut this part out if you don't get regular exercise).

I would suggest trying some of the more proven techniques everyone else described first, but if they don't work, give this a shot.

Weird.

Does kind of make me wonder how you came across this technique in the first place though... :eek2:
    That just sounds odd. Not something I'd personally do.

I think I'll have a go at the Slimfast thing. Anyone know if they do a lactose free version of this stuff? Or would I have to just buy the powder and mix it with soya milk?